Topic: 1940 Wagon Questions

deuce_roadster    -- 09-13-2011 @ 11:04 AM
  Mike, can you answer questions about 40 wagons? I sent you a PM with some. You can respond to my questions either here or as a PM if you wish.

Stroker    -- 09-13-2011 @ 1:54 PM
  deuce_roadster:

Why not just post your questions, and maybe Alanwoodieman, myself, or some other National Woodie Club member can help you.

Dan

deuce_roadster    -- 09-13-2011 @ 2:18 PM
  Ok, Stroker I am beginning to assemble a 40 deluxe wagon, hoping to have it ready for the 2012 Western National Meet which will be held in Redmond Oregon.

1. I have ended up with 2 sets of the brackets that hold the front seat to the floor. They are identical in every way ( but one), and bolt to the floor and seat the same, have the same adjusting lever, rod with gear etc. One would have the seat fairly level, the other the rear feet are noticibly lower then the fronts. I am guessing the set with the lower rear feet is the correct one for the 40 since this seat angle was an advertising point. Since there are some common parts on the 38-40 wagons, could the set where the front and rear feet are about the same height fit a 38 or 39? Could this be an early vs late thing and be correct for 40? I will sell the incorrect one but would like to correctly identify it. What color should the entire seat mounting mechanism be?

2. Is the tailgate hinge all Winterleaf Brown or does the part that bolts to the floor pan get painted either body color or primer like the rest of the floor?

3. My original tailgate spring looks like it was covered with top material. Is that what it should be and should it be brown like the top?

4. What color should the ground straps that go from the T nuts to the tail light brackets be? I know they have to be bare under the Tnut and bracket to make a good ground. Are the tail light brackets black or body color? Is the tail light painted or stainless and if painted what color?

5. I have the double channel glass runs for the sliders but who has the strips that go on the edge of the glass (end) of the inner windows between the 2 pieces of glass?

Stroker    -- 09-13-2011 @ 4:17 PM
  deuce_roadster:

I'm very much into 38's, but there are many differences between 38-39 and 40's. 38-39's don't have tailgate springs, and they mount their tail light through the lower tailgate hinge/spreader bar which is grounded to the floorpan. In addition, the 38-39's mounted their front seat on a wooden riser, with the only adjustment being 2 holes to give you a choice of how far the bottom cushion was away from the rigid rear cushion.

Regarding the window "felt" dividers, I sourced mine from Ed Clarke in Larchmont, NY some years ago. Ed has an ongoing ad in the NWC monthly newsletter.

I'm hoping that Alanwoodieman chimes in at some point, as he has not only restored his "barn-find" woodie to great beauty, but actually manufactured some parts (rear seat-feet) along the way.

Colors for interior hardware is a toughie. I was lucky enough to have some non-repainted
original components to work from. As for the spring covers matching the top material, not all tops were the same color. We see an almost uniform brown top on most replacements, but
in fact the top color was often coordinated with the body color. In my case, the body was
Desert Sand, and the top was a dark "brownish" green.

Hopefully, others will contribute other (more 40 specific) info.

kubes40    -- 09-14-2011 @ 6:36 AM
  Mike, I sent you two private messages.
I am best reached (promptly) at kubes40@att.net

alanwoodieman    -- 09-14-2011 @ 11:30 AM
  OK here goes and I did a lot of research including looking at several original wagons
#1-seat mechanism- were cad plated, 39 seats are totally different-spare tire mounted on the seat, give me the measurements and I will double check with mine-I suspect deluxe seats had a different set of mechanisms that the regular V8-because of the different seat padding foam for deluxe
#2 winterleaf brown-those pieces were painted off the body
#3 top materiel
#4 black straps-black brackets and black light bodys-yes I know I have also heard they were painted body color, but no real proof
#5 Restoration supply in Pa is where I got mine

alanwoodieman    -- 09-14-2011 @ 4:40 PM
  checked the parts book Dated July of 1940 and there is an early seat track (2.47" in front) and a late seat track (2.10" in front) but no date given as to when the change occurred. I know my body was built in 3/40, what is your body number-located under the voltage regulator?

deuce_roadster    -- 09-14-2011 @ 5:59 PM
  Alan, my car is a pretty late one. My body # is 10581 which puts it probably in June. You may have the answer to the seat track question! So early tracks are about 1/2" higher then the later ones? Glad I have both. Is that whole thing, both sides and the rod with gears all cad plated or just the sides? Due to the late # I have painted the sheetmetal Acadia green which I think will look good with the blonde wood.
Thank you for that important information.

Is the business in PA you refrence named "Restoration Supply" Do you know if they go to Hershey? I usually make the trip from out here on the Left coast (near Seattle)

alanwoodieman    -- 09-14-2011 @ 8:13 PM
  all cad plated, yes in Pa, at Hershey is actually where I purchased mine. I have been told that the company may have been sold to Ca. but if you are going to Hershey I would bet that they will be there. You may need hipwaders this year, they really had bad floods this month and a lot of busineeses were under water. I will find my number and let you know. My wagon is Lyon Blue, I think there is a wagon in Va. painted Acadia Green

alanwoodieman    -- 09-14-2011 @ 8:17 PM
  Dan aka Stroker thanks for the compliments, still working on the truck mirror arm project, have made a couple of prototypes, will get back to it this winter.

sawzall    -- 11-06-2011 @ 4:50 AM
  just found this thread.. and am excited that there might be more "woodie" information in an upcoming edition? of the 40 ford book.

1. as for tailgate spring covers, I have seen 40's with covers done in material matching the interior (seating) is this incorrect?

2. On the interior metal brackets (cast and stamped interior brackets) should these be tan to match the tailgate hinge, or are they body color? or black? I have seen some of each..

3. the taillight bracket.. I have had some that were painted tan (similar to the tailgate hinge, and some that were black) was the taillight bracket painted body color?

hopefully someone here can provide feedback..

alanwoodieman    -- 11-06-2011 @ 5:53 AM
  as stated in an answer above
#1-top materiel--I have some original samples off a 40 wagon-long grain copra
#2-winterleaf brown
#3-black

Rusty    -- 11-30-2011 @ 7:47 PM
  Alan,
What color is your original top material?

kubes40    -- 12-01-2011 @ 6:05 AM
  Brown.
Some guys will tell you black was available but they won't (I am betting heavily)be able to provide proof. Something necessary to stand the judges scrutiny.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-01-2011 @ 10:04 AM
  long grain copra--copra being the color which is a light to medium tan color, I have in my files, which I will look up, a paint code to duplicate this color , yes Kube, it is not BLACK as I have been told it was. When I purchased my top fabric from LeBaron/Bonney, Lee Atherton told me that that was the last 13 feet he could ever get, that the plant in England would no longer produce it

Rusty    -- 12-01-2011 @ 6:28 PM
  Just checking because I have Benson Ford Research Center documents that specify brown material on station wagon tops. Couldn't find anything that supports the rainbow of colors that "matching body color" would require and it is hard to believe that the factory was into dying tops to match the body color.

Stroker    -- 12-02-2011 @ 10:07 AM
  Rusty:

Do you by chance have any Benson Ford data on 38 top colors? The reason I ask is that
I have a Kodachrome of my 38 when it was new, and the color appears to be a dark brownish/green. Some years ago, I removed the multiple tops that had been installed over the original on another Desert Sand West Coast 38, and found some of that material under the drip rails, (where it still had the original tacks securing it). The color is just as portrayed in the 1938 photo.

I'm not questioning your assertion, but I am certain that at least in 38, there were some colors other than brown, at least on the West Coast on Desert Sand wagons.

I should add that in the aforementioned "excavation" of previous tops, only the original was this odd,
shade. All the subsequent replacements were simply brown. Replacement tops must have only been available in brown. So why so many tops? My car spent its first 40 years in the Southwest, and the sun exposure was brutal to the top material. After 3 top replacements, my dad painted the last one with aluminum paint to try and reduce the UV damage. Why more than one layer of top? It was customary to use the old top as "padding" under the new top, and it actually improved the looks by softening the shape a bit over the wooden framework. The first top was removed entirely, to repair water damage to the front corner of the right hand roof beam.

The tops were pretty fragile, as are most Ford closed-car top inserts. I suspect that Ford never intended
for these cars to last forever. In the late 50's, I installed a new top (over all the old ones)using high quality canvas duck, which I first shrank with water, and then 10 coats of aircraft butyrate dope. This top, now painted to match the original top sample, still resides on my wagon. It is not original, and would cost lots-o-points in judging, but at least it's the "right" color.

This message was edited by Stroker on 12-2-11 @ 3:49 PM

Stroker    -- 12-02-2011 @ 4:01 PM
  Here's a photo of the subject "home-brew" top.

Rusty    -- 12-02-2011 @ 7:03 PM
  What I have are Engineering Releases for "Brown Landau Grain deck material 66" wide". This is M-2600-G which is a materials designation and correlates to the body book. I have these for 1940,1941,1945 which would cover the 1946 cars. There are no other Engineering Releases for any other top material with any different color. At the time, I wasn't looking for earlier stuff so for instance the first release copy I have is dated 8-1-1939 and would be for the 1940 model year. I'm confident if someone wanted to look they could find the releases back to the early 1930's.

Stroker    -- 12-03-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  Rusty:

Thank You! Maybe someday someone will solve my "mystery".

Dan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=3743