LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Integrating turn signals into my stock 40 ford

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Integrating turn signals into my stock 40 ford -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

classiclover
08-25-2021 @ 4:19 PM

Greetings

I am new to the forum and new to my 40 coupe. It is completely stock. What is the opinion of you knowledgeable folks on getting turn indicators on the car or not necessary.
Thanks much

Classic Lover

carcrazy
08-25-2021 @ 5:15 PM
Senior

Putting turn signals on a 1940 Ford is a great idea. When you do it, be sure to get the system that also includes the hazard flasher feature. With some effort, you can incorporate the turn signals into the existing parking lights in front and tail/brake lights on the rear of the car to maintain a stock appearance while adding this safety feature.

trjford8
08-25-2021 @ 5:15 PM
Senior

I feel that turn signals are necessary on our old cars. Very few people understand hand signals these days and if it is raining you don't have to roll down the window and get wet to make the signal. With a '40(as I own one) I also suggest that you find the brightest 6 volt bulbs you can find for the tail lights and also paint the inside of the housing white.

pech33
08-25-2021 @ 5:20 PM

Paint the housing white? Is that the consensus of 40 Ford owners? Mine are a semi-dull/sorta-shiney silver. Is white the way to go?

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

trjford8
08-26-2021 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

From experience I have found the white paint to be much more reflective than any other color. Another good suggestion is to use the reflector from a flash light that will fit over the light socket.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-26-21 @ 9:01 AM

JayChicago
08-26-2021 @ 7:50 PM

Flashlight reflector won’t fit in a ‘40’s pear-shaped housing. Socket is down in the narrow part of the pear.

TomO
08-27-2021 @ 8:56 AM
Senior

Classic Lover, I agree that turn signals are a necessity in this day and age. Bob Drake makes a kit that allows you to have parking lights and turn signals for the front lights. He supplies it with 12V bulbs. I like the Signal Stat type relay flasher as you can remove the cover and adjust the flash rate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234034447410?hash=item367d8a4432:g:l5IAAOSwIiVgtbY3

Jay, you have to modify the reflector to fit. No matter how much you have to grind off of the reflector, it will still provide better lighting than any other method that I tried.

I had one taillight housing painted with a high gloss aluminum paint and the other with a bright white enamel. I used a light meter to check the difference and saw a slight improvement in both sides with the white being slightly brighter than the aluminum. I modified the flash light reflector and it gave about a 3x improvement. I now have bright LED bulbs in my tail lights and they are more than 6x brighter than the original setup.

Tom

Tmusk
12-08-2021 @ 7:01 PM

All I have a '47 Super Deluxe but it sounds similar to what you're discussing. I just bought the car and am new to antique cars. I've spent all my time on 1960- 80 British. Can anyone explain further how this integration works or provide a schematic or kit reference or step-by-step procedure for this?
For the front parking lights, does one have to replace the parking light fixture with a dual element socket?
For the rear, is socket replacement required also? I have a 6V positive ground system. The switches I see from Eckler indicate they're for 12V negative ground. Does the switch care if it's used on my system? Possibly some foolish questions in here but I haven't "got it" yet. Thanks

1931 Flamingo
12-09-2021 @ 5:28 AM

It should work, just change the bulb, if there is one.
Paul in CT

TomO
12-09-2021 @ 8:14 AM
Senior

If the front parking lights do not have a dual element socket, you will have to replace them. The tail lights already have a dual element bulb and the current stop light is usually used for the turn signal and stop light. The switches do not care if they are installed on 6 or 12 volts. You will need to get a 6 volt flasher relay and a 6 volt bulb to replace the 12 volt bulb in the switch.

Tyree Harris may have a wiring harness for the turn signals. They were an option on the 1947 Ford. If he has one, it will make the installation easier.

Tyreeswires@gmail.com

The installation basics are: mount the switch, reroute the brake light signal through the tuurn signal switch, route new wires to the brake lights and parking lights from the turn signal switch and supply power to the turnsignal switch.. There are several schematics of wiring turn signals on the internet, just Google for them. You will also get a wiring diagram with the switch.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org