Topic: Integrating turn signals into my stock 40 ford

classiclover    -- 08-25-2021 @ 4:19 PM
  Greetings

I am new to the forum and new to my 40 coupe. It is completely stock. What is the opinion of you knowledgeable folks on getting turn indicators on the car or not necessary.
Thanks much

Classic Lover

carcrazy    -- 08-25-2021 @ 5:15 PM
  Putting turn signals on a 1940 Ford is a great idea. When you do it, be sure to get the system that also includes the hazard flasher feature. With some effort, you can incorporate the turn signals into the existing parking lights in front and tail/brake lights on the rear of the car to maintain a stock appearance while adding this safety feature.

trjford8    -- 08-25-2021 @ 5:15 PM
  I feel that turn signals are necessary on our old cars. Very few people understand hand signals these days and if it is raining you don't have to roll down the window and get wet to make the signal. With a '40(as I own one) I also suggest that you find the brightest 6 volt bulbs you can find for the tail lights and also paint the inside of the housing white.

pech33    -- 08-25-2021 @ 5:20 PM
  Paint the housing white? Is that the consensus of 40 Ford owners? Mine are a semi-dull/sorta-shiney silver. Is white the way to go?

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

trjford8    -- 08-26-2021 @ 8:59 AM
  From experience I have found the white paint to be much more reflective than any other color. Another good suggestion is to use the reflector from a flash light that will fit over the light socket.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-26-21 @ 9:01 AM

JayChicago    -- 08-26-2021 @ 7:50 PM
  Flashlight reflector won’t fit in a ‘40’s pear-shaped housing. Socket is down in the narrow part of the pear.

TomO    -- 08-27-2021 @ 8:56 AM
  Classic Lover, I agree that turn signals are a necessity in this day and age. Bob Drake makes a kit that allows you to have parking lights and turn signals for the front lights. He supplies it with 12V bulbs. I like the Signal Stat type relay flasher as you can remove the cover and adjust the flash rate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234034447410?hash=item367d8a4432:g:l5IAAOSwIiVgtbY3

Jay, you have to modify the reflector to fit. No matter how much you have to grind off of the reflector, it will still provide better lighting than any other method that I tried.

I had one taillight housing painted with a high gloss aluminum paint and the other with a bright white enamel. I used a light meter to check the difference and saw a slight improvement in both sides with the white being slightly brighter than the aluminum. I modified the flash light reflector and it gave about a 3x improvement. I now have bright LED bulbs in my tail lights and they are more than 6x brighter than the original setup.

Tom

Tmusk    -- 12-08-2021 @ 7:01 PM
  All I have a '47 Super Deluxe but it sounds similar to what you're discussing. I just bought the car and am new to antique cars. I've spent all my time on 1960- 80 British. Can anyone explain further how this integration works or provide a schematic or kit reference or step-by-step procedure for this?
For the front parking lights, does one have to replace the parking light fixture with a dual element socket?
For the rear, is socket replacement required also? I have a 6V positive ground system. The switches I see from Eckler indicate they're for 12V negative ground. Does the switch care if it's used on my system? Possibly some foolish questions in here but I haven't "got it" yet. Thanks

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-09-2021 @ 5:28 AM
  It should work, just change the bulb, if there is one.
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 12-09-2021 @ 8:14 AM
  If the front parking lights do not have a dual element socket, you will have to replace them. The tail lights already have a dual element bulb and the current stop light is usually used for the turn signal and stop light. The switches do not care if they are installed on 6 or 12 volts. You will need to get a 6 volt flasher relay and a 6 volt bulb to replace the 12 volt bulb in the switch.

Tyree Harris may have a wiring harness for the turn signals. They were an option on the 1947 Ford. If he has one, it will make the installation easier.

Tyreeswires@gmail.com

The installation basics are: mount the switch, reroute the brake light signal through the tuurn signal switch, route new wires to the brake lights and parking lights from the turn signal switch and supply power to the turnsignal switch.. There are several schematics of wiring turn signals on the internet, just Google for them. You will also get a wiring diagram with the switch.

Tom

Tmusk    -- 02-01-2022 @ 6:11 AM
  for the replies and sorry so slow to follow up. Too much going on!
So, from what I'm hearing the approach is to blink the brake light in the rear, I assume because there isn't a 3-contact replacement socket or bulb available, but to replace the single-contact front parking light with a two-contact socket so that the parking light will stay on while blinking the second element as a turn signal. Is this correct and could someone leave the single contact socket in place and just blink the parking light?
Thanks Tom

TomO    -- 02-01-2022 @ 7:02 AM
  You could leave the single contact bulb in place and just use it as a turn signal. If this is your plan, I would look for a LED replacement and use the relay type flasher. That would simplify wiring, you could use the parking light wiring from the firewall forward. The relay type flasher operates at a set rate with any or no load.

Tom

Tmusk    -- 02-01-2022 @ 11:12 AM
  Thanks again. I'm not adverse to adding double contact front sockets. Can you explain the advantage of double vs the original single contact beyond the obvious that your parking light wouldn't be blinking when your turn signal is on? Also, regarding the LED replacements, what is advantage to LED and would they be mandatory? I'm only finding 12V LED lights and relay flashers, not 6V, and the LED light's shape looks incompatible. Also, would I have to change the rear brake/turn bulb to LED also to work with this flasher? It sounds like it doesn't depend on amount of current flow so I'm assuming the answer is no.

carcrazy    -- 02-01-2022 @ 12:25 PM
  For the 1940 Ford you will want to replace the original parking light sockets and bulbs with dual filament bulbs and sockets to match. When I did this conversion a few years ago on a 1940, I used "Bulb/Double Contact 21-3 CP Small Globe - 6 Volt" Part No. V13465HR6 and "Tail Light Wiring & Socket" Part No. V13410B. These items were purchased from MAC's Antique Auto Parts. Note that the regular size globe tail/brake lights are too large to fit into the available space.

TomO    -- 02-02-2022 @ 9:14 AM
  "Can you explain the advantage of double vs the original single contact beyond the obvious that your parking light wouldn't be blinking when your turn signal is on? "

There is no advantage to either way of wiring them. When you change to the 2 element socket and bulb, you can use your parking lights as running lights. On a 40 the parking lights are so dim that doing so would be useless.

"Also, regarding the LED replacements, what is advantage to LED and would they be mandatory?"

The LED bulbs are brighter with less current draw and no they would not be mandatory.

"I'm only finding 12V LED lights and relay flashers, not 6V, and the LED light's shape looks incompatible. "

here is the 6 volt flasher that I used on my 40 Merc: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154106713981?hash=item23e179d77d:g:SNMAAOSwmoxfcNUi

There are many 6 volt LED shapes, just do a search for them on the Internet

"Also, would I have to change the rear brake/turn bulb to LED also to work with this flasher? It sounds like it doesn't depend on amount of current flow so I'm assuming the answer is no."
your assumption is correct.

Do a search on "Flasher" using the ALL term in the IN THE PAST box and many of your questions will be answered.

Tom

51woodie    -- 02-02-2022 @ 1:01 PM
  I have a United Pacific unit (has signal and 4way flasher) on my '46 Coupe, and it works well, My front park lights are turn signals only, and the rears are brake and turn. I did paint the insides of the housings to increase brightness. The flasher is a 6V #535 from NAPA. I also tied in a 6V Buzzer to the circuit, as I'm a little hard of hearing, and I found myself forgetting the cancel that turn signal. It's a loud little bugger, so I had to tape over half the sound hole, so I could hear my wife when she was telling me I was going the wrong way!

TomO    -- 02-03-2022 @ 6:49 AM
  That is a thermal flasher and requires the proper load to flash. It will not work with LED bulbs or low wattage bulbs.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15104