LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1937 Ford Cooling Problem

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1937 Ford Cooling Problem -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Robert/Texas
06-29-2019 @ 12:47 PM

My ’37 Fordor Deluxe Touring Sedan got hot after driving about 5 miles with an outside temperature of 74 degrees. I returned home and when I got there, I could hear the radiator boiling and it had lost about 3 quarts of fluid (50/50 green antifreeze and distilled water). Note that the engine always ran above 180 on the gauge but never boiled over until now.
I have owned the car for 10-1/2 years and the now deceased previous owner gave me all the parts and repair receipts from when it was new. The car had 57,250 miles on the odometer when I bought it and now has 62,332 miles on it. (I’ve only averaged around 500 miles/year).
The car had the engine overhauled in 1955 and it still has good compression (around 90# each cylinder) but it does leave a little blue smoke when starting and gets about 250 miles per quart of oil. It cruises nicely at 65 and feels like would easily do 80. It had the radiator cleaned and rodded and the water pumps replaced around 12 years ago.
The previous owner told me that he installed 180-degree thermostats and suggested that I replace them with 160-degree ones. I didn’t follow is suggestion as I was not convinced that this was needed.
One thing that I’ve noticed is the wrong paint might have been used on the radiator. I say this because it is shiny, like body paint, unlike the radiator paint on my other old Fords.
At 85, I’m reluctant to jump into fixing this too fast but any thoughts on this and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Robert.

supereal
06-29-2019 @ 1:24 PM
Senior

If the overheating occurs at low speeds or idling, the cause is usually low coolant circulation. A loose belt or water pump problem is likely. If the problem appears when on the road, often it is a restricted radiator flow, due to buildup of internal corrosion, or material in the fins such as insects, etc. Old radiators can lose cooling capacity over time as the fins become loose from the tubes from vibration or flexing during use. The obvious cure is to replace the radiator. Many hope that isn't necessary due to the cost. Years ago, when I worked for a Ford dealer, our radiator shop had two full time workers repairing radiators, keeping them very busy. As to paint, that used was a very thin type. A heavier type might interfere with cooling, but it would be rare. I would remove the thermostats and run plain water before investing in a new radiator. I am the same age as you, and I know facing a big cost can be unwelcome, but probably necessary if you want a dependable car.

ford38v8
06-29-2019 @ 1:27 PM
Senior

Robert, 12 years is a long time without the radiator being cleaned and rodded. I would suggest that you find an old time full service radiator shop, and request them to do a full diagnosis and service to your cooling system to include exhaust gas in coolant check before removing and checking flow, boil-out, rodding, and specify a very light coat of radiator paint on the tubes/fins.
Also, beyond your cooling issue, of some major concern to me would be 250 miles per quart of oil!

Alan

srg
06-29-2019 @ 10:36 PM

Mine overheated a couple of months ago (1937 Deluxe Fordor), and I started with the cheapest fix. A new radiator cap. Bingo, no more problem. If that's not it, check your belt tightness.

Robert/Texas
06-30-2019 @ 7:07 AM

Many thanks to all of you who are trying to help me with this problem. I think that the problem is with the water pumps.
I’m sure that the fan belt is adjusted properly. If it were tighter, it would probably damage the generator bearings. The belt in my “34 roadster is adjusted this way too and it has no overheating problems.
Having said this, I notice the following. When the engine is cold, it is hard to turn the water pump pulleys by hand. When a bit warm, it seems impossible to turn them. The fan belt looks good but where it rides on the pulleys, it feels rough as though it has burned on them.
The now deceased previous owner was the third owner of the car and had only owned it for two years. He told me that he had replaced the water pumps with new/rebuilt ones and gave me the old ones with the car. These old pumps turn easily by hand. I may send them out for rebuilding.
You folks on this site are terrific and I thank you again. Any more info/suggestions will still be appreciated.
Robert

supereal
06-30-2019 @ 2:21 PM
Senior

Send your water pumps to Skip Haney. He is a pro, and at our shop we use his service. You can reach him at 941-505-9085 or 941 637-6698. His email is
skiphaneyfl@aol.com. Quick turnaround, and always a fair price.

large logo
06-30-2019 @ 4:13 PM

test

TomO
07-01-2019 @ 8:58 AM
Senior

The water pump bushings are lubricated from a small hole in the block that feeds the small hole in the water pump. The oil is from the timing gear splash. If that port is plugged by sludge in the block or the pump, the bushings will bind. You should probably check to see that the pumps are getting enough oil before you install rebuilt pumps.

Tom

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN
07-01-2019 @ 9:25 AM
Senior

hi
Napa has a excellent replacement fan belt with the CORRECT ANGLE, to match the pulleys ,
this is very important that the belt make full contact with all the pulleys,and there is no slipping,

hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Robert/Texas
07-02-2019 @ 3:48 AM

Thanks again for everybody’s help. I can’t do more this week because my wife and I have medical appointments (95 miles from here) every day except the 4th. My 60-year old son-in-law plans to come here to help this weekend. He’s a mechanic who works for a car dealership in Houston but likes working on old cars like mine. I found a leak where the radiator core meets the upper tank, so our current plans are to pull the radiator and take it to a radiator shop about 50 miles from here. The owner has been there since 1951 and I had a gas tank repaired there about 15 years ago and he did a good job in it. I’m going to try to use a NAPA fan belt and if this doesn’t work, I’ll get the water pumps rebuilt. It’s a good time to do this as this Texas summer heat and humidity makes it less fun to drive an unairconditioned car.
Robert

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org