LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Dim 6V headlights

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Dim 6V headlights

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Dream38v8
07-25-2016 @ 5:35 AM

Great response. My wife mentions the same thing to me often. Read the instructions / book. I've skimmed through the manual, but not with anything in mind. Adjustments are listed under "Lights" and not "Headlights". Anyway I found the page. Seems very easy. One problem is the passenger side screw holding the rim seems to be stripped. Minor issue, but on path to align headlights. Thanks MG

Ray

MG
07-24-2016 @ 9:12 PM
Senior

Do you have a Owners Manual/Reference Book? The owners manual I have for my '37 shows/tells how to adjust the headlamps....

Dream38v8
07-24-2016 @ 7:03 PM

I believe I am a novice and not a new owner. I was reading through a basic book on the '38. I discover I had the parking lights on and not the headlights. The dims are dim and the brights are good. The problem is the brights are aiming high and not on the road. My new question now is how do I adjust the lights to hit the road?

Ray

TomO
07-22-2016 @ 6:47 AM
Senior

The most common reason for dim lights is low voltage to the bulbs. The most common source of resistance that drops the voltage in the headlight circuit is the dimmer switch.

I have seen dimmer switches drop as much as 1.5 volts when the headlights are on.

The best way to isolate the problem is to do a voltage drop test, with the headlights on.

Connect the COM lead of a reliable volt meter to the NEG battery post and use a thin paper clip to probe inside the connector to the right headlight. You should read less than 0.5 volts on the meter. If you read more than that, operate the dimmer switch many times and re-check. The voltage that you read should decrease in value.

If it is still above 0.5 volts, move the probe back one connection at a time. If you see a reading change of more than 0.1 volt, the previous connection is bad, clean and repair and repeat the tests. If the dimmer switch is still the culprit, remove it, disassemble it and clean the contacts with an electronic cleaner. I like Radio Shacks Tuner Cleaner and Lubricant. It works great for the bulb contacts also. You can use bulb grease to lube the switch.

If you have less than 0.5 volts and your lights are still dim, you can check the ground connection by connecting the + or POS lead of your meter to the POS terminal of the battery and probe the light bulb base. You should read less than 0.1 volts. A higher reading means a poor grounding connection.

This method gives accurate results, even with a low battery.

If you have good voltage to the wires going to the head light and a good ground, but still have dim lights, try changing the bulb and cleaning the bulb and socket contacts.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-22-16 @ 6:51 AM

fordv8j
07-21-2016 @ 12:02 PM

Like mentioned you may have a ground problem,this would take some work,this is what I did,while restoring our 38conv.I welded a small bolt inside the headlight bucket,then soldered a ground wire to the edge of reflector,soldered an end on the wire put on bolt added lock washer and nut, tightened,,,,lights are pretty good

len47merc
07-21-2016 @ 10:36 AM
Senior

There is a vast amount of information on this Forum on this subject. I did a search for the keywords 'dim headlights' for the period in the past 'ALL' and several discussion threads immediately come up. Below is just one of several:

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=8888&keywords=dim%20headlights

I'd recommend you read through all the threads but to summarize it all up in a nutsh*ll - a PROPERLY and EFFECTIVELY grounded and functioning 6V pos ground electrical SYSTEM will generate more than adequate headlight brightness with stock bulbs. Changing over to 12V or halogen before addressing the issue head on and achieving maximum brightness with your stock 6V system and headlights will only mask the problem and you'll end up chasing it down the road, and as pauls39coupe says opens a whole new can of worms in addition to the problems you already have. Focus on grounds, grounds and more grounds, then follow TomO's advice on troubleshooting electrical systems and connections. You'll be amazed how bright 6V lights can be. Having previously been where you are I can affirm this to be the case.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 7-21-16 @ 10:42 AM

Dream38v8
07-21-2016 @ 10:30 AM

Thanks. My expectations are low as I also have a '63 F100 (no power brakes, steering plus 3 speed on tree). I will check on ground plus clean the reflective back. Additionally I've ordered new bulbs.

Ray

pauls39coupe
07-21-2016 @ 10:18 AM

Welcome to the fun World of Ford V-8's. Be prepared to adjust your expectations concerning lights, brakes, horsepower and ride comfort. These cars are approaching 80 years old and the technology does not come anywhere near your modern car. The lights will appear a bit dim and the brakes won't stop like power discs.
That said you should check the reflectors in your head lights. They were originally silver plated which is probably tarnished and in need of polishing. Change the bulbs, as they are likely nearing the end of their useful life. Most important clean all the grounding surfaces around the headlight and tail light rims. You may need to run an additional ground wire from the light fixtures to the frame if rust or excess paint is present.
Personally I would not use Halogen bulbs, as the wattage draw is too high for the early Ford generators, and some do not have the correct focal length to work with your 1938 head light reflectors. Changing to a 12v system just opens a whole new can of worms if not done correctly. Properly setup your original lights should give you plenty of light for driving a reasonable speed.

CharlieStephens
07-21-2016 @ 10:07 AM
Senior

First, how do they compare with other 6 volt headlights you have seen? If they are not as bright or have a soft glow to them you probably have a ground problem. Run a temporary jumper wire between the headlight reflector and the ground and the battery and see if they get brighter. Is is correct to assume you are talking about your '38 Ford and that it has stock bulbs?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 7-21-16 @ 10:09 AM

Dream38v8
07-21-2016 @ 9:49 AM

Without converting to 12V what can I do increase the power of 6V headlights? Saturday was the first time I had the car out at dark. If it wasn't for street lights it would have been pitch black.

Ray

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org