LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1939 Ford Sedan

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1939 Ford Sedan -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

RJR
05-21-2016 @ 3:10 PM

I just purchased a 1939 deluxe four door. It was restored a few years back by a dear friend who has passed away. I took it out for a test drive and noticed it seemed to be geared low. By low I mean when I approach 50mph the car it getting to a high rpm. Seems like I should have one gear. The motor is excellent and believe the transmission is original. Not sure about the rear end yet. I know this is a pretty broad question, but, shouldn't the car be able to roll along at 50 mph without sounding like it's working so hard? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks RJR

This message was edited by RJR on 6-20-16 @ 5:50 PM

1934 Ford
05-22-2016 @ 5:30 AM
Senior

RJR,
Do you have a tachometer in the car? Sometimes on these flatheads with the wrong fan blade will make so much noise that it sounds like over reving a jet engine. Yes your car should be able to cruise at 50 MPH.
To test this, unbolt the fan blade from the generator and take a fast ride to see of it makes the over reving seem to go away. Then find a different 4 blade.

1934 Ford's since 1972

TomO
05-22-2016 @ 7:34 AM
Senior

Your car looks great.

There are a couple of things to consider.

Sound proofing is not anywhere near the way it is with today's cars, so the engine will sound like it is working harder.

Your car may have a 4.11:1 rear end. Most of the Fords came with a 3.78:1 rear end and some came with the 4.11 or the 3.54
rear end. The ratio is marked on the the banjo housing.

Look for 2 numbers stamped on the bottom of the web where the driveshaft connects. They should be 9 and 34 for the 3.78, 9 and 37 for the 4.11 and 11 and 39 for the 3.54 ratio.

Your 6 bladed fan should be mounted on the crankshaft and it could be bent causing excess noise. Ford made 2 of the blades shorter to reduce fan noise on the 1939 Deluxe models.

If you have the 3.78:1 ratio, I suggest that you find another 39 Deluxe or 1940 Ford to take a ride in and compare the noise at 50 MPH with your car. The 41 Ford would be slightly quieter due to improved soundproofing.

Tom

ford38v8
05-22-2016 @ 7:43 AM
Senior

RJR, Welcome to our world! The unique sound of a Ford Flathead engine is enjoyed by all who hear it. There is no such thing as working too hard, or over-revving a Ford Flathead. The engine is self limiting in revs, due to the design of the valve train and the ignition system. One can actually stand on the gas pedal with no ill effect other than attracting the attention of the local Constabulary.

That said, there were actually two different engines available in 1939, one of which, being smaller, was geared lower. I see that you have dual exhaust, which, while not defining the engine, is a fair indicator that you probably have the larger of the two engines, but still may have the lower gears in the differential. Take another picture or two of the engine for us, and we can identify which engine you have. Also, you might take it out on the open highway and let it out, to determine its top speed. I'm fairly sure you'll let off the pedal before you get there. Many if not most of us drive at 60 or above, conditions permitting. You have a beautiful car there, take care of it and it will take care of you.

Alan

RJR
05-22-2016 @ 6:04 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. I did get under the car to find the numbers on the Web of the differential but couldn't see the numbers. When I get the car home I will get it on a lift.
I did use my GPS against the speedo. The speedo up to 50mph the GPS read 42mph.
No, I don't have an installed tach. Tires are 6.00-16.

Okay, now for the motor. Apparently when my friend bought this car to restore several years back it had the 59AB motor installed. So he decided to have the motor rebuilt and that's motor in the car. I hope this doesn't change the value of the car too much. It really runs great.

TomO
05-23-2016 @ 8:35 AM
Senior

IMHO, you would have to spend a ton of money on the rest of the car, in order for the later engine to make much of a difference to the value. Someone looking for a nice touring car would prefer the 59A engine over the 39 engine. Someone looking for a 100 point car would discount the car for the wrong engine.

Enjoy your car, it looks nice and if it runs nice, that is great. Trying to make the car perfect will cost a ton of money and it will probably not perform any better.

Tom

ford38v8
05-23-2016 @ 4:51 PM
Senior

I agree with TomO, you have a very good touring car with the most desirable engine for the purpose. Your GPS reading shows that you have an incorrect speedometer gear for the differential ratio installed. If I did the math right, your differential may be a 4.44 ratio, while your speedo is correct for a 3.78 ratio. That would also account for your engine RPM being faster than expected at that speed.

The number stamped on the bottom of the diff web is a fair indication of the ratio, but there is a possibility of it being rebuilt using different gears.

Alan

TomO
05-24-2016 @ 9:07 AM
Senior

It is more likely that you have a 4.11:1. The 4.44 was only used on the 60 HP. Ford speedometers are known for being optimistic.

Here is a link to a procedure that will give you a better idea of the ratio.

http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/reargear.htm

Tom

RJR
06-18-2016 @ 5:29 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. This is a great site and very nice and knowledgable folks. So, I did get the car on a lift and found the numbers stamped right where everyone said they would be. 934 which tells 3.78s.
Now that I have drove the car for a few weeks I can tell I'm baffled. I do have a friend who owns a few 1940s and also has driven mine and agrees the car is geared very low compared to his cars. It's difficult to explain when there's no tach to validate my issue.
I live in Charlestown, NH. I'm about four miles east of town all uphill. My home is at about 1140' above sea level. I have no problem going up the steep climb in third gear. I can easily take off in second gear on the flat. Third gear really feels like a second gear.
It was stated earlier that even though the diff is stamped 934, doesn't mean someone may have changed them along the way.
Is it possible the transmission is the issue? Just trying to eliminate other possibilities before I pull the rear end out of the car. Thanks for listening.

RJR

trjford8
06-18-2016 @ 7:11 AM
Senior

The transmission would not be the issue. In high gear you have a 1 to 1 ratio. Being able to pull a long steep grade easily in third gear tells me the rear end ratio does not match the numbers on the housing. I suspect you may have 4.11 gears in the back.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org