LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / '46/'47 Rear Spring Zerk Fitting

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '46/'47 Rear Spring Zerk Fitting

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
03-15-2016 @ 2:25 PM
Senior

Doing the spring greasing on the car and finally made it back to the rear spring. Found the driver's side zerk fitting missing on the top front of the rear spring (all other dozen and a half or so are fine). Pulled out another 90 degree 1/4" fitting and tried to clean the fixture the fitting scr*w*d in to and, after a couple of attempts without success got out the trusty shop mirror and magnetic light and found the entire somewhat square raised 'block' that sits on top of the spring wrap/shield/casing was gone, so nothing for the zerk fitting to screw in to. All fittings were there last spring when performing the complete lubrication so it must've been loose without being obvious and has fallen by the wayside somewhere.

So, the obvious questions, are these 'fittings' or 'blocks' replaceable and if so from where would one obtain one? In order to replace them does, as it appears, it require complete removal and disassembly of the spring? Any thoughts on a (best) solution that will allow lubrication of the driver's side of the spring without complete removal and disassembly?

Steve

cliftford
03-15-2016 @ 5:55 PM
Senior

Steve I assume you are talking about the spring center bolt. On most fords, this is a square head bolt that goes in from the top and is hollow with a zerk fitting on the bottom end. It sounds like your merc. is different, unless someone installed a different bolt at some point.

kubes40
03-15-2016 @ 6:13 PM
Senior

Steve, I know the fittings you are speaking of. The fitting "block" was soldered on to the covers that had these.
Personally I would not worry too much about replacing it. They did little good. Plus, if someone has pressed grease in to there, most likely they will no longer do any good whatsoever.
If you really insist on replacing it, I would suggest making a small square block with the appropriate size threaded hole in the center and solder it in place.
that may be tough as that old zinc cover is surely quite contaminated and would need to be super clean to obtain a strong solder joint.

kubes40
03-15-2016 @ 6:19 PM
Senior

Steve, I know the fittings you are speaking of. The fitting "block" was soldered on to the covers that had these.
Personally I would not worry too much about replacing it. They did little good. Plus, if someone has pressed grease in to there, most likely they will no longer do any good whatsoever.
If you really insist on replacing it, I would suggest making a small square block with the appropriate size threaded hole in the center and solder it in place.
that may be tough as that old zinc cover is surely quite contaminated and would need to be super clean to obtain a strong solder joint.

len47merc
03-15-2016 @ 6:25 PM
Senior

cliftford - no, actually both the front and rear springs on (at least) '42-'48 Fords and Mercs (good memory on my Merc btw) have three zerk fittings each on them - two 90 degrees on the top of the right and left sides of the springs that point forward in the front and rear ward in back. As well, there is a straight center zerk on both the front and rear that points down at the ground. All three (six) of these are noted for grease gun lubrication in the '42-'48 Ford Merc SHOP MANUAL lubrication chart. I must not have been clear in my earlier post...

What I am referring to is the driver's side on the top of the rear spring - this specific one of the 4 square 'fittings' that appear to be somehow attached to the casings covering the springs (that the 90 degree zerks screw in to) is no longer on the top of the spring casing and it, along with the original zerk that was on it, are gone. I am able to lubricate the passenger side and center of the rear spring, but now not the driver's side. Not sure how to most effectively and efficiently address this and as well how to lubricate the spring without the fitting.

Steve

len47merc
03-15-2016 @ 6:45 PM
Senior

Thanks Mike - I was typing my reply to cliftford when you responded. And yes you are right - the original owner of the car had a father who owned and ran a service station and he routinely lubed (correction - OVER lubed) these springs so much I've scr*ped pounds and pounds of old grease off of them with sharpened wooden spatulas. I scr*ped as much more of the residual old muck off the top of the springs around these fittings as possible, and as well used a rag and small stiff brush, both soaked with mineral spirits, to further clean around these 'fittings'. Then tried lifting my head off the floor to get a 'top down' look at them to see how they were attached. The combination of remaining old grease film coupled with the inability to get my 60 year old eyes to focus that close to my face prevented me from understanding how the remaining fittings were attached. Thanks for filling me in here.

And you are right as well Mike - getting that surface on the cover cleaned well enough to solder on it will be more than darned tough. Seems the best solution - for me well down the road - will be to remove and disassemble the springs and resurrect a used cover/casing from another set of springs to replace the one with the missing 'block' on the Merc.

Greatly appreciate your reply and info Mike. Thanks again -

Steve

cliftford
03-15-2016 @ 7:09 PM
Senior

Steve, I re learned something I must have forgotten. I went out and looked at the rear spring on my '48 and there were 2 holes in the spring cover like you described. The square bosses had long since fallen off. I just never noticed those holes and didn't remember them from back in the day. Thanks for the info.

kubes40
03-16-2016 @ 6:07 PM
Senior

Hey Steve, Every time I restore a car, I pray it was greased like yours. Lots of grease = less rust

Just for "conversation", I have had NUMEROUS NOS springs for '46 - '48 and although there were holes in the top covers, never had a fitting installed. May have been simply a service part "thing" or perhaps Ford decided they really didn't work as intended and eliminated them???

len47merc
03-16-2016 @ 6:43 PM
Senior

Boy did these zerks get used on this car anyway. Gent's dad hit all 20 or so every month it seems. Should've seen it before I tore out the front end and went through it - amazing.

I checked a colleague's fully restored running gear (bottom is darn near perfect) '46 Ford last evening and his still had them all in place. One thing I've found is they are very weakly attached - just changing one of the zerks that the small sealing ball bearing had stuck in easily produces enough torque to break the solder joint loose. Ask me how I know...I'll tell you...that now I also can no longer grease the driver's side of the front spring either. Luckily I got that done before this happened.

Have no idea how well deployed they were - until this problem reared it's head I assumed given the '42-'48 SHOP MANUAL called them out for grease gun work and the prior owner took it so unbelievably seriously that they were the standard across the board.

You're right on the money Mike - no rust on this front end!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-16-16 @ 6:44 PM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org