LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1948 ford car oilbath

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1948 ford car oilbath -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
05-15-2015 @ 8:12 AM
Senior

Mike, you keep saying that standards must be set. I believe that the Club has already set the standards. Some people may misunderstand the standards and expect cars to be over-restored or that an equivalent part is just as good as the correct one.

AACA has had trained judges for years and they still have the same controversy about judging as you are bringing up. "The judges do not judge MY car correctly."

The judging rules cover the dirty tire on your car and you could have protested the deduction. The Interior judge at Dearborn, did not even give the judging sheet to the Deputy Judge, so I could protest his incorrect deductions. These things will continue to occur as long as we have people judging.

Tom

kubes40
05-15-2015 @ 6:35 AM
Senior

Trjford8,
I tend to agree with your latest response. However, I am unable to find a correlation between associated costs and judging standards.
Are you suggesting judging standards be relaxed so that folks don;t get discouraged?

Stroker
05-14-2015 @ 7:41 PM
Senior

AMEN

trjford8
05-14-2015 @ 7:19 PM
Senior

I understand your comment about a car being judged at one meet and losing points on an issue and then going to another meet and not losing points for the same issue. I think that is a problem and some frustration for the owner. Not sure how to solve this problem, but if there is a club book for a particular car the book should be the main reference for that car.
I do think our judging is pretty good compared to some clubs. I believe the AACA and the Model A Club have an advantage over the V-8 Club. The AACA accepts late model vehicles which are less expensive to own for the entry level enthusiast and the late cars appeal to the younger crowd. The Model A guys for years had a modified class so there is a place for non-stock cars. Model A's are also cheaper to own than an early V-8.
Let's face it our cars are expensive to build and buy. There is interest out there, but a young guy paying rent, working a full time job, and supporting a kid or two just can't afford our cars. It's up to us to help these young people.
Recently I came in contact with a young guy gathering parts for a '40 pickup. I had some spare pieces laying around and rather than take them to a swap meet I gave him the parts. He was one happy kid. He thought he won the lotto. If we want younger people it's up to us to help them with their projects. It's also good for us old guys to be around these young guys. They are full of enthusiasm and it's infectious.

kubes40
05-14-2015 @ 5:59 PM
Senior

42merc, To be clear, I am suggesting strongly the club draws the proverbial line in the sand and lets the serious restorers know what standards they will be expected to achieve.
If you have ever spent perhaps years and countless dollars building what you thought was a correct restoration and then shown it upon a concourse only to be judged one way at one show and a different way at yet another show... well, wouldn't you be a bit frustarted?
Me? I have become frustrated albeit very infrequently. I have experienced (one example) a two point deduction for a tire that during the show had been soiled by a passer-by. No, I did not contest this. However, never mind that an INCORRECT tire is a maximum two point deduction and minor / normal "dirt" for lack of a better term is allowed... how did that particular car get two points for a dirty yet correct tire?
This is but one example where a little training or even suggesting a judge might actually read the rules would have come in very handy.
I know my cars are over restored and would not even think to suggest Ford ever built a production vehicle that mimicked mine. And please, don't read more in to my comments any more than my actual words suggest.
I build my cars to see what I am capable of. That's the bottom line for me.
Now, do I suggest I'd write the standards for 1940 Fords? Nope, I would not want to. Why? Because too many guys don't want to hear the
truth (read : documentation) as it too often does not coincide with their "efforts".

Rest assured, I am well past feeling any frustration. However, I do feel for those that are new to this hobby on the level I (and they) enjoy it.

By the way, four coats of base and six coats of clear is ridiculous. Two coats of base and two to three of clear (high solids) is just about right

Guys, I appreciate the thoughtful comments / responses. And Steve, you are an example of the kind of person I'd like to see standards set for. It's quite apparent you are doing your best to recreate an authentic vehicle. Would you not enjoy some "final word" as to what is correct and what is not?

len47merc
05-14-2015 @ 3:23 PM
Senior

Gents - this has grown into a lengthy but healthy discussion. The original purpose of this discussion thread was to ask what color an oilbath air filter was supposed to be (for review the answer is black, owner to determine degree of glossiness based on input from this thread, other available EFV8 documentation and the applicable EFV8 technical adviser). Suggest posting a new discussion relative to what this thread has grown in to if the thread needs to be extended, such that searching will be more productive for those in the future. For what it's worth -

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 5-14-15 @ 3:25 PM

42merc
05-14-2015 @ 3:17 PM

Kube, after the Club has sent it's selection of candidates (who selects by the way ?) to judging school, probably taught by you, what standards will be used ?
The Clubs or yours ?
I'm talking about "as it left the factory" versus "over restored", such as "block sanded air cleaners" & "four coats of base and six coats of clear" as a finish on the body.
Keep us informed.

kubes40
05-14-2015 @ 9:21 AM
Senior

Tom, Other major clubs train their judges so the methods are in place, have worked well for years and in some cases decades. The Model A Club as well as the AACA continues to grow in membership while this club is entertaining the inclusion on non-flathead powered cars in hope of slowing the decline of our membership.
Hmmm... makes a fellow wonder.
How might I propose to train, etc?
Well, standards would have to be established from which to judge against. If that be the manuals the club sells or something else would need to be determined.
Where's the money come from to do this you ask? As a non-profit entity the club is required by law to spend a percentage of their funds on education. To my knowledge this has yet to occur. Just why is the club holding on to the large assets we enjoy with such a tight grasp?

And Alan, this is as you state a hobby and is fun. I am just not quite ready to concede the direction this club has so obviously been leaning in to for too long. That is, one where everyone goes home with a trophy so everyone "feels good".
I don't know, I just can't quite let go of my upbringing and one of many lessons taught... "earn it".

Perhaps one of you can answer a question I have?
Is it unfair for a restorer / owner who has researched and worked hard at his project to expect a qualified team of judges to scrutinize his vehicle?

trjford8
05-14-2015 @ 8:35 AM
Senior

I totally agree with TomO and 42 Merc. This is a hobby and is supposed to be fun. No one can know everything about a specific year or model of a car. Just as soon as you use the words "always" and "never" somebody proves you wrong. Judges and car owners learn together and it's the comradery of both that holds this club together. Let's not make this some elitist group with professional judges, professional restorers and car owners. Those cars did not leave the assembly line perfect and they will never be perfect. We do not live in a perfect world.

TomO
05-14-2015 @ 7:43 AM
Senior

Mike, I respect your opinions, but the Club has standards for judging the cars, "as Henry built them".

The Club publishes books to help owners restore their car back to original.

These cars were built to be driven and the Club encourages that they be driven, so there should be no perfect cars on the Concourse, because Henry did not make any perfect cars.

If the Club were to decide to train the judges, just how would you do the job and fund it?

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org