LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / System STILL Not Charging Properly

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: System STILL Not Charging Properly

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

TomO
08-24-2014 @ 8:58 AM
Senior

In addition to Supereals excellant advice, clean off the dielectric grease you used. Dielectric grease is an insulator and will prevent your voltage regulator from working properly.

I like to clean the paint off of a small area where the regulator mounting tab is and tin it to keep it from rusting, to give a good ground to the regulator. If you have the mounting cushions on your regulator, make sure that you have a ground strap between a mounting screw and the base of the regulator.

Tom

supereal
08-23-2014 @ 11:26 AM
Senior

Check the system voltage by placing a voltmeter between the BATT terminal of the regulator and ground. With the engine running at a high idle speed, you should see a reading of 7 to 7.5 volts. If not, connect the voltmeter between the positive (ground) battery post, and the frame of he generator. If the reading is more than .1 volt, clean and tighten the ground straps between the engine and the battery. and clean and tighten the generator mount. Be sure that the battery cables are correct for 6 volts, and that the cable ends are clean and tight. If the output is still low, put a jumper between the generator ARM and FIELD posts to see if the output increases. If so, the regulator is at fault. To check for parasitic system drain, remove the negative battery cable and place a 6 volt bulb or voltmeter between the cable and the battery post. If the bulb shows any light, or the voltmeter shows any reading, you will have to isolate the "leak" by disconnecting system connections until the bulb goes out or the meter goes to zero. Don't attempt to adjust the regulator. This must be done with an appropriate tester. Only the cutout points remain closed when the engine is running, The other two actually vibrate. Substituting charging system components isn't always a good practice, as even new parts may be defective.

cliftford
08-23-2014 @ 7:09 AM
Senior

From what you described, I doubt that the battery is at fault. Find a copy of a Motor's or Chilton's manual from this era and follow the trouble shooting procedure. Or find a knowlegable person to help you.
. All of this diagnosing on line, without having the car in front of you, is at best educated guesswork. One other thought, check all wires in the system for continuity,[no internal breaks] Let us know how you come out.

39Fordfan
08-22-2014 @ 8:50 PM

A couple of other possibilities:

The system has a slow leak in it somewhere, which discharges the battery slowly when not in use. It seems unrelated. I've had this problem since I got it back from the restorer. The Charging system worked fine for the first years during this period of this leak.

Is it possible this battery I got last year is already shot?

I left the ignition on one night by accident and the car has run well since then. It hasn't been tuned up since then, though I did replace the coil and condenser. Maybe this caused a short in the charging system somewhere?

39Fordfan
08-22-2014 @ 8:39 PM

@ Cliftford. Thank-you for your reply.

I put a small 2x4 block and used it to backstop a wonderbar as a pried the Gen up to tighten the belt. It seems to have done the trick as the Gen seems to be turning properly. Though I'm not sure how much a belt should deflect on these?

I sanded both the Gen and VR to bare metal at their contacts and used dielectric grease to ground them both. I'm thinking they are well grounded, but I'll look again.

I polarized the VR according to the instructions that came with it, both when I first installed it last week and when I installed the Gen today.

I'm not sure where the bad electrical connection would be?

Still waiting on the proper instructions for checking and changing the charging rate, though I was told that the new VR should have been set up correctly.

Thanks!

cliftford
08-22-2014 @ 8:04 PM
Senior

Here are some posibilities : belt slipping, belt is sometimes hard to adjust, Gen or reg not grounded, gen not polarized, bad electrical connection, or the charging rate is set too low.

This message was edited by cliftford on 8-22-14 @ 8:07 PM

39Fordfan
08-22-2014 @ 7:43 PM

Hi there,

I've got a '39 Deluxe with a Charging system issue. I replaced the battery last year, the Voltage Regulator, and now the Generator. I bought the VR and Gen at Little Dearborn and have never had any issues with the quality of the stuff I've gotten from them.

Unfortunately , the car STILL doesn't charge properly. It will run great as long as you don't use the lights and keep it at highway speed. If you wind up waiting at a traffic signal you can see the dash needle start to dip and the engine starts to run rough. If you turn the lights on, the needle on the dash meter drops way below "N" and the engine runs really bad soon after.

I'm not going to assume that the Gen and VR are perfect. But if there is nothing wrong with them, what do you think is going on here?

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org