LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Alternator Vs. Generator

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Alternator Vs. Generator -- page: 1 2 3 4

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

39Fordfan
08-13-2014 @ 2:29 PM

Hi,

A few weeks ago a made a post about a charging issue I have been having on my '39 Deluxe. I had banged the Voltage Regular with the back of a screw driver and the car ran really bad. So I changed the voltage regulator and the car ran better, but it still doesn't charge at the rate it should. Plus, I am also still getting some discharge from somewhere in the system after the car sits for a day or so. I thought this might've been due to the Voltage Regulator points remaining closed, but now I'm not so sure, with a new one in there.

So now, with the generator putting out about 3.5 - 4 volts I am looking to replace it. Someone told me you can get a 6 volt positive ground Alternator that looks like a generator. The advantage being enough juice to actually run brighter halogen lights and it is internally regulated. He absolutely swears by his.

One knock I heard was that the alternator runs hot inside of the generator housing and burns out quicker. What else do you think could go wrong with this set-up?

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of this issue, and what the simplest, fastest way to brighter lights is, with a nod to originality.

4dFordSC
08-13-2014 @ 2:53 PM

Ed Whitney does not use the original generator housing for his conversions. You need only send him your end plates, and he makes his own lightweight housing. I've been using one of his conversions for nearly 10 years, and have had no problems with heat or anything else.

This message was edited by 4dFordSC on 8-13-14 @ 2:54 PM

len47merc
08-13-2014 @ 3:09 PM
Senior

Albeit I'm talking '47 versus '39, but I ran into a similar situation when bringing this car back to life last year. After 4 - yes FOUR - voltage regulators (moral of the story - don't trust 'new' regulators), and also an armature change in the generator after having the gen tested on a growler and watching sparks shoot out the front of the gen ~6-8 inches at a local auto/electrical shop, I finally gave up on local/national auto parts shops' regulators and invested in a Quality voltage regulator (supplied by and validated by the same shop). After installing the new armature and supplying the shop with the gen they validated the output under load at 68 amps and also ensured the regulator was polarized and producing full output. After scr*w*ng around with this for a while myself, finally after letting the professionals/experts have at it, after install all issues were resolved and charging and output has been on the mark ever since. Wish I'd made this decision initially and saved myself hours of frustration. Output is 7.2-7.4V now.

Have 2 neighbors with 6V systems in their classics and they cannot believe how bright this '47's original headlights are. Taillights are quite visible during daylight hours. Dash and interior lights have the look they should. Voltage to the coil is correct. If you can stay original with your gen I'd recommend the same and as well recommend you find a quality auto/electrical shop skilled in classics early in your efforts to test and validate both your generator and the VR.

Steve

TomO
08-14-2014 @ 6:34 AM
Senior

I like the painting of your 39.

You can determine if the low charging voltage is due to the regulator or generator by connecting a jumper from the ARM terminal to the FLD terminal for a few seconds while running the engine at a fast idle and reading the voltage. It should be at least 7.5 volts if the generator is good.

Before you buy an alternator, you must find the source of the current draw on your battery.

The easiest way to do this is to disconnect the NEG battery cable and connect a test light between the cable and the battery post. If the light lights, you have a short somewhere. Start disconnecting connections and watch the light. A digital camera can be helpful in this process. Take photos before disconnecting wires, so you can see how they were connected when you want to restore the wiring back to normal.

Along with Steve's comments about the head lights, in most cases dim lights are not receiving the correct voltage or are incorrectly aimed. The lights on a 6 volt car need a minimum of 6 volts to give the proper illumination. I have found dimmer switches that drop 1.5 volts. Head light switches are another source of voltage drop.

The stock wiring in a 39 is not sufficient for halogen lights. If you have them install or are going to install them, you must either change the wiring to a heavier gauge, or install a relay to feed the bulbs.

Tom

JT Ford
08-14-2014 @ 7:24 AM

Contrary to popular believe, halogen seal beam headligt bulbs are not higher amperage. I have a pair in my l950 made by Wagner and they are much brighter and they are white. I have tried halagen tail light bulbs and the original wiring will not handle the load.

I didn't believe this to be true when I bought them but I go on Wagner's web site and it was true......

supereal
08-14-2014 @ 8:38 AM
Senior

Halogen headlights are about 100 watts each, while standard sealed beams draw about 50 watts each. Under Ohm's Law (Watts equal Amps times Voltage) , so the standard amperage draw is about 16 amps for the two, while the halogens draw almost 35 amps for the pair. With the output for a standard generator almost equal to the halogen load, nothing is left for the rest of the vehicle. Factor in the usual loss in the dash switch and dimmer, output is too low for the headlights of either type to be nearly as bright as necessary for nightime driving. With halogens in my 47, they were less bright than the standard type. After the installation of an alternator and relay board, they are now nearly as bright as my modern vehicles on six volts.

JT Ford
08-14-2014 @ 11:27 AM

Wagner H-6006 sealed beams are halogen. They are 7 inch, 6 volt they are 50/40 and draw 8.2 amps on high and 6.2 amps on low. There is a small halogen bulb inside the sealed beam unit,you can see it.The bulb is cooler to the feel when on. The are diffentlly brighter and they are whiter. Wagner do not make or sell the old 6006 any longer. That is the hole story..
Look it up........some NAPA stores sell them

len47merc
08-14-2014 @ 12:27 PM
Senior

39Fordfan - I think it comes down to this:

1) How much do you drive at night?
2) How many accessories have been added or are planned to be added to your car?
3) Do you know how bright your lights can be if your original system is charging properly? If you now do, is this acceptable given the amount of night driving you do (assuming they are properly aligned)?
4) How much do you care about originality?

Even if the answer to 4 is very little to none, TomO's comments and recommendations will very likely provide answers as to whether there is value in investing the money to convert. Keep in mind also you are talking '39 technologies and capabilities versus post-war.

Steve

supereal
08-14-2014 @ 1:12 PM
Senior

I'm not familiar with Wagner, even though I had them on my '47, and they were yellow, at best. All halogen lamps burn considerably hotter than regular bulbs, and require higher current. My amp measurements were made with our Amprobe. The headlights were from Drake. The NAPA site didn't give either the wattage or Lumen numbers. The figures given in the post would be correct for non-halogen lamps, which are doubled for two headlights. If the H-6006 are brighter than regular bulbs, but draw regular wattage, that would be great. I just haven't seen the evidence.

This message was edited by supereal on 8-14-14 @ 1:41 PM

JT Ford
08-14-2014 @ 4:26 PM

Superreal,
You should like these bulbs then, you have a computor
check it out. Wagner does not make a 6v. bulb like the older ones. When I bought them this Spring I didn't believe it either, but its true!

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org