LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / How do you set timing on a 35 flathead 8

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: How do you set timing on a 35 flathead 8 -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

fenbach
11-07-2023 @ 7:47 PM

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that on my '36, "the top of the no. 1 piston is in plain sight when I look thru the spark plug hole." I had occasion to look again recently and could NOT see the piston!
I do have a "new" engine and noticed that the recess for the sparkplugs is deeper on the heads of this engine than on the one before, deeper enough to block sight of the piston. But, curiously, the heads from both engines have the same part number, 68-6049B. The first engine had domed pistons. This one apparently has flat tops.
I ended up using a bent wire to find TDC [more or less]. Anyone know of a better method?

fenbach
08-03-2014 @ 8:05 PM

always nice to have someone apologize. thanks stroker. i found another suggestion for setting the timing, altho i haven't tried this method. in some forum on oct 21, 1999, a fellow that goes or went by the name "rumble seat" suggested using a vacuum gauge connected to the intake manifold. leave the vacuum line to the distributor in place. move the advance/retard plate back and forth to obtain max vacuum. that's it, he says. probably good to add that you should keep your fingers away from the fan and the belt when adjusting the breaker plate. anyone know of a safe way to do that??
and while you have a vacuum gauge out, take a look at page 9 of the july/aug, 2003 V8 times. dick flynn lists 9 ways a vacuum gauge can be used to diagnose engine problems.

Stroker
08-03-2014 @ 7:08 PM
Senior

Fenbach: I apologize for my expansive statement, and I agree that it is possible to see the
edge of a piston from a spark plug hole on a 32-53 Ford V8 if you view at an angle. This subject has been discussed before in regard to the use of screw-in timing stop screws which will very accurately determine TDC on those engines that have the spark plug located above the piston bore. As we both know, the spark plug hole on a Ford is not positioned in such a way to allow for the use of proprietary timing stop screws. The bent coat hanger or welding rod as you have pointed out is not an accurate measurement device, and likely is no better than a visual inspection with good light.

fenbach
08-03-2014 @ 4:10 PM

hmmm. i have a stock '36 LB engine, and the top of the piston is in plain sight when i look thru the spark plug hole. not all of it, of course, but more than enough to tell when it's at the top. with a small margin of error, but much better than i can do with a coat hanger. for the timing method to work you have to be sure it's on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke.

TomO
08-01-2014 @ 6:10 AM
Senior

Ken,

Have you considered that the distributor may already have new points, or that the 'experienced operator' ran out of hid Ford script points and had to buy NORS points?

Tom

Stroker
07-31-2014 @ 6:05 PM
Senior

I'd take issue with the statement: "just look down the no. 1 spark plug hole". Looking down any spark plug hole on a flathead Ford V8 will only give you a nice view of the area between the intake and exhaust valves. You CAN however, insert a bent coathanger or welding rod and find the piston, which is displaced somewhat towards the exhaust side of the engine, and get a rough idea of TDC.

fenbach
07-31-2014 @ 1:58 PM

the V8 times has many articles about distributors and timing. one, in particular, gives a simple method to find TDC. "Engine Timing Tips" by charles schwendler. Vol 37, no. 2, pg 45. just look down the no. 1 spark plug hole! he also explains how to set the advance using a timing light. but the book, V-13 from suppliers, 1932-36 Ford Engine and Chassis Repair Manual, has a slick way to set the advance. put the no. 1 piston at TDC. set the number one plug wire close to the block, turn the ignition on, move the slider all the way down and then up until you get a spark. now move the slider up one more notch and you'll be at 4 deg before TDC. worked for me.

ken ct.
07-31-2014 @ 3:14 AM
Senior

Tom an "experienced operator" will only use quality points on installations,lol ken ct.

TomO
07-30-2014 @ 8:55 AM
Senior

The correct point setting will give you correct timing. The best way to set the points is on a distributor machine. Skip Haney in Florida, Yesteryear Ford part in Michigan and C&G Ford parts in California all provide this service. There are others that also provide this service. If you are a member of a Regional Group, ask your fellow members for a source.

The dual point distributor uses one set of points to make the circuit and the other set to break the circuit to give more time to saturate the coil.The break set of points controls the timing of the spark. The distributor is driven directly by the camshaft. It has a tang that is offset to match the offset slot in the camshaft end. The screw on the passenger side of the distributor is used to give a few more degrees of advance or retard to compensate for different fuel grades.

There are problems with the quality of the points being sold today and a distributor machine in the hands of an experienced operator, will be able to spot these defective parts and replace them with good parts.

Tom

ken ct.
07-29-2014 @ 12:40 PM
Senior

You will already be real close if dist is installed correctly. ei: tounge of dist lined up with the offset slot in the camshaft.After that move the timming screw andindex plate 1 line up from middle mark.You should be ready to go. Caution points must be set with coil scr*w*d down to dist .014 both sides. ken ct. actually pretty simple after a hundred or so done. lol.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org