LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Alternator wiring

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Alternator wiring

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Drbrown
11-18-2013 @ 8:33 PM
Senior

Agreed re boot-strapping Alt wiring. The Alt line to ignition .... since it doesn't include a dash warning light, appears to need a 4 ohm/4 watt resistor in parallel. Also, Alt pulley size may need to be reduced - its rpms may be too low for proper function at idle.

Otherwise, concerned about mix of old/new wiring and elec devices behind dash board. Researching wiring, safety and electrical efficiency issues ID'd some with merit. (1) relocate high-current wires and devices into engine compartment; (2) more equally distribute high-current wiring/loads; (3) reduce high-current wiring to reduce voltage drops. Plan to (a) remove high-current loop behind original Ammeter - it becomes decorative; (b)remove the modern Ammeter; (c) subsitute that with a Voltmeter whose low-current lead goes to seloniod post shared by the Batt, Alt output and Alt "senser" line; (d) expand the newer fuse panel to eliminate the potentially dangerous/original circuit breaker; (e) install three relays in engine compartment to serve the headlights and fog lights. Remaining passenger compartment wiring and devices would generally be low-current i.e. forward relay control wiring, ignition, heater and wiper motors, OD switch, dash/interior lighting, clock and wiring to rear lights. Also, lots of ground wires everywhere.

Be nice if they made a vintage-style wiring harness for such a layout .... safety and efficiency wins.

supereal
11-17-2013 @ 9:56 AM
Senior

The sensor wire must go all the way back to the battery where it "senses" the actual battery voltage. If you bootstrap directly to the alternator out put, it will result on either over or undercharging.

Drbrown
11-16-2013 @ 11:07 PM
Senior

Need to correct myself re previous reply .... My GM/Delco 10 SI Alt is the earlier 3-wire version which in my system is wired such: First wire on top is "Sensor" and loops to adjacent Alt output; Second wire on top is so-called "warning-light" lead and it goes to ignition, as you say, to activate the Alt so it goes into a charging state, even at idle. As noted at idle I found only abt 8v at Amp Gauge and Batt. As you note, should be higher and Alt needs more "sensing" - see below ....

Some extend the "sensor" wire to the same connection where the Alt output winds-up at the Batt. Thus it senses voltage level at the Batt after the voltage has dropped after being reduced by the system wiring and components. However this will make the Alt increase it's voltage output accordingly. I am going to run a temporary sensor line in this manner and see what voltages I find at various points. The caution here: 12v battery manufacturers say charge at minimum of 14.4v and DO NOT exceed 14.7v, especially if a "sealed" battery. So installing a volt meter at an appropriate point in ones system is a good idea.

AMPERAGE: Original Ford Shop Manual (Pg R-14) says put system under high load (see specific's) and with an Ammeter at Amp Cutout in regulator, it should read between 31 and 33 amperes. I don't have an external regulator anymore but at least now I'm not so concerned my Amp Gauge runs up to that range at higher RPM's under high demand situations. Caution here: Newer Alternators are available in relatively high Amp outputs .... chose cautiously/install minimum needed.

Drbrown
11-15-2013 @ 11:05 PM
Senior

Turns out I have a 10 SI GM Alt. As you note first, with my system I would use the "one-wire" arrangement with Alt output to positive batt term via selonoid stud that side. The short loop "senser" wire on top of the Alt connects to the Alt output. The second wire on the Alt top apparently can be dormant as it was intended to connect to a glowing "indicator light" on the dash .... or I supoose it could go to ground via a resistor if needed. Going to replace batt and tear into the wiring mess. Thanks very much and I'll keep you posted. Ford '47 wiring diagram attached.

supereal
11-15-2013 @ 6:27 AM
Senior

You apparently have the two wire type that requires a connection to the ignition switch to turn on the unit. The other wire is supposed to run directly to the battery. This allows the unit to sense the actual battery level, and should not be connected to the alternator output post directly. The output wire reaches the battery by putting that wire thru the ammeter. The voltage across the battery post with the engine off should be about 12.6 volts. With the engine running, it should rise no further than 14.7 volts. Checking voltage is better that trying to read the amperage. As you report only 8 volts, i would disconnect the wire on top from the output post and connect to the battery "hot" side, then check the voltage reading. As the system was heavily charging, the battery may be ruined, and substituting a new one will tell? The readings you quote could show a bad cell. At our shop, we do lots of auto electric work, and any deviation from the correct wiring usually spells trouble. I have an alternator on my '47, a six volt car, and has worked well for many years.

Drbrown
11-14-2013 @ 10:25 PM
Senior

Thanks for your thoughts. True, charging above 15 amps can do damage. Right now, my sys does the extremes of often typical dim lighting at idle vs. apparent excessive output at high RPM. It is a GM Alt with the rectangular shaped plastic two-wire clip connection on top of the Alt's back side. Today rec'd some recommended wiring corrections which I'll try. (1) Install ground wire direct to Alt body - otherwise its internal volt reg may not work (2) Re-route heavy-guage red wire connected at Alt's output direct to the Batt positive post (3) For internal volt reg, one of the two gray wire currently leads from the Alt's output to the top-clip-connection, and from there the second gray wire should continue to ign switch, which I think it does now. On my own today, I found abt 12.5v across batt term's when car off, and when car at idle Alt's was/is putting out 8v .... not much but not 0v either. Next time - what happens with above changes. Re your comment: Yes, I have seen posts abt disconnecting the existing gray-wire loop from the Alt's output term, but not seen mention about using it instead as a ground for the Alt. That would at least leave the other gray-wire for conn to ign switch .... all a different scheme than first above.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 11-14-13 @ 10:49 PM

supereal
11-14-2013 @ 9:07 PM
Senior

From your description, I assume your have a "one wire" type of alternator. Most GM alternators have a two wire plug at the top. We use one of those terminals to provide a ground to kick on the alternator instead of over revving the engine. I'm not sure why one is connected to the alternator output. In the typical one wire system, the output is simply connected to the large yellow wire that runs thru the loop on the ammeter. Someone versed on alternator conversion needs to look yours over. Thirty amps will cook your battery. The usual problem with alternator conversions is that the flathead Ford engine simply doesn't turn fast enough to operate the alternator. Modern cars run the units at about ten times crankshaft speed. We install a smaller pulley on the alternator to help turn it faster. Most who trade a good generator for an alternator are disappointed. I suspect whomever did yours tried to increase the output

Drbrown
11-13-2013 @ 10:22 PM
Senior

Alternator on recently purchased '47 Ford seems faulty. Looks like a GM; See no markings; No exterior voltage regulator; System a 12 volt conversion. Car startes/runs okay. At idle (abt 500 RPM) headlights dim significantly and alternator does not kick into charge mode. Above idle (i.e. 2000 RPM) tests show no-load 12.88 volts and only 12.47 volts under load. Batt condition "marginal" but cranks starter at "normal" 10.25 volts. Old and newer amp guages show charging and above idle can reach 30 amps.

Heavy-guage red wire from threaded stud no back side of Alt runs to newer amp guage. At top back-side of Alt is a plastic snap-in connector with 2 gray small guage wires - one loops to connect to adjacent threaded stud where red wire is - other runs to somewhere behind dash near area of original working amp guage (unclear-wiring nightmare there).

Does wiring arrangement sound okay ? Should I test voltage at newer amp meter ? No gound strap btwn engine and body - could try a temporay to see if headlights brighten ?

Any comments appreciated.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org