LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1946 heater switch wiring with 12 volts neg ground

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1946 heater switch wiring with 12 volts neg ground -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

headgearr
01-20-2010 @ 8:06 AM

I need to findout how to wire my original switch to run the blower motor? If not how do I wire the blower motor to run with an aftermarket switch. It has four wires and I don't what to do with this many wires. Also do I need to drop the voltage to 6 volts?

42wagon
01-20-2010 @ 8:25 AM
Senior

Well to start with an original heater has a 6 volt motor and a 6 volt switch. I would think you will burn out the motor by running it on 12 volts.

The motor should have 4 wires coming out of it. Three go to the switch and one goes to ground. The reason for that many wires is the motor is intended to run the fan forward and reverse. This allows you to either pull or push air through the heater coil giving you a choice of how the air is being blown around the car and also through the defroster nozzles. An original switch has a built in rheostat to control the fan speed and a light bulb to tell if the fan is on.

curts41
01-20-2010 @ 9:30 AM

Thank you headgearr and 42 Wagon. I too am wiring a heater and also have 4 wires coming from the motor. Can you tell me how the motor reverses direction with the switch. I do not have a switch yet but do I need one with a speed control and ability to reverse. Any help would be appreciated. And please forgive the stupid question

Curt

supereal
01-20-2010 @ 10:27 AM
Senior

The 4 wire heater motor and switch operates the fan in opposite directions by switching the polarity to the motor. One wire is ground, which you can trace to the body of the motor, one is a field center tap, and the other two are attached to the ends of the field. The control has two resistors that drop the voltage to provide a slow fan. I haven't been able to to locate my wiring diagram, but I'm sure someone has it. The original part number for the switch was 51A15122-B, which was superceded by 8C-18578-A. I don't believe it is reproduced. In any case, 6 volt motors can't be used in a 12 volt system. The high current draw is usually too high for the resistive droppers. Heaters were dealer installed accessories, in most cases, so the Ford number may not be appropriate. In most cases, the color codes on the wires are gone, so it takes trial and error to connect the switch. Just don't connect the ground wire to a "hot" source.

42wagon
01-20-2010 @ 11:21 AM
Senior

Curt
I suppose you could run the heater with a simple on/off switch by playing with the connection of the wires to it. But why would you want to? You would be loosing all the functionality of the speed and reverse control. The switches apparently are not reproduced but they do come up from time to time on E-bay and I'm sure at any big swap meet.
Ted

headgearr
01-20-2010 @ 11:57 AM

Do you mean that I cannot use this 6 volt motor with a voltage reducer? Some of these are rated up to 20 amp.If it can be run through one of these do i have to worry about positive ground vs neg. ground.

curts41
01-20-2010 @ 1:34 PM

42wagon and all,
I do not want to just hook up the heater without using all the controls which were intended for this application. I have determined which wires do what , and have started the fan. What I did not understand was why the blower seemed to intake air as opposed to blowing out. I did notice that the air went out in the right direction to the defroster but not into the car. Now, I think I understand how it is supposed to work. I have found several swithches on ebay, but no mention of a reverse. Will these switches work as far as the blower going in the right direction. I really don't care as much about the defroster as I do keeping the DW warm.

Curt

42wagon
01-20-2010 @ 3:07 PM
Senior

Curt
Not sure what you are using for a switch. If its not the one intended for the job you probably have the wires connected in one direction. Switching the wires around will probably cause the fan to reverse and blow air out instead of in.

The switch you need is cylindrical with a nut on the front side to screw into a small panel that bolts under the dash. Depending on which heater you have the panel may also have a remote cable for the defroster dampers. Some heaters have the defroster damper control on the face of the heater. Anyway back to the switch. There will be four connections on the back. One to connect to a power source and three to connect to the heater. You should find that the connections on the switch are color coordinated with the wires.

The control knob on the switch turns in one direction for the air to blow out and in the other direction for the air to blow in.

One bit of warning, heaters were accessories in the V8 era. Many cars never even had them. If you are expecting the creature comforts of a modern car expect to be disappointed. Oh they will deliver heat but just not what you are used to.

Hope this helps
Ted

supereal
01-20-2010 @ 3:10 PM
Senior

The "real" switch has 5 positions: Off, High, Low forward, and High, Low reverse. The heater is the three door variety. There is a good picture of the control and the heater on page 312 of the Club's excellent 1941-48 book. The knob next to the switch is to control defrost. Polarity is important. If you want the fan to work as per the switch, you have to reverse the wires for negative ground. I don't recall the current draw of the motor. When using a voltage dropper with a motor, you have to know the starting load, as well as the running load. Motors can draw lots of current. I've had several of these heaters, and I can say that you shouldn't expect lots of comfort from them. We are spoiled with today's "climate controls". The heaters are hard to find in good condition, as the cores usually are poor.

oldford2
01-20-2010 @ 4:02 PM

You need the 4 terminal switch. low and high for heat, then pull the defrost knob and low and high for defrost. By pulling the defrost knob you close the forward duct and the reversed air goes up the defrost tubes to the windshield. I bought the correct switch from Stacy at Texas Antique Auto, Arlington,TX
This 4 wire switch is not reproduced. John

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org