LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Defining 'N.O.S.'

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Defining 'N.O.S.'

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

kubes40
08-30-2013 @ 5:35 PM
Senior

Alan, your examples of hoses, carbs. and fuel pumps are all good examples.
It may be worth mentioning something that guys like you and I simply take for granted as common knowledge...
A part may truly be NOS. That does not necessarily mean it is CORRECT for a particular car.
Alan brought up a very good example. Carburetors were produced for many years as service parts. I have had numerous, brand new in the box. The parts book calls them out (example) '37 - '48. Yep, it'll fit, it'll function and yep, still in the Ford box, it's NOS.
Is it correct for all of those prescribed years?
Nope - can't be.
Another example are the numerous high / low beam floor switches for 1940 offered on eBay. Many remain in the box with an 01A prefix. Are most of them correct? Actually none of them in the 01A box are correct. The factory installed switch had but two holes with which to mount the switch. ALL service parts had three holes.
Yep, NOS. Yep, a point deduction upon the concourse...

This message was edited by kubes40 on 8-30-13 @ 5:41 PM

ford38v8
08-30-2013 @ 5:32 PM
Senior

Larry, another definition for you: An "Early Take off" is a used part, but sometimes can wind up in an original Ford box, or otherwise offered as NOS. These things did happen at dealerships for legitimate reasons as well as some not so legitimate reasons. A factory installed part may have been upgraded to an optional accessory part before the car left the dealership. Or, a good part was removed by a hotrodder years later. Both can rightously be called Early Take Off.
For an example of an Early Take Off being described as NOS, check out the photograph of a "NOS" ballast resistor in the online catalogue of a well respected supplier often praised on this website. You'll see the unmistakable mark left by a mounting bolt! Gray areas here, nothing at all wrong with the resistor, not worth any less, but technically it does seem to be misidentified.

Oh, by the way, note to Mike:
Many Weatherhead NORS flexhoses in use today. You know the one, paper tag on the hose identifies it as correct for Ford, Mercury, and Linoln Zephyr, through 1941, as I remember? Weatherhead WAS the authborized supplier of the original equipment, was it not? Aren't there similar examples with Holly carbs and AC fuel pumps?

Alan

Larry Lange
08-30-2013 @ 10:04 AM

Folks, thanks for the responses -- and keep them coming. They are good cautionary tales. I bring it up because of a recent experience with a well-known supplier who had advertised an NOS part in a catalogue. The supplier's website showed the part I was looking for in the original configuration, and the sales person I spoke with by phone said that, indeed, they had an NOS version. What I got in the mail was a new reproduction. I sent it back, but not before talking to a different salesperson who told me the company had, indeed, had some NOS versions but had sold them and hadn't changed the catalogue. One commenter was right to note that the old inventory of parts is long gone. I tried to take the quick way out, and it didn't work. I'll have to scour further.

supereal
08-29-2013 @ 4:41 PM
Senior

Amen to that, Mike. The last NOS part I bought was on eBay. I had been seeking a clock to match a genuine NOS speedometer. The seller assured me it was in the original Ford box. It was, but the clock didn't wind. My best guess is that the clock came out of a 47-48 when it was replaced under warranty. Fortunately, I've fixed lots of these clocks, and it came back to life. I do occasionally buy NOS from known sources. I am happy with the clock,although it was a bit pricey, but looks like "new", which was the aim, in the first place. I know there is a whole industry around "NOS" and "NORS" items online. In view of the usual high prices involved, I insist on a photo if I don't know the seller. That saved me a lot of money over the years. Almost all of the parts gleaned from old or closed dealers is gone now, so be very cautious.

kubes40
08-29-2013 @ 3:41 PM
Senior

If NOS is to mean not original size than a good half of what Drake sells and nearly all of the Vintique stuff is NOS.
C'mon guys, let's not split hairs here. NOS simply means a part either made by an authorized manufacturer and subsequently supplied to (in this case) Ford, or made by the vehicle manufacturer, in this case, Ford.
Whether or not it was a factory "second" is questionable. Many parts were made with the intent of being placed in to a service parts inventory. They were the identical quality of what was installed upon the assembly line.
NORS is a part NOT made by the authorized supplier nor the vehicle manufacturer. Rather, it was a part made to fit and function (replace) an original part by a number of after market companies. An example might be a dimmer switch made by Delco Electronics. I see these on eBay all the time. Yep, they will fit and function. However, they were not made by an authorized supplier nor Ford. Hence, NORS.

I do agree there has to be some caution used with the purchase of NOS parts. There often is a good reason they are still laying around after 70+ years. Second quality? Perhaps.
I know for a fact that many of the NOS gauges found on eBay are the old, defective gauge that was removed from the cluster, placed in the box and found it's way back on some shelf vs. being disposed of.
And, unfortunately, many folks, either lacking scruples or simply lacking the proper education will advertise NOS without noting the fact it is scratched, dented, etc.
Many of us who have been around for a while will term these NOS parts "NOS - shelf worn". A clear indication that yes, the part is new, it is a correct part, but, is not "as new".

nelsb01
08-29-2013 @ 6:29 AM
Senior

Of course, following Alan's definition explaination..... N O S could now mean Not Original Size. Which is as he describes, what a number of parts are -- a lot of work to make them fit. (if they fit at all).

ford38v8
08-28-2013 @ 10:44 PM
Senior

Larry, your answer is not as simple as you may think it to be. NOS does mean "New Old Stock", which strictly speaking means that the part described as such is the exact part that would have been installed on the vehicle on the assembly line. The complication with that definition is that in many cases today, the part may indeed have been at the assembly line to be installed, did not meet expectations for some reason and was pulled off the assembly line, subsequently to be sold to dealers. Reasons it could have been pulled would range from simply a misaligned mounting hole to a fender produced on a worn out stamping die, nothing seriously wrong, but would have meant a slowing of the assembly line to accomodate special handling or fitting. These slightly defective parts, having been rejected from factory assembly lines (then often rejected by the dealers mechanics also), are now available these many years later, and make up an ever increasing percentage of the existing stocks of NOS parts today. This, then, is the sad but often true definition of NOS.

Another definition that you'll need to know is NORS, meaning "New Old Replacement Stock" which are parts that fit and perform properly, but were manufactured later, as replacements for the originals. These parts, while genuine Ford parts, may cost a point or two on the Concourse if point judged, but otherwise are perfectly good and serviceable. They are, by the way, much less likely to have defects as are the NOS parts available today.

Alan

Old Henry
08-28-2013 @ 10:27 PM
Senior

You got it right. N.O.S. stands for New Old Stock which means the part is old stock of an original new part that has never been installed. It is not a new recent reproduction of the original part nor is it a used part.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 8-28-13 @ 10:28 PM

Larry Lange
08-28-2013 @ 10:00 PM

I'm checking my definitions and would like some input: When someone describes Ford parts as NOS, what do you take that to mean? To me, it means new Ford parts made back in the era of the car and still available (however many of those parts still remain).

Is that what it means to the rest of you out there? Let me know.

Thanks!

Larry Lange, Puget Sound Regional Group

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org