LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / drake at tahoe

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: drake at tahoe -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

FrankM-RG5
06-02-2013 @ 7:58 PM

Maybe you could get a local member to let you have a shipment sent to their place and they could meet you in Tahoe. Just put out a request and see what happens. I have oredered some stuff from Carpenter recently and the shipping was quite reasonable. Of course we are both on the east coast but see what happens.

nelsb01
06-01-2013 @ 2:35 PM
Senior

I think the answer to all this is the one that was over on the other site.
Mr. Drake may have to take out a sales tax permit to sell in CA or NV. That could be costly!
I know for a fact that selling at Hershey is not cheap and they do come around and check to make sure that you are 'paying them' what they are due.
Although, if I was Bob, I think I would call this a vacation and enjoy myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JM
06-01-2013 @ 9:14 AM
Senior

Bob Drake was at St George, Utah in 2010 with his parts trailer and new '40 ford body that is now in Carpenters hands. If he wanted to bring orders for pickup at Tahoe he could bring that in a small trailer, in the back of a van, or PU with cap. He could also take orders while there. When I say he it could be one of his employees doing this and not Bob himself.

John

This message was edited by JM on 6-2-13 @ 5:16 AM

TomO
06-01-2013 @ 7:19 AM
Senior

Jim,

I know what you mean about English weather. I just returned from 10 days in Southern England and was cold all 10 days.

I would try C&G or call Drake back and tell the salesman that the web site says that they will bring orders to Lake Tahoe and if he will not guarantee the order, ask to talk to Bob Drake.

Tom

woodiewagon46
06-01-2013 @ 6:50 AM
Senior

I am not one to defend Bob Drake but you have to remember that Drake is dealing with a fairly limited market at Tahoe. The prediction is about 600 cars and that's great, but for Drake to bring his entire "road show" to Tahoe is very expensive for him, it's just not worth it . His display at the NSRA Louisville show is huge but there are over 10,000 cars and many thousands of people buying parts!

37coop
06-01-2013 @ 1:33 AM

thanks guys ,I understand the problems of being competitive but their plight is not helped by employing sales staff with attitude .I,m 66 and been playing with old cars and bikes for 40 years ,first of all coachbuilt English , Daimler ,alvis then got into American ,here in the good old u.k we have a window of about 4 months (if we are lucky) before rubbish weather hits us, i still don't know and cant believe they are going to Tahoe without stock to sell and not taking orders to collect there ,has anybody done this or am I being paranoid, cheers jim.

woodiewagon46
05-31-2013 @ 5:26 PM
Senior

Drakes quality has gone way down. I purchase a pair of rear fender gravel guards for my '46 woodie and the three of the mounting studs were in the wrong location. After a couple of months I noticed that two of the welds broke and the guard had pulled away from the fender. I also purchased an "8" for the hood ornament and it lasted about a month before it fell off. When I talked to Bob he said I should have glued it on with silicone!!! He did not offer to replace it though.

supereal
05-31-2013 @ 5:04 PM
Senior

My friend Dan (Stroker) has well expanded my opinion. Under it all is the evident fact that the old car hobby is in a death spiral. I yield to no one regarding the fun and satisfaction the hobby has given me.
That said, as I knock on the door of 80, I know that this passion isn't shared by even my kids who are all in their mid to late 50's. When I entered the hobby, there were many sources, and we learned by trial and error who could deliver quaity and reasonable price. Sadly, the best have obviously encountered the headwinds of changing times. Drake, Carpenter, and others who have been the flagship old car suppliers are struggling to maintain a market adequate to sustain theirs and pay their bills. I salute them for their tenacity and extend thanks for the service they have given us over the years.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-31-13 @ 5:05 PM

Stroker
05-31-2013 @ 4:23 PM
Senior

Supereal summed it up, but I'd add that in the past, I have found Bob Drake's stuff to be exceptional. I don't know what happened, but I know that Dennis Carpenter has expanded his line of reproduction parts using original factory tooling. Every business goes through cycles, and
I suspect that Drake is suffering from leadership as the company has aged, and the mission has become more diffuse.

The biggest up-front gamble that any supplier of parts experiences is tooling cost. In terms of numbers, we provide a very small market of potential customers, and accordingly, Drake has expanded into the "Street-Rod" community in an effort to increase those numbers. Attempts to contain costs has driven many to source finished products from Asia. When a new supplier starts out, it is often a "mom and pop" operation with no outside labor. Bob Drake started out that way making cardboard glove compartment liners.

Check the advertisers in our V8 Times, as many of those are too small to have extensive catalogs or websites, but are truly dedicated to helping preserve our hobby.

supereal
05-31-2013 @ 2:58 PM
Senior

It isn't you. Their problems began with excessive backorders with no expectation of delivery in the forseeable future. The order takers can't answer questions, and more often than not, the delivered order is not correct. For many years, Bob Drake was the "gold standard" of old Ford parts. He has been a constant supporter of Ford events I don't know why this is happening. For us "old timers", it is very sad. We switched suppliers a long time ago out of necessity.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org