LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / handbrake lever wont ratchet

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: handbrake lever wont ratchet

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

37coop
04-27-2013 @ 1:13 PM

thanks trj,i will do that ....in the meantime I,m going to put on a new post on this subject ,an idea I,v got needing some advice ,thanks jim .

trjford8
04-26-2013 @ 5:51 PM
Senior

37coop, post a want ad on this site and one on Fordbarn for the brake. Specify if they are coming to Tahoe to bring it with them. One might show up at the swap meet , but your odds would be better to find someone who is coming to the meet and can bring it to you.

37coop
04-26-2013 @ 3:18 PM

thanks Richard...over here in the uk it would be pretty hard to find a replacement handbrake lever ,I,m going to Tahoe so maybe find one in the swopmeet if I need one ,

51f1
04-26-2013 @ 4:06 AM
Senior

The spring that works the ratchet pawl is probably broken. Your best bet is to find a replacement parking brake leaver.

The serial number or VIN number for the truck is on a plate on the right side firewall inside the engine compartment (patent data plate) and on the plate inside the glove box. This number was put on the patent data plate at the engine factor and wired to the engine. When the engine was installed, the first few letters/numbers, eg., F1R, were added to indicate the truck and engine type, so the number after the F1R (or whatever) is the engine number. It doesn't appear on the engine. This plate was attached to the right side of the firewall in the engine compartment.

Richard

37coop
04-26-2013 @ 2:42 AM

thanks guys , I did use some wd40 (lubricant) and it didn't improve ,I,ll have to take a closer look ,I couldn't see a spring at all ,regarding the engine number the fact it hasn't got one is o.k ,I,ll register it as n/a ,its just it has a space on the registration form for a number , thanks again , jim.

trjford8
04-24-2013 @ 5:48 PM
Senior

The truck does not have an engine number. In the glove box fixed to the glove box door you should find an ID plate. It gives the ID number, assembly plant, engine size , rear end ratio, and color. Next check the top of the right frame rail near the front crossmember. You should find a stamped number that matches the one on the ID plate. To register your truck that is the number to use. It should also match the paper work you received from the previous owner.
Try woodieman's suggestion on oiling the mechanism. If that does not work I think you may have a broken spring.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 4-24-13 @ 5:49 PM

alanwoodieman
04-24-2013 @ 4:18 PM
Senior

first thing would be to spray some sort of penetrant on the works of the brake handle-if they are dirty/rusty the whool works will stick--motor number? there isn't any that I know of

37coop
04-24-2013 @ 2:04 PM

h*llo ...my 51 f1 truck handbrake wont click on the ratchet when pulled up ,I,v recently acquired the truck and all was ok with it at first then I pulled it up today and it wouldn't connect, I assume there is a spring that pushes the small lever into the ratchet teeth,i cant see one and I cant see anything on the floor if it has fallen out or broken ,puzzled me that has ...one other thing , to register the truck here in the uk I need to find the engine number ,I cant see one on the 8ba ,I,m probably looking in the wrong place , any idea where to look ? many thanks ....jim.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org