LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 12 volt fuel pump flooding problem 8BA

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 12 volt fuel pump flooding problem 8BA -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

37coop
04-08-2013 @ 12:30 PM

h*llo, further to my recent post regarding the fuel pumping problem with my recent 51 F1 u.k import.i have left emails at several suppliers with the hope of being able to purchase the elusive 8BAfuel pump rod and bush.in the meantime i am trying to fix the existing problem with the current 12 volt pump system .the carb floods and the pump continues to click(pump)so i took advice from the forum and bought a pressure regulator and set it to 41/2 lbs,it still floods .i have tried 3 carbs and reduced the pressure to 31/2 and they still flood ,one of the carbs is from my 39coupe which works perfectly on the 39 with the original manual pump...i cant work this one out ,i guess its the pump which appears fairly new but i would have thought the regulator would have done the job ...any ideas , thanks jim.

rotorwrench
04-08-2013 @ 1:01 PM

I sounds to me like the float valve isn't shutting off the flow as well as it should. The fuel pressure has to be low for the all metal float needle valve to work properly as someone evidently has already clued you in on installation of a pressure regulator. There may be a problem with the seat or your power valve might be leaking.

37coop
04-08-2013 @ 1:50 PM

thanks rotor ,i also thought that to be the obvious answer but the fact three carbs including one tested to be good in my 39 are all flooding with pressure of three and a half psi makes me scratch my head ,i put all three carbs in a bowl and linked to the pump so i could see where the gas was going instead of the gas going in the sump, many thanks jim.

supereal
04-08-2013 @ 2:45 PM
Senior

I'd suspect that your electric pump is not automatically shutting off when the float needle is closed. We use the in line pump sold by C&G, and have never had your problem. The old Delco pumps used to swamp the carbs. We have never had to install a pressure regulator with the Airtex pumps.

Big Red 51
04-08-2013 @ 3:10 PM

Bob, I bought two9597 double action Airdtex in the last six months and they both put out around 7 to 8 lbs. The first one blew out the power valve so put a reg in till I can put something in thee line to slow it down for showing. I was really surprised.
Don H

supereal
04-08-2013 @ 5:16 PM
Senior

As said, I haven't had any problems. We buy them from C&G and just put them in the fuel line near the tank. I can hear them slow down and stop when the carb is full. There are two types, one each for 12 and 6 volts. When my fuel line plugged with dirt and rust, the electric got e home. Otherwise, I use it to fill the carb after overnight .for longer than overnight

37coop
04-09-2013 @ 2:49 AM

thanks for your help all , i think i,ll go the c&g route and buy a new pump,i was even thinking of a new carb but so expensive with the shipping plus taxes in the uk and it possibly wont solve the problem,i,v emailed 4 suppliers as reccomended by forum members regarding the availability of the fuel pump pushrod and not a reply from any of them yet,the route i will take is ...another fuel pump from c@g and when and iff i can get another pushrod i will use the electric pump on a switch as backup...so frustrating ,i,v had my truck over a week now and it hasnt turned a wheel under its own steam , thanks folks,i,ll post at a later date to let you know how it panned out , cheers jim.

Big Red 51
04-09-2013 @ 6:50 AM

Jim, Just talked with the DC guys, they have the fuel pump rods and bushings in stock, however, the metal is too soft so they are not shipping them out and are trying to get another supplier. Sounds like Chinese metal to me. Guess you will have to go with the electric pump for now.
Bob;
I was talking about the Airtex mechanical double action fuel pumps which have the 7 to 8 lbs of pressure. Checked with two known good gauges. One pump was from C&G. I also talked with a tech at Airtex who said they don't check the pressure output before they ship and, furthermore, he said they don't have a way to check the pressure anyway. I was very surprised to hear him say that. With as many new pumps that they ship, you would think they would rig a simple way to check the output pressure. I am looking for a way to reduce the pressure output down to around 3 lbs without using a regulator( for show purposes). I guess I could shorten the stroke by putting a piece of leather in the pump cap. Think that would work to bring it down to 3lbs or so? I have already blown out one KenCTs good power valves in the 94 carb.
Don

37coop
04-09-2013 @ 7:12 AM

thanks all , I,v just ordered a 12 volt pump from c&g as advised(before I got back onto the forum) in the catalogue it just states 12 v or 6v it doesn't give any info regarding brand or pressure etc but as they were the only choice I,m guessing they are airtex as mentioned by super . I got a message back from carpenter regarding the pushrod and they stated the same reason as don got from dc ..the metal wasn't hard enough so they have been backed and awaiting a further delivery,also an email from joblot saying a waiting of around 2 months ,I,m pleased that eventually I can get one,if I can crack on using the electric pump system till then that will do nicely.....don ..I didn't quite understand when you said about the,,airtex mechanical double action pump..by mechanical do you mean non electric? and what is the double action?...and what pressure can I expect from the pump I,v just bought?although I,m prepared to use a regulator, thanks again , this forum has been fantastic , I,v been in the club near on 30 years with a short break and never used it before , cheers ..jim.

ken ct.
04-09-2013 @ 9:02 AM
Senior

Didn't it sink in yet your running too hi a pressure. try 2#. ken ct.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org