LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Advice sought - sale of 1935 Ford Coupe

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Advice sought - sale of 1935 Ford Coupe -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

stevenwham
02-11-2013 @ 6:09 PM

I have a 1935 Ford five window coupe that has undergone a $120000 restoration about 18 months ago. The car has about 200 miles post restoration. I bought it from the estate of the owner who commissioned the restoration. Fully documented and, I would say, museum quality. I am selling to downsize a collection, and have no idea what this vehicle is worth, and would appreciate any comments & leads on establishing market value. Many thanks. Steve Ham, Keswick, VA, 434.466.9820

ford38v8
02-11-2013 @ 6:44 PM
Senior

Steve, First advice I have for you is to not refer to the car as being in "museum quality", which is actually a derogative term when talking about a restoration. Next, invest in a professional appraisal of the car, and let the appraiser take the heat if it doesn't live up to the hype: What you've already posted here could come back to haunt you in this litigious world. With the appraisal, you are then free to explore the various ways to realize it's true value.

Alan

deuce_roadster
02-11-2013 @ 7:01 PM

I think you will have a tough time recouping 120k on a 35 5W coupe no matter how it was restored.
Seriously though, 35s haven't commanded the money that 34s or 36s have due to popularity but a nice car is a nice car. If it was restored properly and could easily get a Dearborn at an EFV8 meet you can ask for top dollar for whatever 35 coupes go for. You might take it to the Tahoe meet and see how it does on the concourse, that will tell you a lot. It is really impossible to tell how much something is worth from just a picture. Good luck.

flatheadfan
02-12-2013 @ 5:42 AM

stevenwham-

Like others have stated, an independent appraiser with a knowledge of '35s is a good place to establish a value.

However, a supposedly $120,000 restoration is suspect. I also have a '35 coupe and from my experience a 5-window '35 in top condition would struggle to bring something in the upper $30s in today's market. Just looking at the picture I see several things that are or appear to be "wrong" or incomplete. That being said, I also concur, a nice car is a nice car.

Tom

This message was edited by flatheadfan on 2-12-13 @ 12:13 PM

supereal
02-12-2013 @ 10:22 AM
Senior

The consensus of the better price guides shows a number one example, a rare car, topping out at just under $30,000 for a deluxe five window '35 coupe. Each drop in rating from #1 to #3 results in a one-third reduction each from the top number. This isn't to say that it is impossible to overspend on restoration. An often ignored fact about even the most amazing restoration is that, in the end, you still have an old car. When I sell, I'm usually pleased to recover the actual cost of the project, minus my own labor. If you watched the recent Barrett-Jackson auction on TV, you would see that splendid, professionally restored, often rare, cars either sold for a fraction of the level of earlier years, or failed to meet the reserve, and didn't sell at all, thanks to the poor economy.

trjford8
02-15-2013 @ 8:10 AM
Senior

What someone spent on a restoration has little relationship to the actual value of the car. The car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Check around the auction sites and see what a car in this same condition has actually sold for in the past year. This will give you a pretty good idea of the current value. If anyone is going to spend top dollar on a Ford V-8 they will want to know the history of the car and will want to know if it has been shown at a Ford V-8 National Meet. They will also want to know if it received any awards , such as a Dearborn award, etc.
Your car looks very nice in the photo, but it's tough to put a value on a car without actually seeing it in person.

stevenwham
02-16-2013 @ 5:59 AM

Thanks for all the comments and good ideas. Much appreciated. I suspect the restoration was overpriced because the gentleman who commissioned it allowed it to be so. Nevertheless, I expect someone will be happy to buy it at 25-30% of the documented restoration expense.

ford38v8
02-16-2013 @ 6:53 PM
Senior

Steve, I'd think that price would scare away some, but may draw an offer or two. Unless you're good at negotiating, and are willing to let it sit unsold for some time, you might consider a more realistic price. Just because 120k supposedly was spent on it doesn't make it a #1 condition car, which is what would be expected at the price. All the advice you've had from this thread is good, but in the end it's your decision on how to proceed.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN
02-18-2013 @ 4:15 PM
Senior

is that a BUSINESS COUPE, I did not see a step on the RR fender for a RUMBLE SEAT,
rumble seats bring more money then coupes with trunks.,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

oldford2
02-18-2013 @ 5:46 PM

I am a little confused. You say the previous owner spent $120k on restoring it but do not say how much you purchased it for. Then you say you have "no idea what it is worth"! I think you should have made this post before you bought it. So, how much did you pay for it?
John

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org