LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Engine Swap

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Engine Swap -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

drkbp
02-22-2013 @ 10:41 AM

dicky,

I have a '35 with a 21 stud that came with it and I am following this thread. I changed out a thermostat this morning and decided to check all the water temperatures out of curiosity and this discussion.

The stats I have in there are 160 degree and are called "standard". Checked them on the range wth a temp gage. Miss Happiness wanted to know what in the world I was doing cooking parts!

Mounted them back in the car and ran it for 30 minutes sitting in the drive. Temp stabilized at 155 degrees in the top tank (by thermometer). Fast idle I could get 165 degrees. Ambient is 70F.

I cleaned out the radiator and block last week with a water hose because I had the hoses off but used no flush or anything. I now know that 165 in the top tank is just a little below center of my dash gage "normal" range. So I learned what the gage says/means after all these years.

I do have a flat tube radiator but it has been in the car since 1975. I have a vented radiator cap, no pressure.

The NOS stat I put in this morning had the instructions still in the box. It recommended:
1. The "Standard Temperature" for use without a hot water heater or for use with hot water heater when alcohol is the anti-freeze.
2. The "High Temperature" is for use with a hot water heater when prestone or glycerine is the anti-freeze.
It also talked about "adjustable stats" and there is a pair on tbay but I've never used that kind.

I don't know what the High Temp is but it probably is the 180 degree. Super probably knows.

The bottom line is this car just does not run hot unless something is wrong. I surely don't have the only ice cold V8 in town and can't quite figure out why we hear so much about pressure systems etc., unless your radiator is no good. Model T guys throw water pumps, water wetter and everything else at them but all they need is a GOOD radiator. I just put a radiator on a brass '13 Ford. I know it's $$$ but there is no practical/real substitute.

I do want to say that this thread has helped me understand a lot more about other engine issues. There are so many pitfalls on the rebuilds and you fellows really impress me with your savy on this.

Ken in Texas

supereal
02-19-2013 @ 10:00 AM
Senior

Thanks, Tom. Cross threading is epidemic now that so many new cars and trucks have aluminum heads. Often we find that the threads are almost all gone because the person removing the plugs didn't reckon on a carbon ring on the combustion end of the plug, and turned the plugs out with some force. Some dealers insist on removing the heads for repair, or even replacing the very expensive heads. We invested in a special set of tools that allow us to install Heli-coils while the heads are in place. Most of us learned, some the hard way, that unless you can thread the plugs almost all the way down by your finders, it is likely they will be cross threaded, regardless of the vehicle. With today's plugs deeply recessed in the heads, it is difficult to achieve. Penetrating oil should be applied and allowed to soak, then the plugs should be worked out by turning them until resistance is felt, then running them in again, then out. This is particularly true of late model Fords.

TomO
02-19-2013 @ 7:18 AM
Senior

Bob,

I think that he did not have a good seal at the plug gasket. He said that some of the plug holes were cross-threaded. That would make it difficult to get the correct torque to compress the plug gasket. I hope that he has the spark plug hole checked for good threads and a good gasket surface.

I think what he is calling oil is a mixture of gas fumes and oil fumes that have bypassed the spark plug gasket.

I had a similar problem on a 1967 Comet after I took it in to a Ford Diagnostic Center in 1969. I was headed on a 7,000 mile vacation drive and wanted the car checked over. Ford used trainees at the Center, unknown to me at the time, and they cross-threaded one plug.

The engine started to make a terrible knocking noise as I drove into Denver. The plug had worked loose. There was all of this oily substance coating the valve covers and inner fender. The Lincoln Mercury dealer in Denver had to replace the head as it was under warranty.

Tom

dicky
02-18-2013 @ 6:10 PM

I want to again thank you all for your input. I am not able to look at my car this week. I do know that new head bolts were used on the rebuild. When I noticed that all the studs that came out helicoils, I did not notice how they were in the block. I will look this weekend.

supereal
02-18-2013 @ 10:29 AM
Senior

Right, Tom. I suggested it as Dicky said he was considering a 59A swap. I'm still mystified as to how oil could be leaking around the spark plugs, yet no exhaust smoke is seen. Bad rings or loose valve guides could allow oil into the cylinders, as you know, but show up as smoke and poor compression. It would take a lot of oil to be forced out at the plugs.

TomO
02-18-2013 @ 6:53 AM
Senior

Dicky,

I am concerned that the studs came out of the block when you tried to remove the nuts.

Did you use all new studs? This is the recommended procedure on a rebuild.

Are the Helicoils installed with the top of the coil 1/4 to 1/2 turn below the surface of the block? ( http://www.helicoil.com.sg/HeliCoil-Installation-Instructions.shtml )

Was the tang of the coil broken off when the coils were installed? (part of the installation procedure)

Did you install the studs so that the unthreaded portion was flush with the top of the block? (Makes sure that the studs have maximum threads in the block)

The head modifications the Supereal suggested are for 24 stud heads, not your 21 stud heads.

Do as Alan suggested about the thread sealer.

Tom

ford38v8
02-18-2013 @ 12:26 AM
Senior

Dicky, before reinstalling the studs, check with Permatex and/or Loctite for the correct sealer for use with helicoils. Tell them high temp, threadlock, sealer. Check also with Helicoil, as you may have the wrong helicoil in there if it continues to loosen up. Caution though, remember you might get a "tech" that's fresh out of high school.

Alan

dicky
02-17-2013 @ 7:09 PM

I did forget one thing. The studs that came out with the bnuts attached are the ones that had helicoils.

dicky
02-17-2013 @ 12:26 PM

Took my heads off this morning. 10 studs came out with the bolts attached to them. Looked at the cylinders and .060 is marked on the ones I looked at. Also one of the valves was a light tan while the others looked good with no discoloration at all(looked like new valves). I will take my heads to be looked at next week. Will let you know how they are.

This message was edited by dicky on 2-17-13 @ 12:26 PM

supereal
02-15-2013 @ 10:26 AM
Senior

Be sure to inspect the heads to see if they have been modified for better flow. With the heads on the bench, lying engine side up and the valve pockets at the top, the the center hole at the top should be 3/4" in diameter, and the middle hole should be 5/8". This is to bring the old style 41T heads to match the later 59A. The correct head gaskets have round holes in the middle, instead of he triangle openings of the old design. Early aluminum heads should also be checked for sufficient valve clearance.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org