LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 36' truck - rear brakes

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 36' truck - rear brakes

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
11-24-2012 @ 8:57 PM
Senior

Go online and pull up cgfordparts.com. They have dozens of very good books and manuals that will be indispensable for your project.

banjoQ
11-24-2012 @ 5:37 PM

You all have raised good points. I am aware of the importance of using the correct tool to remove the brake drum. Not surprisingly, I have been advised to reverse the castle nut and strike with a mallet. Also told about using a three or five legged puller that utilizes the wheel studs. Lucky for me I started my research early and learned about using the correct tool.
It's very possible that the wheel cylinders have failed and cannot retract. Although the truck was kept in a garage all these years, the garage is in S.F. Ca. Not the driest climate for long term storage.
Strokers info on the cam adjusters is very interesting. I will be going into the city tomorrow and will look for these. Maybe after setting them back I will be able to get some movement. Don't need much, just enough to get it out of there. Once home, I can begin doing a complete brake job on the truck. The original Holley carb has been rebuilt and is ready to re-install. Radiator seem OK so far. Are there any books or service manuals that can be recommended? Most of my experience is with 60s Chevrolets. This is uncharted territory for me.

Stroker
11-24-2012 @ 4:12 PM
Senior

Well, that additional information helps a lot! The backing plates have no inspection or adjustment holes. The hydraulic's instead have two large bolt-heads with springs
under the heads. These turn "snail cams" on the other side of the backing plate that limit the distance that the shoe can retract, thus adjusting the stroke of the wheel cylinder. If you turn the front bolt head on the left side counter-clockwise until it stops, it will release the front shoe on that side, move to the rear bolt and turn clockwise. On the right side, turn the front bolt clockwise, and the rear bolt counter-clockwise. Then open the bleeder screws, and the shoes MAY retract all the way. The same goes for the front brakes.

As Supereal has cautioned, beg, borrow or purchase a KRW puller for the rear hubs, NOT a puller that attaches to the wheel studs. Don't try to beat on the axle end to dislodge the hub. We used to do that, but back then, (1950's) a replacement axle could easily be sourced at the local salvage yard.

I'd guess that the shoes may have simply "stuck" to the drums, Once you release the
parking brake and back off the adjusters I would also guess that pulling the truck
a few feet will break them loose.

CharlieStephens
11-24-2012 @ 4:08 PM
Senior

You have now added something else to the equation. With hydraulic brakes there is the possibility that the wheel cylinders are rusty and when someone pushed the brake pedal the shoes were forced into the drums where they remain since the rested wheel cylinders will not retract. Can you get a backing plate to study how the adjustments should be made to retract the shoes? There is a pin prick on the bottom adjuster (assuming they are early forties not late forties) to show the maximum retracted position of the shoes.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-24-12 @ 4:09 PM

banjoQ
11-24-2012 @ 3:40 PM

I think I should provide a little history on this truck. This was assembled around 52' by my father in-law and a couple of friends. Come to find out it is a Heinz 57 of a truck. Already has juice brakes (early forties I am told). Has an 8BA flathead from around 50'. Our fathers were building these for a few hundred bucks back then, and working them hard.
I thought about backing off on the adjusters, come to find the backing plates have no inspection holes. Although the truck has been stored in a garage, I too think that the brake mechanisms are going to be rusted badly. I intend to replace the wheel cylinders, springs, clips and retainers and possibly the shoes. I just want to avoid possibly damaging the drum pulling it off the hard way.
I have the truck on dollies right now to move it around. Seems the building has changed configuration in the last forty years. There is no longer a door nearby to pull it out through. Not sure I want to try and pull it on a flatbed with them though. I will keep trying, Thanks for the tips, keep you all posted.

CharlieStephens
11-24-2012 @ 2:24 PM
Senior

What about car dollies under the rear wheels and winching it onto a flatbed? Once it is home you can be more patient and careful when you work on it.

Charlie Stephens

supereal
11-24-2012 @ 2:21 PM
Senior

You will need to back off the adjusters on each wheel, and uncouple the brake rods. Work the brake shoe arms to see if you can loosen the cams that extend the shoes. After than many years, it is likely the entire braking system inside the drum is rusted badly, and the shoes are bonded to the drums, so keep trying. If you are lucky enough to get the drum loose enough to rotate it,using the correct puller may get the hubs and drums off the axle. If you just need to tow the truck, once you get the wheels so they will turn, you can choose a better time to remove the hubs and drums. The proper puller is the Winfield Tool Works KRW puller. It secures to the groove in the hub. Any other kind of puller is likely to damage the drums, which are very hard to find, and expensive if you do. Good luck with your project, Quentin. The members here will always be glad to assist you as needed. If you haven't already, be sure to join our Club.

banjoQ
11-24-2012 @ 11:07 AM

Greetings to all members, this is my first post on this forum. My name is Quentin and I am trying to bring a 36 pickup back to life after a 47 year sleep. This truck was driven into a garage and parked, with the E brake set quite hard. My problem is, I cannot release the brake shoes inside the hub. The brake handle has been released and I have gone underneath and pulled the cables in an effort to release the brake. Tried rocking the vehicle back and forth, no luck. Anything I am missing? I hate to put a hub puller on and destroy brake parts getting it off. There is also a possibility the hub will have a ridge, making the removal difficult. I need to get this thing rolling before it can be towed home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Q

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org