LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / View the engine number

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: View the engine number

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

DEAN333
11-01-2012 @ 8:32 AM

What is the easiest way to view the engine number stamped on the trans case of my 36 Fordor? From underneath with a mirror? Thru an opening in the floor?

Thanks Guys

TIM CARLIG

supereal
11-01-2012 @ 10:22 AM
Senior

You will have to remove the floor board to see the top of the transmission clutch housing where the number is usually stamped. It is unlikely that the number, if it is there, will mean much, as the transmission is seldom original to the car. There is no "engine number", as such, and would be the same as the number stamped on the frame, which is just a production serial number.

CharlieStephens
11-01-2012 @ 11:26 AM
Senior

It is also unlikely that the DMV would want to use this number to register the car for the reasons supereal mentioned. The car is registered with the frame number stamped into the top of the left frame rail usually near the steering box. Did you have another reason to want to view the number?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-1-12 @ 11:26 AM

DEAN333
11-01-2012 @ 5:13 PM

Yes Charlie. I was told this was a "numbers matching," "original" car when I picked it up in June. I have since discovered it has a 41 intake manifold and distributor as well as a two brush generator with regulator. I finally found the correct intake manifold at a swap meet last week and also purchased the correct distributor. Just curious if the number stamped on the trans matches the number on the frame.

TIM CARLIG

CharlieStephens
11-01-2012 @ 5:38 PM
Senior

Tim,

I wonder if they thought "numbers matching" meant the numbers matched the registration paperwork? I think you are about to find out. If it was me and I didn't intend to show the car I would leave the 2 brush generator on there with a dummy cut on top of it at least until it gave me a problem. It would be nice to have the correct generator on the shelf in case you or the next person to own the car wants it.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-1-12 @ 5:52 PM

ford38v8
11-01-2012 @ 7:03 PM
Senior

Dean, Numbers matching is really a term that applies more to muscle cars, and not early Fords. The only numbers to matc h in your car is the frame and transmission, and of course the title, as Charlie mentioned.

Many if not most of us have bought cars having many issues like yours, and have enjoyed the slow but steady fun of finding the right stuff at swap meets. To assist you in know what to look for, I'd strongly suggest this mandatory reading: Get the '35 - '36 Ford Book, available from many sources, as well as right here on the EFV8CA website:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/store-product-item.cfm?id=18&pid=2

Alan

drkbp
11-01-2012 @ 7:29 PM

Tim,

As I recall, the number appears several times down the left rail but the only one easy (because of the body) to see is near the sector. I found that my numbers matched after I had rebuilt the wrong transmission. Took it out and put the original in. Not a big thing but kept it all together.

It just happened that the car and trans numbers matched my title. I did call Ford in Detroit in the middle 70's. I believe the telephone number was in the V8 club magazine. The archive record fellow told me to just give him the number because he wanted to tell me what the body style was. I did and he told me it was a Cabriolet and was built in a group with 17 other cabriolets and 18 roadsters. He said he marked me as existing.

Has anyone else called Ford or do they still do that? He knew what he was talking about. I have front firewall supports that are not standard for an open car and he knew it. Just trivia but interesting none the less.

Ken in Texas

DEAN333
11-01-2012 @ 7:34 PM

Alan, I do have the 35-36 book. Great source of info as you know.

TIM CARLIG

CharlieStephens
11-01-2012 @ 8:09 PM
Senior

Quote:

Tim,

As I recall, the number appears several times down the left rail but the only one easy (because of the body) to see is near the sector. I found that my numbers matched after I had rebuilt the wrong transmission. Took it out and put the original in. Not a big thing but kept it all together.

It just happened that the car and trans numbers matched my title. I did call Ford in Detroit in the middle 70's. I believe the telephone number was in the V8 club magazine. The archive record fellow told me to just give him the number because he wanted to tell me what the body style was. I did and he told me it was a Cabriolet and was built in a group with 17 other cabriolets and 18 roadsters. He said he marked me as existing.

Has anyone else called Ford or do they still do that? He knew what he was talking about. I have front firewall supports that are not standard for an open car and he knew it. Just trivia but interesting none the less.

Ken in Texas
**************************************************************************************************************

Ken,

I sure wish you had kept the number you called! As far as I know the engines were all assembled along with the transmission, inspected and serial numbered. The assemblies were then shipped without recording the number to the various vehicle assembly plants. The body number on the firewall might have given more information.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-1-12 @ 8:12 PM

drkbp
11-02-2012 @ 6:42 AM

Charlie,

Not to hijack the thread....
I was a member of the V8 club in the 70's and must have picked up the contact number from one of the articles in the magazine. I don't throw anything away so I probably have the mags somewhere but that is more than 35 years ago. The thing that impressed me about that contact was that he had access to records that gave him body style from the serial number. At the time, it just confirmed to me that my car was always a car and not bits and pieces put together. The Benson Ford archives may very well still have the record.

Ford kept a record from T days and earlier of the serial number body style and so on. For instance, I have a Model T that was built on Thursday, July 17, 1913. The transmission was assembled on the previous Friday July 11th. Pontiac made the body and Dodge Brothers made all the running gear.

In 1925, Ford began to take the number on the engine assembly (block) and hand stamp the frame on the assembly line. Stamped on the frame rail just like the V8. The engine and transmissions were a unit before they reached assembly line to be made into a car since the beginning. Probaly pictures of the V8 line show that clearly also.

Ford had numbered the block on the engine assembly unit all through Model T and A. So the change came with B18. They apparently decided to number the transmission housing instead of the block. The frame number was to match the transmission number, not the other way around. I say that because Ford had done it that way for thirty years before V8.

There was a problem Ford had for years and it was what happens when a block is replaced? Ford furnished unnumbered blocks and the dealer had instructions to renumber with the old number. Blank blocks are still around. The trans could be replaced too so why that? I don't know.

Anyway, the question he had for me on that call years ago was what front firewall supports did I have on my car. Short and he knew it and why! So as I often say, It wasn't a pigment of my imagination! <grin> He had the record.

Ken in Texas

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org