LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Operating Temperature

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Operating Temperature

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

mdurhan
09-03-2012 @ 11:45 AM

Now, THIS is a valuable and beneficial thread on the EFV8 forum. Very, very helpful. "Much-o Grassy-Us". Mike

"Son, if you want to live to be as old as me.... then don't fool around with electricty nor married women." - Ol' Man Clayton Boggess, Arcadia, Florida

daoust
09-01-2012 @ 9:30 AM

Had the radiator re-cored . Re-installed it today. Running 50/50 mix. Took her for a good run after installing and temp never got over 160.

Hopefully problem solved.

David Daoust

42guy
08-20-2012 @ 4:29 PM

I use 160 stats with 50/50 dist. water and Sierra(sp) anti freeze. Normal running temp with after market guages is 165. Going up a long hill which we have plenty of in the n Northeast, it may go to 180 and drops back to 165 when she levels out on the flats. I am using Speedway pumps for several years only because I didn't have 2 good cores to send to Skip.

Stroker
08-20-2012 @ 1:39 PM
Senior

In addition to the excellent advice already given, I'd use only distilled water as a basis for
your coolant of choice. It doesn't take much lime in "ditch water" to quickly affect the heat transfer ability of your radiator or block. I have used distilled water since the late 50's, and can vouch for the difference it makes in lime build up, as well as greatly reduced electrolysis on aluminum head/iron block combinations. It's not that expensive, and in my humble opinion it is well worth the trouble.

daoust
08-20-2012 @ 12:53 PM

Thanks Supereal. I dont think the engine in mine is the problem either. I think I might be investing in a brand new radiator. I'm tired of driving around glancing at the temp gauge every few seconds.

David Daoust

supereal
08-20-2012 @ 12:19 PM
Senior

I, too, have a '47 convertible. When I bought it, the seller claimed that "the radiator had been rebuilt". However, you couldn't drive around the block before the gauge went almost all the way to the hot side.I did all the usual checks for head gaskets, block cracks, etc, and found that the radiator was the problem. I installed a new one and, even with the old style pumps, I can run in traffic on 100 degree days, and the gauge never goes far above the middle. On the hiway, it stays in the center. I use 160 degree thermostats, as well. A partially plugged radiator not only fails to cool properly, but the restricted flow will cause the top tank to overfill, hastening the loss of coolant, even with a good 4# cap. I've chased overheating for half a century in old cars, and found such problems as dragging brakes due to a bad master cylinder, the wrong belt that slips in the pulleys, etc. The "bottom line" is that a coat of lime in the radiator or block no thicker than a coat of paint can reduce efficiency by 20-40%. All the boiling and rodding of the core will not remove it all. When you add in the lesser efficiency of antifreeze, the result is more problems. Try running just water with some anti rust. Many advise "water wetter", but I've never seen much, if any, change.

Dale Fairfax
08-20-2012 @ 9:36 AM

There are several things at play here: Is your ignition timing where it should be? Too far retarded will make it run hot. Are you running a pressure cap? One that doesn't seat or of too low a capacity will cause you to lose coolant. It sounds like on your outbound leg the 190+ temp might have pushed coolant out to the point where you were low. On the return leg the lower coolant level would have contributed to even higher temperatures. Has your engine ever been apart? If it's original to the car and has never been rebuilt, chances are the water jacket is full of corrosion and foundry sand. Some folks have had success with a vinegar flush (in the car with lower hoses off and uppers disconnected from radiator).

daoust
08-20-2012 @ 9:29 AM

Yes, we had the heads off this spring and it looked good.

David Daoust

doning
08-20-2012 @ 9:11 AM

On my '37, I'm running 160 deg. stats with a rodded out radiator and ( knock-on-wood ) my temp gauge stays right at 165. Doesn't manner if it's 65 or 95 deg's. outside. When I'm stopped at a light it'll start moving up but cools right down when I start driving again. Your block good and clean inside?

daoust
08-20-2012 @ 6:46 AM

I have a '47 Ford convertible. Original flathead V8. I drove it about 75 miles each way from NH to Boston yesterday. I have after-market dual temp gauges installed. I had Skip Haney recondition the water pumps this spring. I'm running a 50/50 coolant mix.

On the way down (leaving at 8:00 AM) she ran in the 190-210 degree range. The right side always seems run about 5 degrees hotter than the left. On the way back (at about 2:00 PM) she ran hotter; slowing climbing to almost 230 degrees by the time I got home. The ambient outdoor temp never got out of the 70s. When I got home, I let her cool and she took about a gallon of water to refill the system.

I had some over-heating issues last year. I had the radiator "rodded" and that seemed to help. I have a series of questions:

What should be the correct operating temp?

I'm thinking about have the radiator "re-cored." Will that help?

Is there anything else I can do to get her to run a bit cooler? I'd like to drive it without constantly worrying about overheating.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

David Daoust

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org