LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Can't get the engine running on my '50 8BA

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Can't get the engine running on my '50 8BA -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

hitman912
12-25-2009 @ 11:25 AM

Well today I tried to get it started for my Christmas present to myself and it just wouldn't. It had been sitting for about two years, but the owner said it ran when garaged. He's an honest guy, everything else has been true. So I rebuilt the carb, got a new battery, new plugs, drained the old fuel and oil, put new fuel and oil, new oil filter, and a new fuel filter. Everything else looks good, although I'm worried about the fuel pump because I didn't see anything go through the filter. The engine cranks, but no gas was getting there. So I put a little in the carb and it wanted to start....I heard the pipes for a second but then nothing. Is there something I should be doing? My dad said put more gas in the tank and/or recharge the battery before seeing if I need a new fuel pump. Thanks.

carguy
12-25-2009 @ 5:32 PM

I chased this starting problem quite a while before I finally got it sorted out. My problem was that I wasn't getting fuel to the carb. My 3rd new fuel pump finally solved the problem.

Since you got it to fire by putting fuel down the carb I am assuming that you do have a decent spark. I would try, after getting your battery fully charged, to again slowly pour fuel into the top of the carb and try to keep it running by doing this for at least 10 seconds. This process seems, for me, to be best accomplished with 2 people. The idea of getting it to run for a while is to get fuel from the tsnk to the pump - better done with the engine running than just cranking.

Smarter folks than I will hopefully have other suggestions. Good luck & Merry Christmas anyway.

51f1
12-26-2009 @ 6:01 AM
Senior

I'd remove the plugs and crank it. That'll get oil to everything without too much load on the bearings. If your pump isn't working by that time, I'd repair or replace it, assuming that the line from the tank is clear.

You can remove both lines from the pump and put your finger over the pump inlet and/or outlet to see if it is producing any vacuum or pressure, while cranking, of course. If it is, you might have a clogged line from the tank to the pump. Disconnect the fuel line at the tank and pump and blow some air through it. Make sure the tank outlet is not plugged.

Richard

Pauls39
12-26-2009 @ 8:18 AM

Take the top off the fuel pump and fill it with fresh gas. Install a new gasket when you replace the top. I would also check the float level in the carb and besure the needle valve is not sticking st the inlet.
Be darn carful with all that gasoline. Fire has a way of makig a bad day a whole lot worse! Keep an extinguisher handy while you are doing all this.

supereal
12-26-2009 @ 9:48 AM
Senior

Most cars that have sat for that long have a lot of junk in the gas tank from evaporated gas, etc. The pickup tube may be plugged. Unhook the line from the fuel pump at the carb, and place the end in a container. Inject compressed air into the fuel tank, using a rag as a gasket. You should see a steady stream of fuel in the container. If not, try blowing air from the front to the tank to see if it will clear any blockage. I'd replace the fuel pump, anyway, as it is likely the diaphragm is broken and/or the valves no long seat. All old cars need an accessible inline fuel filter to catch debris.

TomO
12-26-2009 @ 10:54 AM
Senior

Your 50 should have a sediment bowl on the fuel pump. This bowl should fill with gas when cranking the engine. It should take about 60 seconds of cranking in 15 second bursts with 1 minute between bursts to fill the sediment bowl and the carburetor.

I would hook a vacuum gauge to the input of the flex line and crank the engine. You should have at least 10 inches of vacuum and it should not fall to zero in less than one minute.

If you do not have the correct vacuum, move the gauge to the input of the fuel pump and try again. If there is still not the correct vacuum, replace the sediment bowl gasket with a new alcohol resistant gasket and try again. If this does not fix the problem replace the fuel pump. C&G and NAPA both sell good pumps. Correct vacuum here and not at the input of the flex line means the line is bad.

If you have correct vacuum and are still not getting gas, your problem could be a plugged pick up, plugged gas line or a gas line that is loose at the tank connection.

Tom

35ford
12-26-2009 @ 1:54 PM

I have had this problem. Now I leave the nuts off the fuel pump stand and turn the engine until the pump or Push rod is at the highest point and then connect the fuel line to the inlet and put the outlet into a container (Carb line) and push the stand and pump down several times which should prime the pump and also verify that it is clear and working. saves battery and wondering what is or is not working in the fuel system. Just my suggestion! Works for me. kc

hitman912
12-26-2009 @ 5:22 PM

Thanks a lot for the repsonses guys. I will try some of these remedies tomorrow and post back.

37RAGTOPMAN
12-27-2009 @ 8:18 AM
Senior

hi
if you had a plastic outboard motor gas tank, you could use the squeeze bulb on the line that goes to the carb and see if it will pull the fuel though the fuel pump and the tank, and see what the fuel looks like,you will have to disconnect it from the plastic tank for testing purposes,and have some spare 1/4 rubber gas hose,
have a clear bottle so you can see the gas,examine it closely,
this device is a great thing to have around, you could also use the plastic tank to hold 5 gals of gas so you could find out exactly what your problem lies so you could repair the problem,by not using the cars gas tank and fuel lines,,just yet, once you get it running you can make certain repairs to make it run with the cars fuel system,
these tanks are availible places like CABELA'S for around $35.00 and it might be the best money you ever spent,
IF YOU WANTED to see if it runs with the fuel pump carb. etc,,hook a metal fuel line in the inlet of the fuel pump and clamp a rubber line to that and put the tank next to the car for testing,and a line going to the plastic tank,this way you are not using the cars fuel tank, just to see whats the problem, with out replacing everything, try to zero in whats the problem
let hear how you made out,,,,hope this helps,
37RAGTOPMAN

supereal
12-27-2009 @ 9:38 AM
Senior

I'd pull the top off the carb first, to verify that there is liquid in the bowl. Second, to determine what that liquid actually is. It could be good fuel or contaminated water, etc, from the tank. If there is no liquid, then work back as earlier advised to see where the problem is. We see lots of bad fuel today. Some has diesel in in, some has water, and the line is frozen. If the carb, itself, hasn't been removed and properly cleaned, it is doubtful you will get the thing started. We always try a couple of squirts down the carb to see if the engine will catch. If it doesn't try, you have more than a fuel problem.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org