LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1939 Cowl, Dashboard, Rear Fenders, Running Boards

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1939 Cowl, Dashboard, Rear Fenders, Running Boards

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

wmsteed
12-23-2009 @ 8:58 AM
Senior

A little over two years ago I found a '31 Plym complete chassis with the cowl forward sheet metal in place. The body had been cut away to mount a wood saw on the chassis. The unit was in running condition needing tires, drive shaft and some TLC.
Suggestions were made by several people to build up a wooden body for the car or convert it into a speedster. The speedster idea was interesting because the '31 PA's had the Chrysler 4 cyln. which put out 69 hp in stock form.
Since ChryCo VIN's are tractable back to '31, I knew the value of the car would be low if I bastardized the car since the VIN identified the car as being a 2 dr sdn. What to do????
I made some postings to the internet under the topic.. '31 Plym PA, can it be saved.
Within six months I had a good '31 PA 2dr sdn body and within three more months I had a complete set of fenders, wheels and tires. The tires were donated by a guy that felt his '31 PA needed new tires so he gave me the old tires.
I now have a complete car only needing assembly and some TLC.
On the money end of the project, I am into the thing less than $1,500.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

stovebolt
12-22-2009 @ 12:31 PM

Thank you all for enlightening me about the huge amount of unique parts. It sounds like the smart thing to do, as was suggested, is to find the best, most complete woodie that I could afford and forget about rebodying a sedan chassis. Joe.

supereal
12-22-2009 @ 9:20 AM
Senior

Anyone who undertakes a project to restore an open car, or woodie, should be prepared for an extensive (and expensive) search for parts, as these limited production cars share little with their closed brethren. I literally spent years on my convertible to get it to the place it is today, and when I did find parts, they were usually very pricey. I admire those that can produce a show quality car, as I know what they went through to get there..

Stroker
12-22-2009 @ 5:35 AM
Senior

Like 42, I keep thinking of more and more unique wagon details. The front seat back has
a fabric covered metal reinforcement that screws to the wooden door post, and also provides for the spare tire mount. There are some additional frame brackets, plus the rear floor and inner fender panels are riveted together. In addition, the rear floor pan has 8 receptacles including 4 spring latches for the malleable "legs" on the removable rear seats. I'm not sure about the top of the cowl, I know it is hollow to allow the wooden header to socket-in, which is retained by a row of screws on the inside. I've never looked closely at a convertible or phaeton cowl top, but just assumed that there was a metal cap piece that filled the opening and provided for the top latches. In short, about the only parts they share are the front sheet metal, basic frame design, engine and running gear. The rear spring also has additional leaves w/longer U-bolts.

42wagon
12-22-2009 @ 3:32 AM
Senior

Not mentioned by the other guys but you also will need the floorpan, which is unique to the wagons, and all three seats. The front seat frames maybe common but the rear seats certainly are wagon only.

I would also question the ability to use a convertible cowl. The pictures I have seen appear to have an all metal window frame top rail to which the convertible top attaches. The wagon has an open top rail to receive a big chunk of wood that forms the front of the roof.
Ted

ford38v8
12-21-2009 @ 9:30 PM
Senior

The open and wagon dash also differs at the outer ends, as it kicks up to form the bottom section of the windshield trim. The rear fender also has an inner fender that is unique to the wagons.

Alan

Stroker
12-21-2009 @ 3:37 PM
Senior

The cowl is the same, the dash of course as you stated lacks the window crank-out, plus there is a provision for the w/s/w motor, which lives under the dash instead of the header. Running boards are the same, but the rear fenders are unique, as they screw to the wood rails, and of course do not have any
"tumble-home" to match the steel bodies.

I have a 38 wagon, which shares the wood with a 39. I think it is possible build one if you could find an open car cowl, and the rarest of rare: rear fenders. The biggest challenge will be all the unique
malleable iron fittings, door latches, front window regulators, hinges, window pulls and latches window tracks, tail-gate hardware etc. Case in point: you can purchase a new rear window frame for a 38-39 via various suppliers, but the frame alone costs $700.00. Similar to Tie Rods dilemma, I believe the best course of action would be to find a 38 or 39 that had really bad wood, and have someone like Wooden Carr (out of California) supply you with the replacement wood. Be prepared to spend more money than the
car will ultimately be worth, despite the mind-boggling prices fetched for Nick's collection. When it comes to woodies, buy the best car you can afford, because everything is hard to find, and very expen$ive. The're out there, join the National Woodie Club, and start networking with those members as well.

stovebolt
12-21-2009 @ 2:41 PM

Is the 1939 De Luxe Station Wagon cowl & windshield unique or is it the same as the other open cars such as the convertible coupe & convertible sedan? Is the Tudor De Luxe dashboard the same as the De luxe Station Wagon dashboard (aside from the windshield crank handle)? Are the Station Wagon rear fenders and running boards unique to the Station Wagon? Thanks for any help provided. Joe.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org