LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Automobile Appraisal how/who

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Automobile Appraisal how/who

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

nelsb01
06-05-2012 @ 9:51 AM
Senior

Don't want to sound like a commercial here, but we have a very good vehicle appraiser right in our own Club. I would suggest you reference the March April 2012 issue of the V-8 TIMES. Page 107.
Might answer some of your questions if you contacted him.

TomO
06-04-2012 @ 8:12 AM
Senior

Steve,

There is an organization that qualified appraisers belong to called the American Society of Appraisers. Most insurance companies require an appraiser to belong to it or a similar organization.

Some appraisers specialize in appraising a car for insurance purposes, others in damage assessment and others in pre-purchase inspections.

The best advice I can give you to help select an appraiser that will give you the information that you need is ask for samples of his work and references. Most appraisers state that determining a value is an art not a science. In the fine print you will see a statement that says this report is the opinion of the appraiser on the specified date and location of the appraisal.

I was looking at a car that was 1,000 miles away and the owner provided photos showed a car that would be a high Old Cars Price guide of 3 or a low 2. I contacted 5 appraisers before I found one that was qualified to look at the car and give me an accurate description.

He supplied me with 150 photos of the car and a 2 page report describing all of the photos. He uploaded the photos while he was close to the car, in case I needed a better photo of an area or a photo of an area that I felt would better define the car. His photos showed the car to be of slightly lower quality than the seller had represented, more like a solid to low number 3.

I think that I was lucky in finding this guy after only checking out 5.

Tom

trjford8
06-03-2012 @ 6:52 PM
Senior

Steve, appraisers can "appraise" a car , but that does not mean they know what to look for on a specific car when they are hired by a buyer. They are like an "all purpose spray gun". It will spray paint , but not good for specific types of paint.
If you are looking for a specific type or make of car seek out someone who knows about those cars. Pay the person to go with you to look at the car before you buy it. This will not cost you anymore than an appraisal and you will get expert advice from a person who is familiar with that type of car.
If you are a buyer you want that experience to be positive when you buy the car. Never buy a car without looking at it yourself and if you are new to the hobby always have a second opinion. A small investment in hiring a knowledgeable person can save you thousands of dollars down the road.

CharlieStephens
06-03-2012 @ 5:59 PM
Senior

Steve,

Have you ever read the "Old Cars Price Guide"? I wouldn't depend on it to buy or sell a car but it is probably a good first cut.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 6-3-12 @ 6:07 PM

ford38v8
06-03-2012 @ 1:04 PM
Senior

As others have advised, an appraiser is of little use to you unless your only consideration was the price you might pay for a car. Appraisers are not going to advise on how accurate a restoration is, what it would take to restore a car or know what your skills are to do so. They advise only on a monetary value, and actually specialize in insurance value, and in that way are useful to collectors.

No wish list you could think of could substitute for your actually being there to see what you are buying. If you aren't thoroughly schooled in what you can expect to see, enlist someone to go with you, or get hold of a local club where the car is located and hope to find someone there you can count on to advise of the condition and negotiate in your stead.

In gaining the experience you need to determine what to look for in a car, you will get a handle on what to pay for a car in various states of repair. A very rare car in poor shape, you will find, is worth much less than a common car in Dearborn condition, and conversely, many Touring CLass cars are worth more than a Dearborn car. Value is dependent on many factors, and someone else's value is not your value.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 6-3-12 @ 1:15 PM

alanwoodieman
06-03-2012 @ 10:53 AM
Senior

I paid for a professional appraisal from a national company and when I received the car it was not what the appraiser said it was, If I wanted to do something like this again, I would spend the money to go see the car unless I could get a local club member to go look at it with a list of questions from me. sort of a wish list

supereal
06-03-2012 @ 10:06 AM
Senior

Appraisals are probably not worth the cost unless you have a Rolls, Ferrari, etc. Determining value of a vehicle is never definitive, as the actual value is when the car changes hands between two willing parties. Auctions, such as Barrett-Jackson have little or no meaning to the old car hobby at large. Those cars are professionally groomed for the sale, which caters to the well heeled. There are several price guides, such as Old Cars Weekly, and others, and a good summmary of actual sales by Hagerty Insurance Company. At present, the old car hobby is suffering from the weak economy, and sales tend to reflect the need of sellers to raise cash. The best advice is to wait until the market recovers, unless you are a buyer. Old cars should always be purchased for the fun of using them. Most experienced in the hobby know that old cars are seldom a monetary investment. If you are a newcomer to the hobby, and a Club member, use your member roster and enlist the opinion of someone who has been thru the process.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-3-12 @ 10:08 AM

steve-cook
06-03-2012 @ 9:41 AM

I currently reside in Raleigh NC (added to profile).

My question was more general question for example, If I were interested in a car in California and wanted an accurate appraisal of the cars value for purchase what professional organization would be the best organization to contact.

Appraisal could be quite subjective. Some people are looking to increase their insurance value some are looking to purchase a vehicle. Is it all original or a historic hot rod or a street rod how is the real value put on a car.

I see some cars on Barrett Jackson that are very nice but am amazed what they are selling for xxx,xxx then I see some on the internet that appear as nice or nicer with a much lower asking price I seem to have a hard time putting a price on my own car I guess the true value is what someone will pay lately that seems to be very little when I am selling and much higher when I look to purchase.

Anyway I am wondering is there a organization that tries to corral some of the values in some reasonable way or are values on cars like a poker match and it just depends on who flinches first.

CharlieStephens
06-03-2012 @ 9:00 AM
Senior

Steve,

You should add your general location to your profile and also to your post (in a case like this post where this information is necessary for a response). If someone knows a good appraiser they probably won't spend the time looking up their phone number since you probably don't live close and it would just be a waste of time. If you live in California an appraiser in Florida won't be useful. What do you need the appraisal for? There are price books out there that will work in some situations but not be accurate enough for others.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 6-3-12 @ 9:01 AM

steve-cook
06-03-2012 @ 7:34 AM

Has anyone ever had an appraisal performed how did you know the person performing the appraisal was legitimate is there a professional organization that someones credentials can be verified

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org