LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Engine with low vacuum

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Engine with low vacuum -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

40cpe
03-03-2012 @ 11:14 AM

Any updates on this engine problem?

shogun1940
02-22-2012 @ 5:55 PM

do you know how to do a cylinder leak down test?? put each cyl. on top dead center then pump shop air in. if you have a guage set up your allowed 10%, if you do not have a guage listen to where the air leaks out. oil fil= rings, intake valve leaks out the carb, ex. valve the exhaust, bubles in the rad. cracks or gaskets. I still question the sudden stopage of the enghine maybe which could twist the cam but we donot know what happened in the crash

Pauls39
02-22-2012 @ 4:59 PM

Lee, I don't know which type of cam you have in your engine, but many early V-8s used a pressed on cam gear. You need to check the mark on the cam as it relates to the cam gear.
Your cam and crank may still be in alignment, but the cam itself may have slipped inside the cam gear.

Stroker
02-22-2012 @ 12:32 PM
Senior

Lee:

I believe the carburetor balancing device you described is probably a Uni-Syn. I don't believe it is necessary for you to need them to set your dual Strombergs. They were absolutely necessary to balance the "constant velocity" or "constant depression" variable venturi carbs used on many foreign makes, such as SU's, Solex's, Mukuni's etc.

For your Stromberg carbs, basically all you need to do is make sure they are opening exactly
the same. Start by backing-off the idle speed screws so the throttle plates are completely
closed, and verify that by observation through the air horn. Adjust the throttle linkage so
that they "crack" open simultaneously. Now go back and set your idle speed screws to provide the same opening for both. You stated early-on that the motor idles fine, but you can tweak
the mixture screws by ear, or vacuum gage connected to the appropriate carb base.

I don't believe your lack of vacuum is related to your manifold or carb adjustments. You
cannot have good vacuum without good compression. True, a radical cam grind will kill both
at low speeds, but unless you are running something like an Isky 404, or Potvin Eliminator,
that shouldn't be the case. If your compression readings are severely low, you either have
very poor cylinder sealing, or a badly out of time cam.

I'm kind of running out of ideas here; but let me pose a couple of hypothetical questions. When the car was wrecked, your description stated front-end damage. Is it possible that the engine continued running (or was driven)after the accident? Is it also possible that due to loss of coolant, the engine severely overheated? Doesn't take too long to take all the temper out of the rings under these conditions, which might explain the low compression. I know I'm "grasping at straws", but I think we have to trace the problem back to the "event".

supereal
02-22-2012 @ 10:40 AM
Senior

If you haven't solved your low compression problem, it is likely that all the fiddling with the carbs won't help. The formula for determining carb size is as follows: engine cubic inches X highest RPM divided by 3,456= cubic feet per minute air. Thus, a flathead of 239 ci x 2,500 rpm div. by 3,456 equals a cfm of 173. Dual stock carbs will furnish a capacity of 692 cfm, far in excess of the capacity necessary for operable vacuum. As said earlier, I find it hard to believe that your engine ever ran well, if at all.

TomO
02-22-2012 @ 10:33 AM
Senior

Your low vacuum reading is probably not the problem with the car not being able to accelerate.

With your manifold, you are only reading vacuum from half of the cylinders. You have low compression and likely have a performance camshaft.

If you are using a stock distributor, your vacuum brake will be active all the time. This will make your timing retarded when you start to accelerate. Have your distributor set up on a distributor machine and set the vacuum brake so that you have 32 degrees advance with 1" of vacuum.

Maybe Stroker can help on the balancing of the carburetors. I am not familiar with the Edelbrock Super manifold. You could also check with Edelbrock about the distributor set up.

http://www.edelbrock.com/

Tom

LTim1947
02-21-2012 @ 4:59 PM

TomO
Well I went back in and took off everything.
The timing gear cover is perfect,no cracks,etc
The timing marks line up at TDC on cyl 1.
The timing gear and crank gear are like new and have no missing teeth or chips. They look perfect.
The plug wires go to their proper plugs.
I took the dist down to its simplest component. The counter weights work like they should and the springs are fine.
The intake manifold is flat,starter spray did not cause any response. The float bowls are full of gas,the accelerator pump squirts gas into the throat.
I have ordered a new timing gear gasket to reassemble these parts.
I have had a friend who give me two carb top balance gauges.They have a glass vertical cylinder with a red ball in the cylinder. The throat is adjustable. How ever he has never used them and dosent know how to use them. Neither do I. What do adjust and for what are you adjusting. The only adjustment on the carb is the idle screws,is this what you adjust to achive a balance of the two red balls?
I wont get my parts until next week. Mac says the are swamped with orders and are hiring. So for now Im off working on other parts of the restoratiion. Get back to me on these calibrators if you can.
The intake manifold is a eddelrbrock super and as such it precludes me fron blocking off one carb as each carb feeds four cylinders. This is just more data about my low vac problem, Wnen I get this put back togther next week I'll see where I am then. Thanks Lee

LJT

supereal
02-18-2012 @ 7:01 PM
Senior

True, but that wasn't the point of my example. I have seen damaged fiber timing gears skip, but if the coliision jammed the crank pulley, a sheared key is possible when the inertia of the crank twisted it, allowing the crank gear to move. We see those on modern cars when we have a timing problem. A partially sheared key throws the crank position sensor off. A vacuum leak would not account for the low compression reported.

This message was edited by supereal on 2-18-12 @ 7:03 PM

shogun1940
02-18-2012 @ 6:43 PM

you can check for a vacuum leak by using a propane or acetlene torch UNLIT any where a leak may occur. Your compression sounds low on a good eng.,, usually low compression across the board is timing , cam to crank.,. chains and sprockets jump but gears do not , that leaves twisting,,are you sure the timing is correct???????

TomO
02-18-2012 @ 7:52 AM
Senior

Lee, while you have the cover off, check the crank gear for wear. I have seen them where the front of the gear looks OK but there is quite a bit of crank movement before the cam gear moves.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org