LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Fuel tank: in or out

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Fuel tank: in or out

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Arts40
02-08-2012 @ 8:07 AM

Newbies here, 3rd owners of a '40 Convertible, nearly intact, w ~23K miles. Last driven in the '70s (Vermont) garaged since. Beginning project focusing on preservation, w. minimal restoration to engine, brakes, and steering to make it (locally) roadworthy. Forum postings persuade me to go w. orig'l tank if possible, so am seeking wisdom on best practices for inspecting, cleaning and sealing the tank in place. (There's some old gas in it, no apparent leakage, no external damage or serious rust)

TomO
02-08-2012 @ 9:50 AM
Senior

Congratulations on finding a survivor.

IMHO it is almost impossible to clean and seal a gas tank with it in the car. You can inspect some of the internal surfaces by removing the sending unit and shining a flashlight into the tank after draining the tank.

If you have gas from the 70's in the tank, you should drain it, remove the tank from the car and have it cleaned by a radiator shop. It will probably have to be sealed after the cleaning, because the tern coating will have been compromised.

Cleaning it will remove all of the varnish from the spoiled gas. If it is not removed, the alcohol in the current gas will do it at a time that is very inconvenient.

In regard to the brakes, I would completely rebuild the system with new cylinders, lines, springs and shoes. There probably is considerable rust inside the lines and wheel cylinders.

Tom

Arts40
02-08-2012 @ 10:37 AM

Tom, thanks. Yeah, it's a real gem. Bought new by a neighbor and friend of my wife's family, to whom it was sold in the 60's and has been in the family since. We even have the original invoice from the Manhattan dealership. Tho never abused & always garaged, it didn't get much TLC the last 2-3 decades, so it's a project, nevertheless.

Re. the tank: From all the relevant postings I get the impression that it's hard to remove/reinstall them without collateral disturbances to body and/or frame, hence my curiosities about a non-removal rehab.

Re brakes, the forum advice is clear and compelling. So I'll renew the entire system, no two ways about that!

Thanks again for your quick reply.

trjford8
02-09-2012 @ 8:13 AM
Senior

Art, the tank can be removed without disturbing anything related to the body. Remove the fill neck and the rubber sleeve connecting the fill neck. You will probaly have to cut the sleeve( hacksaw,etc.), but it should be replaced anyway. Disconnect the fuel line to the tank. In the trunk floor (just forward of the tool tray) you will find a small trap door held down by one screw. Take out the screw and lift the door. This will allow acess to the gas tank sending unit. Remove the wire from the sending unit. Next lay under the car and remove the bolts that hold the tank to the frame. There's one on one side and two on the other side.You may have to cut the safety wire that runs through the bolt heads if the tank has never been out. Once the bolts are out push up on the tank to loosen it from the rubber pads on the frame.Then push the tank towards the driver's side while pushing from the passenger side of the tank. If all goes well the passenger side should drop down past the frame rail and you call pull the tank out from the underside of the car. If the tank does not clear the frame rail you may have to use a pry bar to pry it over far enough to drop down.It won't take much prying to get it to clear.
Once the tank is out you can take it to a radiator shop or metal stipping shop to get it cleaned out. As Tom says you will probably have to have it resealed with a coating inside. Before taking it to a shop tap on the top of the tank with a small hammer to make sure that the top of the tank is still solid metal. I've seen several tanks that look good on the bottom. but the moisture in the tank made the top very rusty and thin. My neighbor thought he had a good tank on his '53 until he tapped on the top and the hammer fell into the tank. It was paper thin on top from the rust. If the tank has any adverse conditions I would recommend purchasinga new tank. The cost of a new tank is about the same as saving the old one. You should also consider changing the fuel line also as they tend to rust over time.

supereal
02-09-2012 @ 2:24 PM
Senior

Tom O and Tom J are right on. If the "tern" coating, a sort of tin/lead material, has been breached, it is time to replace the tank. The "slush" coating may, or may not, withstand the alcohol laced fuels of today. If you are a purist, repro tanks are available. If not, you may wish to join those of us who opted for a plastic tank that will never rust, and is usually less costly than an accurate repro.

TomO
02-10-2012 @ 10:31 AM
Senior

I don't know of any reproduction tanks that are available with baffles or that will take the original sending unit.

Your sending unit may not work after all these years, but they can usually be reconditioned. If you have a problem with it, come back here for some instructions on how to get it working.

Tom

trjford8
02-10-2012 @ 5:07 PM
Senior

TomO I replaced the tank in my 37 and it had two sets of holes. One for a modern sender and one for the Drake sender which has the same flange/bolt pattern as the original sender. Don't know if all repo tanks are that way or not, but I got my tank from Drake.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-10-12 @ 5:08 PM

TomO
02-11-2012 @ 8:48 AM
Senior

Tom J,

I ordered a tank from Drake in 2004 for my 40 Mercury, it did not have any baffles and the hole for the sending unit was too small for the original sending unit. I called and they said that all of their tanks needed the aftermarket sending unit. Because the tank did not have baffles, I decided to return it rather than cut out the sending unit flange and installing the one from my original tank.

If Bob Drake has made changes since then, I am not aware of them.

Tom

239al
02-11-2012 @ 9:11 AM

I went through this a couple of months ago on my 1947 Ford, and I wound up getting a new metal tank. But I would recommend using the original if at all possible.

If I were you, I'd remove the tank and take it to the best radiator repair shop in town (ask around first) and get their advice - ask about how the new gas will attack the treatment, and be sure any other questions are answered. If you get confusing advice and they hesitate guarantying the job, go to another shop. If the shops hesitate guarantying great results, get a new tank. That's what I did.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org