LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Changing positive ground to negative ground

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Changing positive ground to negative ground -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
01-19-2012 @ 9:15 PM
Senior

The 97 is a temperamental carb prone to internal leakage. The emulsion tube must be in the correct position, and secured with the correct tool. Many have been damaged in trying to repair them. If you are not focused on being "correct", you will find the 94 carb will solve your problems.

ellsworth
01-19-2012 @ 5:23 PM

The problem with the carburetor seems to be with the float. The carburetor is a stromberg 97 and has no power valve like the holly. Am in the process of adjusting the float. According to the repair manual the float may be the problem when the engine is turned off and the it floods in a short time making it hard to start. I'm learning as I go. Will post my results when finished.

Thanks

TomO
01-14-2012 @ 8:52 AM
Senior

Alan, I did not have to set you straight, Supereal did.

I did not mention the power valve, because it is better to fix one problem at a time. Doing too many things at once can lead to creating more problems than you have.

If this were my car, I would go with a stock distributor set up by Skip, with a coli rebuilt by Skip, change the plugs and then see how the car runs.

http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

Tom

supereal
01-13-2012 @ 8:59 PM
Senior

The simplest way to set idle, as well as diagnose engine problems is with a vacuum gauge. If you don't have a diagnosis list, I can post one. We have lots of expensive diagnosis equipment at our shop, but the good old vacuum gauge is often our choice, particularly when chasing a bad idle problem.

ford38v8
01-13-2012 @ 1:42 PM
Senior

Smooth running engine only on heavy accelleration indicates a rich fuel/air mixture, confirmed by the sooty plugs. Smooth running can then only be achieved with the throttle wide open, increasing the air intake to match the fuel delivery. Your 13 miles per gallon may have been before this problem started, and is probably less now if the cause is what i think: Pull the power valve and test it in this way: Wash with water, then between your lips, pull a sction on it to your tongue. If it won't hold suction, turn it around and try it the other way. If it won't pass this test, replace it. Note that many new valves won't seat prperly due to a radius at the base of the threads. This must be removed to match the carburetor. Tighten it to the gasket well, or it will leak and show the same symptom as the old valve.

The two idle screws at the rear of the carb should be tuned for smooth idle: With fingers only, turn them both clockwise to closed position, and open 1/4 turn. Start the engine and set the idle speed at the side of the carb. Maintain this speed throughout the process. Setting one idle screw at a time, open one till the engine begins to stumble, then close it back to smooth running. This operation will need to be done several times back and forth to even out the two valves. If I haven't got this sequence right, I'm sure TomO will set me straight!

Alan

TomO
01-13-2012 @ 8:00 AM
Senior

Your rough running may be due to the uneven compression. Do as Supereal advised and post the readings here.

Replacing a condenser with one that has the same value will not fix a premature pitting problem. Check the points, if the fixed point has the extra metal, increase the value of the condenser, if the movable contact has the excess metal, decrease the value of the condenser.

Poor point life can also be caused by incorrect dwell settings. Incorrect dwell settings can also cause rough running and fouled spark plugs.

The Mallory distributor has a longer advance curve than the stock 36 distributor, bit with the lower compression and a stock camshaft, this does not provide any extra power. If you are running a super race cam and your engine is operating at or near the top range of the RPMS, you might notice some difference in performance with the Mallory over the stock Ford distributor.

Tom

supereal
01-13-2012 @ 6:49 AM
Senior

That mileage is not far off, given the age of the engine. As for condensers, if the old points appear in fair condition, we reuse the condenser. Most of those sold today are foreign made, and often inferior. Your plug problem is likely a sign of poor or stuck piston rings, or worn valve guides. If the compression readings on all cylinders are not within 10-15 pounds of each other, it will cause poor idling. Do a dry-wet compression test to see if it is rings or valves that are at fault. Thirty years is a long time, and you are probably lucky it runs as well as you say.

ellsworth
01-12-2012 @ 5:24 PM

Thanks for the info. The engine does not use oil and when I drive it, it gets about 40 or 50 miles on it because the nearest town is 20 miles.
The fuel mixture may be too rich, because I'm only getting 13 miles or less to the gallon.
The condenser is always replaced when points are put in.
The engine has only a few thousand miles since it was over hauled. However that was over 30 years ago. There is low compression in a couple of cylinders and it does run rough at idle or any steady speed. Only on acelleration does it run smooth.
Thanks for all the ideas.

supereal
01-12-2012 @ 1:34 PM
Senior

We have seen that problem with non stock systems, particularly Mallory. The lack of effective regulation of voltage is the usual cause. Solid state equipment is sensitive to both voltage and temperature. In conventional systems, plug fouling is more frequent when the leads to the coil are reversed and, as Tom points put, the condition and capacity of the condenser has direct bearing on point life. Polarity has little or no effect. Most aftermarket ignitions require full voltage, so be sure you have bypassed the resistor with your Mallory.

TomO
01-12-2012 @ 10:37 AM
Senior

The only difference in trouble shooting a POS grounded system and a NEG grounded system is in the connection of the meter leads.

The Ford distributor is a better unit than the Mallory.

Your plugs could be fouled by too much idling or not driving the car long enough (at least 10 miles) after starting it to fully warm it up.

The carburetor could also be causing the fouling as well as a weak spark.

Most of us have stock Ford distributors and coils rebuilt by Skip Haney. This setup gives a good strong spark and long (typically 15,000 miles) point life.

If your points are pitting with less than 1,00 miles, your condenser is the wrong value for your coil and point dwell.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org