LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1935 rear wheel bearings

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1935 rear wheel bearings -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

35ragtop
01-03-2012 @ 11:30 AM

I have replaced my rear wheel bearings with SKF equivalents (apparently) and noticed with everything reassembled and 100 miles on the speedo that I have vertical movement( on both sides of the car) when I have the car up on jack stands.
My question is - how tight should these roller bearings be in the hub/ axle assembly ? I read somewhere that the races (cage) should be a tight fit in the drum. Is this so ?
Any comments would be appreciated thanks guys.

supereal
01-03-2012 @ 1:14 PM
Senior

Some noticeable play is normal with the three quarter floating system. The bearings are not a tight fit in the hub. It is important that the axle housing be in good shape with only light wear. If excessive, the housing should be sleeved. Be sure to use only the fibrous type of grease when packing the bearings. Most use Sta Lube heavy duty drum brake grease. Any other type will result in rapid wear of the housing.

35ragtop
01-03-2012 @ 2:47 PM

Thanks Supereal
can you tell me also if any horizontal movement in the axle is allowable. I retightened the taper one castellation as is recommended but can sense some end play in the axle itself.

supereal
01-03-2012 @ 7:48 PM
Senior

That isn't unusual, as long as the hubs are secure on the axle tapers. The axle ends should be clean, dry, and free of any large defects before mounting the hubs. Be sure to retighten the axle nuts after about a hundred miles. They should be as tight as you can get them with a long wrench. For the most part, it isn't possible to over tighten them.

35ragtop
01-04-2012 @ 12:37 PM

thanks once again ,your wealth of knowledge in all things Ford never ceases to amaze us plebs !
Happy New Year
Daveh

supereal
01-05-2012 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

Thank you for your kind words. Those of us who worked for a Ford dealer many years ago were fortunate to learn the trade from the experienced hands in the shop. Henry Ford believed that this was the best way to train mechanics, and didn't endorse the publication of detailed shop manuals during his reign. Now that Father Time is chasing us old guys, there is a danger that much of the "inside" information is being lost. Old Fords are primitive machines, by today's standards, but unequalled in survival numbers. Learning the "how to" is central to the enjoyment of our hobby, and I am pleased to help when I can.

37RAGTOPMAN
01-07-2012 @ 1:25 PM
Senior

1935 RAGTOP
what I read here is that you have movement up and down,
CORRECT !
depending how much,??? how much play do you have,???
that should not be,to me you would never be able to get the good brake ajustment,distance between the drum and the brake shoes on the backing plate should be with in few thoushands,,and should be constant
and not vary out of specs,
to much play and your grease seals will fail also.
in and out play is ok,
measure the rollers on the old bearing, and the new bearing and see if you have any difference,if there is that must likely is the problem of the up and down play.
rule of thumb, always compare the new part to the old one before using,
sometimes the old part is better,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN
in and out is ok,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-7-12 @ 3:34 PM

supereal
01-07-2012 @ 1:39 PM
Senior

I've never seen sleeves in the drums, but have installed them on the ends of the axle housings many times. If a grease seal fails, it was installed improperly. Replacement seals without the red coating should be avoided, as they tend to collapse as they are driven into place. Evidently, they are made of light weight metal. Be sure that the seal lip is facing toward the bearing, or they will leak. If the amount of play in the wheel assembly interferes with brake adjustment, the brakes are being set too tight, or the linings don't fit the drums. If your play seems excessive, measure the bearings. The early, 28-36, are 3.12" outside diameter. The later, 36-48, are 2.78" OD, and would be very loose in the early hubs. Be sure you have the correct bearings for your hubs. Over the years, the hubs could be switched. I'm not familiar with the SK replacements, and prefer the original "script" type.

This message was edited by supereal on 1-7-12 @ 2:00 PM

35ford
01-08-2012 @ 11:28 AM

I agree with supereal as "Knowledge is NO GOOD Unless it is Shared" !

supereal
01-08-2012 @ 1:21 PM
Senior

Thanks, 35. My mother used to say "no one lives long enough to make all the mistakes". In all, over seven decades, I think I've tried to prove her wrong! A common problem with old car hobbyists is a tendency to "over think" problems. Henry Ford insisted that his creations be made as foolproof as possible so the "common man" could make most repairs with ordinary tools. That, combined with designs that retained similarity between years, was a major reason for the success of the brand. We have become spoiled with today's vehicles that can virtually run themselves for hundreds of thousands of miles, a fact that has made today's cars and trucks so complicated that repairs are made impossible without exotic tools. At our shop, we recently spent over ten grand just to replace diagnostic equipment! Celebrate old cars and, above all, repair and drive them, but don't expect them to rival our modern vehicles in performance and dependability.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org