LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / The Basics

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: The Basics -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Tev
12-04-2009 @ 5:56 PM

All,

I just bought a 37 Deluxe Coupe with a stock 85 hp and a Columbia rear-end. It's running fine and I want to keep it that way. I joined the site today and purchased the 37 book. I've searched the site for the questions I'm asking below, but I see that this is a shiney new site and past info isn't available. So here are my questions:

What are your recommendations on the basics for stock flatheads: gas, best oil to run - summer wt., winter wt., and brand. I would also like the same info. on plugs, any other lubricants, antifreeze, and standard maintenance/tune-up issues.

I figure others will have the same questions, so this string should cover the basics. Thanks in advance for any information.

ford38v8
12-04-2009 @ 10:15 PM
Senior

Tev, That's a good question, and a good title for a new string. The basics for any Ford of our era
are pretty much the same, so this can be useful to many, as you envision.

First, I'm glad your Ford is running well, so we'll see if we can help you keep it on the road.

Number one issue these days is fuel. The gasoline that is available today is laced with alcohol of
one kind or another, which causes three problems with our cars:

1) - Decomposition of gaskets, diaphragms, and fuel valves
2) - Rust in the fuel system
3) - sticky valves

1) - Fuel pump diaphragm; fuel pump valves; fuel pump flex line; carburetor needle valve (if not
all metal); carburetor accelerator pump (if not leather); carburetor power valve; any gaskets not of
fuel resistant material. These fail, and must be replaced as required with fuel resistant products,
which must be specified when you buy them.

2) - Gas tanks have always been subject to rust as the tern coating wears off. Many tanks have in
the past been coated with a sloshing compound to seal off the rust from the fuel. The older
sloshing compounds are vulnerable to the gasoline of today, and must be redone to modern
standards or the tank replaced. Fuel lines are copper coated steel, and will rust from the inside.
These will eventually need to be replaced. Fuel filters must now be installed before your fuel
pump.

3) - Marvel Mystery Oil® works wonders for many of us. MMO should be added to your gas tank
with every fill up. It helps in the prevention of the previous two problems, and prevents the
varnish that causes sticky valves. I wish I owned stock in MMO.

All three problems are caused by the fuel available today. If you have a choice, and many do,
purchase only Regular grade gasoline, never E85 or Ethanol or whatever else they want to name
that junk. Do not empty your wallet on Lead additives, as they provide no benefit to your engine.
Regular gas is what we use. Any car, not just Fords, will benefit from the use of Stabyl® in the gas
tank if it is not driven regularly to use up old fuel.

You may have heard of the reduction of zinc in motor oil. Zinc was reduced as it was determined
to shorten the life of catalytic converters. The reduction of zinc is a problem to some older
engines, but fortunately, the Ford Flathead is not affected, unless it has been modified with an
after-market camshaft and stronger valve springs than the stock Ford has. Don't waste your
money on zinc oil additives.

I don't like to name suppliers as the only place to go, as there are many that are just as good who
would suffer from lack of recognition. Don't go off half cocked and buy from just anyone,
however. Research your suppliers, many are spoken of on this Forum, some in a positive, and
some not so positive. I'll just say that anything you need is available, at a price. Offshore products
are suspect and have been for many years. Heed that advice and buy only American made
products.

Join the Early Ford V8 Club, and join a Regional Group in your area. Both are sources of friends
with similar interests, and for valuable information required to keep your Ford on the road and to
make the most of your entry into our world of Fords. Welcome, and welcome to our Forum, where
the only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked.

Alan

Tev
12-05-2009 @ 5:12 PM

Alan,

Thanks very much for that welcome. Section one under fuel is now on my checklist.

By regular gas, you mean the cheapest unleaded. When you say regular, I think of leaded gas from when I was a kid. It seems like all gas stations in Austin sell 10% ethanol fuel.

As for MMO, I've got several bottles on my shelf (for a '38 GMC). I'll use it and Stabyl, as you say.

Happy to hear zinc is not such a problem with Ford flatheads.

I am aware of the benefits of treating gas tanks with a modern liner and will do so very soon.

As for oil and other matters: I'm very happy to buy only American products for the Coupe - but I'd still like to hear recommendations on brand/wt. for modern motor oil in winter/summer. Based on my search of this site, the many forum entries on oil are in the old website and cannot transfer, so I’d like to hear recommendations – same for plugs or any other regular maintenance item. I have consistently heard to avoid detergent oils in non-oil filter engines and will do so in unless someone convinces me otherwise. Thanks in advance.
Travis

trjford8
12-05-2009 @ 5:21 PM
Senior

Tev, heres' what I haver done over the years with flatheads. I run 20/50 Castrol and change it every 1000 miles or every 6 months.I use Autolite 216 plugs and they have always worked well. Others use NGk B6L or NGK B4L. I am not a big fan of the later Champion plugs. I do use anti-freeze and I would especially recommend it if you have a motor with aluminum heads. I usually run 1/3 anti-freeze and the rest water with a small can of liquid Barr's leak.As for routine maintenance I just make sure I lube all the fittings periodically depending on how much I drive the car. I would say every 2000 miles would be sufficient. Fore gasoline I use regular 87 octane. In some states you are stuck with 10% ethanol. I would avoid at all costs the E85 which is 15% ethanol. If you are stuck with ethanol I would add a little Marvel Mystery Oil on each fill-up.
I also recommend that you join the Early Ford V-8 Club. The 6 issues a year of the V-8 Times will not only help you with the maintenance of your car, but you will learn a lot about the flathead world.It's the best $35 you will spend. With the V-8 Club roster you will also find other V-8ers in your area to help when you have a problem.

Tev
12-05-2009 @ 6:10 PM

Trjford8,

That's just what I was looking for. Thanks very much. I also paid for a membership just yesterday, so I'm looking forward to the issues.

Travis

lightflyer1
12-05-2009 @ 6:42 PM

I am in Round Rock North of you with a 35 Ford. We should meet some time!

David

ford38v8
12-05-2009 @ 8:42 PM
Senior

Tev, Regular unleaded 87 octane is what we use. I've seen the Texas gas
stations that sell the 10% ethanol 89 octane for cheaper than the 87
octane. They really push it, don't they?

Definitely DO use detergent oil. I doubt that you'll hear otherwise from
any of us here. For myself, I prefer Mobil 1 10/30, which is 100%
synthetic, but everyone has their own favorites. (If I was in your area, I
might use Mobil 1 5/30). With or without a filter, which for us is a bypass
filter at best, most of us change our oil about every 1500 or 2000 miles,
more often if your driving doesn't include highway miles.

I haven't had a complaint with Champion H10 plugs, but many others
have.

Alan

Alan

Tev
12-07-2009 @ 9:22 PM

Thanks very much.

BERTHA
12-14-2009 @ 7:32 AM

Point of interest, E85 is 75%-85% ETHANOL. The rest gasoline.

supereal
12-14-2009 @ 9:20 AM
Senior

DO NOT use E-85 in any vehicle not specifically designed for the fuel. We are seeing enough problems with the 10% alcohol blend, and there is now a move to increase it to 15%. E-85 is cheaper, but delivers very low mpg.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org