LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1946 Rear Ratio

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1946 Rear Ratio

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

37 Coupe
09-19-2011 @ 11:32 AM

There was also a good article on this in a past V8 Times,may have been written by Ron Love or McCoppin about the new 1946 Fords and new owners wondering what had happened to the Fords takeoff or acceleration from stop light. As usual I cannot find the article either in the printed index or the searchable one on this site,may have been late seventies or early eighties,could spend all day searching but got to get to garage. I remember another article which naturally I cannot find about Benson Ford I believe or whoever was head of Lincoln Mercury after the war. Anyway he was beaten at a street light by same year Ford,he was driving a post war Mercury,it was explained to him that his Mercury was a tad heavier than the Ford with the same horsepower (59AB but wouldn't you think he would have known?) anyway that led to the 4" crank as he demanded the Merc should be faster than a Ford as before war. Mayby one of those "urban myths"

ford38v8
09-19-2011 @ 10:31 AM
Senior

Wow. Never to old to learn something new. thanks for that!

Alan

37 Coupe
09-19-2011 @ 9:42 AM

Aside from 1946 Ford owners manual showing the 3:54 as standard rear axle ratio I have an original not reprinted 1946 Ford service manual 3606-46 August 15,1946 page 18.Rear axle : Passenger cars Ford (8-cylinder)and Mercury 3.54 to 1. Ford (6 cylinder) 3.78 to 1. Optional ratios available. Personally I have had three 1946 Fords and I have never seen a gear ratio other than the 3:54 in them or any 1946 Ford rear axles I have inspected.

supereal
09-19-2011 @ 9:13 AM
Senior

I can't find anything that says that the 3-54 was standard in '46. Maybe I missed it somewhere. The two primary passenger car ratios produced from '42 thru '48 were 3-78 and 3-54. Finding a 3-54 today is fairly rare, at least here in the midwest. I suspect that a 3-54 in hilly country would have been a problem, unless you liked running in second gear. There has been a trend toward 3-54 lately, hopefully to improve fuel mileage. Usually it doesn't justify the cost and time. I suspect that the 3-54 may have been more common in the six cylinder cars, as they had considerably more low end torque than the eight. Henry forbade the advertising of the actual horsepower and torque of the six so it didn't eclipse his cherished V8.

Steves46
09-19-2011 @ 5:00 AM

Ok, time to make my eye exam appointment! I have the owner's manual and managed to miss that! Thanks to all for their inputs. Steve

37 Coupe
09-18-2011 @ 4:07 PM

The 1946 Ford was different in the fact that the standard ratio was 3:54,if you have an original 1946 Ford or Mercury owners manual you will see this on the specification page, I do not know about the 47 and 48 and don't know why Ford chose to do this after the war,fuel supply worries? or a surplus of the 3:54 but I do know that is what the majority of 46 Fords were supplied with and the 3:78 was an option that had to be ordered that way.

ford38v8
09-18-2011 @ 11:52 AM
Senior

Steve, ratios were not assigned by year, but by engine, weight of the car, expected terrain where the car was sold, and by the driving habits of the buyer.

If your car is a high mileage car, the differential may have been changed out, or even have been rtebuilt with a different ratio gear set, so the stamp on the bottom web of the banjo cannot be trusted to be reliable. Still, it is a good starting place to determine your ratio. You will find two numbers there, which is the number of teeth on the ring gear, and on the pinion gear. Divide the large number by the small number, and you will have the ratio.

An easy way to check ratio is to put your car on a flat surface with a rear wheel valve stem directly down toward the road, put it in high gear, a piece of tape on the top of the crankshaft pulley. push the car straight ahead until the rear wheel turns exactly twice around. The tape on the pulley will indicate very close to 1/2, or to 3/4 around, which would indicate 3.54 or 3.78 respectively. There are other possible ratios, but these are the most common for your car.

Alan

supereal
09-18-2011 @ 11:34 AM
Senior

If there is a ratio stamp, you will find it on the "web" of the banjo on the bottom side. It will be expressed by a series of numbers. For instance 3-78 will be stamped as "349". 3-54 will read "3911". We use a ScotchBrite pad and a bit of solvent, such as "Super Clean" to help locate the numbers. Not all rear ends were stamped, and it isn't unusual to find that the gears were changed over the years, but the stamped numbers were not. I've seen a few 3-54s in '46, but mostly they are 3-78s. The 46 cars were often non "standard" as the race was on to make them immediately after the war. If you don't have the Club's fine 41-48 book, be sure to obtain a copy. It will tell you more than you probably want to know about the cars of those years. It is a gem!

Steves46
09-18-2011 @ 7:58 AM

I read somewhere that the rear ratios for the 46 cars was 3:54; and then was switched back to 3:78 in 47 & 48. Is that true? I tried locating the stamp on the bottom of my differential but have been unsuccessful trying to locate it.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org