LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Door hinge pins

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Door hinge pins -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

gobbie
09-07-2011 @ 5:51 PM

Just purchased a 36 Ford pickup with no mirrow
on right side, so I opened the door and found
there was more clearance to hit the pin with
a wrench handle and hammer. Closed door and
pulled pin. It worked. No damage. ??

supereal
09-07-2011 @ 9:57 AM
Senior

Removing the hinges from the car body is usually as big, or bigger, task than going after the pins, because the bolts are often badly rusted inside the pillar where they can't be reached. If you do try it, be sure to use an impact driver, or the heads will strip. I found that out years ago.

tommorookian
09-07-2011 @ 4:10 AM

There are 3 tried an true methods to remove door pins:
None of them work.

The "C" clamp tool only works if the pin is not rusted really bad. Most often the clamp will bend or snap in half from the pressure.

You can't cut the top off the pin and drive it down as the knurled part of the pin is bigger than the holes in the hinge.

The upper hinge is accessible to a hammer and drift but you can't do the lower with the running boards on.

Taking the 6 screws that hold the hinge to the "A" pillar gives you access to both pins once you get the door off the car.

If your going to cut the tops off the pins and drill them only go down about 3/8 of an inch which is where the knurls end. Make sure your dead center with the drill and only go with a drill 1/16th smaller than the diameter of the pin. Drilling gives the metal someplace to go when you try the clamp or hammer/drift pin or air hammer.

JM
09-06-2011 @ 6:32 PM
Senior

I have never had much luck removing hinge pins with hammer and drift pin. I just removed the upper hinge pin (passenger side) on a '35 5w coupe to install an outside rear view hinge mount mirror. I used a Bob Drake "C" shaped press tool that many say does not work well but it worked fine for me. I believe this is a beefed up version of his original tool that would bend under load. So far it has worked well on two of my cars but these are both low mileage rust free original cars.
I'm not sure it is possible to cut the head off a hinge pin and drive it down in the hinge to get out. I believe the straight knurls below the head of a hinge pin would prevent it from coming all the way through the hinge. I have heard of removing the hinge pin head and drill and taping the pin shank. Then thread a machine screw into the pin and use that screw to pull the pin out from the top.
Patience and perseverance are usually your friends when removing these hinge pins.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 9-6-11 @ 6:45 PM

supereal
09-06-2011 @ 4:11 PM
Senior

It is a good idea to "buck" the hinge with a big hammer or other substantial weight if you have to apply lots of "thump". It requires a helper while you drive the pin. The culprit is the knurling of the pin. It creates lots of rust, making the pin swell in the hole. If it wasn't a painted part of the car, we would use the faster way to rusted parts to loosen, with a torch. Generally, penetrating oil doesn't help much because it doesn't get to the rusted portion.

51f1
09-06-2011 @ 4:07 PM
Senior

I took my pins out when I was restoring my truck so I didn't have to be too careful. Some will come out pretty easily by driving them out, but some don't want to come out whatever you do. I've driven them out with a hammer and a drift pin. I have heated the hinges with a propane torch and driven them out. And I have drilled them out. If you drill them out, you can ruin the hinge.

The tool described above was ineffective because I couldn't get it in place due to the contour of the door surface. I'm not sure it will work under ideal conditions due to the lack of force generated by the screw.

Richard

ford38v8
09-06-2011 @ 11:54 AM
Senior

When doing this, rememb er that all the force you apply to the pin is transferred to the door hinge itself, and of course the door and the cowl. A word to the wise.

Alan

Stroker
09-06-2011 @ 11:38 AM
Senior

I had good luck on my 38, by using Super's air-chisel/pin punch method (with a regulator to allow it to just slowly thump) in combination with having first cut the heads off
with a air cut-off wheel. It's so much easier to "thump" down, than it is to "thump" from below.

37RAGTOPMAN
09-06-2011 @ 10:21 AM
Senior

They do make a tool, it is a small press, like a C-clamp but a lot heavier duty, I have never used on because was not made when I restored my 37,
try a few of the venders, Like SNYDERS,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

carcrazy
09-06-2011 @ 9:33 AM
Senior

It can be done but it is very difficult. I have done it on a very clean original 1940 Ford that had been in a museum for years. Use a good penetrating oil such as PB Blaster to help free up the pin first.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org