LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Oil leak problem - '48 - 59AB

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Oil leak problem - '48 - 59AB -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

swmddo
08-20-2011 @ 8:51 AM

Ugh...After spending lots of time (and $$) getting the block back in shape and installed, I now find that the seal where the transmission goes into the engine is leaking (badly!) I have a friend who says that all (ha!) we need to do is pull the rear end out, and either replace or re-seat the seal...i.e. I don't have to pull the engine. Is this correct? I've pulled the rear out several times, so I am familiar with how to do it. One question though...how did the seal NOT seat properly? Was it when I installed the engine and mated it up to the transmission?

Thanks

Steve

supereal
08-20-2011 @ 11:06 AM
Senior

Not to replow old ground, but are you sure it is motor oil, and not oil from the transmission? Did you trim the ends of the rope seal when you installed it? Is the cork pan seal in place? Did you check around the oil pressure sender? Did you have the cover plate off the oil pump gear box behind he flywheel? I've seen leaks from all those places. The crank seal is rarely affected by the installation of the transmission. If you are positive that the leak is around the crank seal, pulling the engine makes the job easier, as the pot metal rope holders will have to come out, and should be sealed at the ends when replaced.

swmddo
08-20-2011 @ 11:49 AM

Thanks, Bob. When it is under load, the oil seems to be coming fast...and to think of it, the oil looks lighter in color and seems thinner. I don't see any oil from where the oil pressure sender is. I did put the cork gasket on the oil pan properly and torques it per the manual. I did remove the cover plate from the oil pump, but was very careful in putting things back just as tahey should. If, in fact, this IS transmission oil, what is most likely the problem, and will pulling the tranny allow me to fix the problem?

Steve

supereal
08-20-2011 @ 1:16 PM
Senior

Steve: The report that the oil seems to leak worse as pressure builds would seem to eliminate the transmission as a source. There isn't a seal, as such, in the front of the transmission. It relies on a slinger. If it leaks badly, it would point to overfilling. Same is true of the engine, which will leak badly if there is too much oil in the pan. I assume that the oil is coming out of the hole on the bottom of the clutch cover. I mentioned the oil pressure sender, as I've seen them leak under pressure, with the oil running down the back of the engine and dripping off at the weep hole. The common cause of a rear crank leak is either trimming the rope seal istead of forcing it into place, which expands it, or lack of sealer at the ends of the ropes, or where the holders part. There is plenty of oil pressure at the rear main. You mentioned that "the seal where the transmission goes into the engine" is leaking. As said, the only seal at the rear of the engine is the crank seal. If it is leaking, it has to come out from the engine side of the flywheel. If it comes out of the transmission, the clutch would be covered.

swmddo
08-20-2011 @ 1:45 PM

Bob, I need to check the exact location(s) of the leak(s). I saw SOME oil seeping from the weep hole at the bottom of the clutch cover, and some from between the clutch cover and the main block...I did trim the seal some, but it was a bear putting in even then. So this apparently means I need to pull the engine again, and put in a new seal...ugh...

Thanks

Steve

37RAGTOPMAN
08-20-2011 @ 3:10 PM
Senior

some of the trans oils are to thin, and will leak out,
make sure the trans is not overfull to start with,
Macs AUTO PARTS SELLS A 600W it says it does not bother brass or bronze parts.says from 1909-1948
I do not this really 600 w, but a little thicker then the suff you get at the local parts store,
I have a old 64 Jeep CJ5 and even with new seals and bearing,, it still has a drip,using this oil 90-140
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPAMN
I just got the catalog to see what is availible.

swmddo
08-20-2011 @ 5:18 PM

Thanks. The transmission was fine before I pulled the engine. Never had a problem there. This leaking did not start when I first put the engine back in. It's only been in the last several weeks. I've only driven it a few miles since the rebuild, and the leaking is worse every time I take it out.

Steve

JM
08-20-2011 @ 6:39 PM
Senior

Steve, here's a thought to keep in mind. There is a small threaded plug in the back of the engine called an oil galley plug that sometimes gets forgotten (read left out) on an engine rebuild. If this plug is not in place you will get a lot of oil coming out the rear of the engine in the areas you mentioned. If that happens to be the problem, it's a lot easier to put a plug in that hole than it is to replace a rear main seal.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 8-21-11 @ 4:52 AM

swmddo
08-20-2011 @ 6:57 PM

JM, thanks. I think I remember putting that plug in, but it possibly came loose...will check it again. I say that, as at first, I had no leak or drip, and then it progressively got worse.

Steve

swmddo
08-21-2011 @ 4:02 PM

OK, guys...so it appears I really need to pull the engine and remove/replace that rear seal packing. Other than the recommendations to NOT trim the ends AND seal the ends, is there anything else I should think of? Perhaps I should have opted for the one-piece that goes into the seal itself...

Thanks again. I will let you know how it goes...

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org