LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / engine life

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: engine life

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

trjford8
11-23-2009 @ 6:52 PM
Senior

I agree with Bob on this. I bought a 38 Deluxe Club Coupe with only 31,000 original miles on it. It had the original upholstery and a one time repaint of the original color. It was an eastern car and showed no signs of rust, so it obviously was not driven much in the winter.It was sold new in Pennsylvania. The car was tight and not a rattle anywhere and steered and drove like a brand new 38 Ford except for one thing. It used a quart of oil every 60 miles. After I owned it for a while and went on some tours I quit checking the dip stick and added oil by watching the trip meter in the speedometer. When the trip meter got to 60 miles I stopped and added a quart.
I removed the motor and had it rebuilt. The block was very clean(water jackets) and not a crack was found anywhere in the block.It was full of sludge from sitting all those years and the tops of the pistons were loaded with carbon.I've seen several barn find cars and after they have been running for a short period of time they all need a rebuild due to excessive oil consumption.

supereal
11-23-2009 @ 8:37 AM
Senior

"Barn find" cars almost always require an engine teardown, as most were simply turned off and parked, or stopped running and were sidelined. At the very least, the seals have long since deteriorated, as have the belts, etc. The valve chamber and oil pan probably have a collection of sludge that, if unremoved, will finish off the bearings quickly. The carb and fuel system will have remnants of evaporated gas, and the dirty valve stems will likely cause at least one or two valves to hang up, and we haven't even gotten to the cooling system. Even if, by some chance, a long silent engine can be started, it is unlikely it will go far before irreversable damage.

Stroker
11-23-2009 @ 8:13 AM
Senior

I apologize to all for being so verbose, but I'm still
trying to sort out the question. If the question is
could a person expect to simply fire up an engine that
has been in storage since it's original 50,000 miles were
accumulated a half century ago, and expect to drive it
another 25,000 miles, then the answer will be clear to
all of us. I wonder how many vehicles are placed in
storage after pickling the engine, draining the coolant
and installing silica-gel storage plugs?

Stroker
11-23-2009 @ 7:46 AM
Senior

Well, given the clarified premise; I'd give a qualified
yes. The qualification is that the likelihood that the
car was driven hard should be revealed in other visible
ways.

Having said that, it sounds like there is a prejudice
against a car that has had its engine rebuilt or
"refreshed". If that was done at a dealership or
qualified repair shop, I believe this would be a
misplaced concern. An "in-frame" heads and manifold
off valve touch up might be detected by close
inspection of the manifold bolts to see if they were
disturbed after the block was painted. Head bolts
probably would have been re-torqued, even on an
unmolested original factory motor.

In 1942, gas was rationed, new tires were practically
extinct, replacement parts were not being
reproduced,and people were going to great lengths to
preserve their precious and irreplaceable
transportation. It is unlikely that a non-commercial
vehicle would be driven hard during this period of
strategic shortages. So, an early 40's Ford would most
likely not accumulated 50,000 miles before 1946, and
thus most of the mileage would have been accumulated
during the post war period. Lets say that the
hypothetical barn car was therefore parked in 1950. How
likely is it that one would rebuild or swap-out the
engine, just to put it in storage?

42wagon
11-23-2009 @ 3:24 AM
Senior

Looking at the answers I am getting I realized that I didn't really ask my question correctly.

What I would like to know is this: In 1941, or 42 you drive a brand new car out of the show room. Given reasonable care and reasonable driving conditions when could you expect to have to rebuild the engine? Carrying that forward, you find a car in a barn with 50 thousand miles on it, is it reasonable to expect that you have an original untouched engine?

trjford8
11-22-2009 @ 7:35 PM
Senior

Stroker makes some valid points on how long the motor will last. Actually we only drive these cars 1000 to 1500 miles a year on tours etc. It is done mostly on 2 lane roads. If you do the math it will take 20 years to reach 20,000 miles. If the rebuild is good for 50,000 we'll lose our driver's license before we wear out the motor!

Stroker
11-22-2009 @ 3:00 PM
Senior

As a young ranch kid, growing up out west in the 50's
among 7 hard-working flatheads; we worked our engines
hard, with long grades, and hot temperatures. Valves
usually were the first to go, and it wasn't out of the
ordinary to do a valve grind after only 20,000 miles,
and a "ring job" at 50,000. Today, given superior oils,
and better oil filters (compare a 50's era "cotton-
waste" Fram with a modern WIX), and "recreational"
driving, I would think that a well assembled flathead
should go close to 75,000. The big IF is this: We
drove two-lane roads at about 50, (except during our
teen years) most roads had a town about every 25 to 50
miles which let things cool off a bit. Interstate
highways allow for sustained high speed duty cycles
which tend to be a little rough on exhaust valves.
Remember that many of our older Fords have 4:11 or 3:78
final drive ratios. If you are going to run down the
"superslab" at a sustained 70, you are really asking a
lot of a long-stroke motor that will be spinning at
between 3200 and 3500 rpm. So...if you stay on the
two-lanes (which is more fun anyway), I'd think you
might get a good 75-80,000 easily.

42wagon
11-22-2009 @ 2:09 PM
Senior

We all know that Ford expected that sometime in the life of a car the engine would need to be rebuilt. In the flathead era there were rebuilders all over.

So given an engine with average maintenance driven in reasonable climate conditions how many miles could you expect to get before rebuilding a 40, 41, or 42 engine?
Ted

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org