LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Head Removal

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Head Removal

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

1934 Ford
03-21-2011 @ 3:22 AM
Senior

Finally it's coming off!!!
It came off the old fashioned way. Lots of Blaster, prying, wedging, hitting, a 500 mile race at Bristol and few cans of beer. Glad I'm not paying for me by the hour.
I tried the slap hammer. My 3 pound one was used in the end, but not until it was loose all around. I borrowed a 10 pound one and welded a bolt in an old spark plug. (It stripped the threads off the fine thread bolt and didn't budge the head)
I guess doing this job with the engine in the car is always a project due to the lack of prying and hammer space.
One of the guys in our local Model A Club built a steel plate that sat on the top of the studs with holes for big bolts into the spark plug holes. Then tightened the plate down lifting the head. Seems to me that with all the easy access to the 4 cylinder Model A head, it wouldn't be necessary but he loans it all the club members.
Thanks for the suggestions.

39 Ken
03-15-2011 @ 11:16 AM

Bob, I don't have to ask!! I've been down that alley. Ken

supereal
03-15-2011 @ 11:11 AM
Senior

That's right, Ken. That is why we use the wooden door wedges, as they have very thin ends that split before damaging the internal parts. Even so, they should be inserted in the space between cylinders. An added precaution: when removing studs, be sure that the valves in the area of the stud are fully closed before you use the puller. Don't ask how I know that.

39 Ken
03-15-2011 @ 4:37 AM

Be careful when using wedges or any prying tool in the area of the valves. They don't take kindly to any side force and can be bent. Ken

supereal
03-14-2011 @ 9:09 AM
Senior

It is likely that a persistant leak has caused the studs to rust to the head. Once you break that bond, you should be able to pry the head up enough to get it off. We start with a putty knife all the way around the head, then graduate to a thin pry bar, being careful not to mar the block surface. When there is enough room, insert the wooden wedges used to install doors in a house. They are sold in packs at home centers. Drive in several until the head is free. You will probably find several studs that are partially rusted away. We replace all studs usuing a good puller. If you don't have one, double nut the studs and work them back and forth until you get them free. Be sure to coat the block ends of new studs with a non-hardening sealer such as Permatex. If you use care, it is likely the suds will come out. If you break any, seek professional help to avoid block damage.

37RAGTOPMAN
03-13-2011 @ 4:45 PM
Senior

I would try a heat gun,heating the head so the PB BLASTER can work its way in,
also try using strips of rag wrapped around each stud and let soak for a few days,
then remove the rags and apply the heat,this might take a while to get the all the head heated up,
also using a slide hammer in the spark plug holes might also pull the head up, doing a little at a time,working back and forth across the head,
you will have to use old spark plug and make sure it is scr*w*d all the way in,
take the plug apart and use the bottom of it,it is a 18mm size tread,
using a screw driver or chisel, between the head and block to me is a last resort,you do not want to gouge up the block,you do this working you way around,
hope this helps,!!!!!!
INSPECT the studs, I usually try using them if possible, chase the treads and inspect them,
I would use the old ones if possible if they look good, going to a auto machine shop to have removed will run big money,, getting them ALL out with breaking 3 or 4 you would be lucky guy,
you can always take the head off if you have problems later on,, usually this is not a problem, have done many engines using the studs over,but replace the nuts with American made nuts,
if you have to replace the head studs, MAKE SURE you get the best you can buy,
cheap ones can break on installation,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN,
PLEASE post how you made out,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-14-11 @ 4:55 PM

1934 Ford
03-13-2011 @ 4:02 PM
Senior

Today I started removing a bad (steel) head on My 34 Fordor. It was rusted out from the inside and leaking water out in upper corner closest to the firewall. Other wise it's a great running 21 stud flathead.
I removed the water pump, head bolts, plug loom, and all the head bolts. STUCK !!
I hit the starter (without plug wires on that side) and saw a compression poof (indicating I blew the head gasket, but the head is still stuck)
I taped on the entire head with a hammer and tried to get a wedge into the are at the front of the head between the head and the block. STUCK !
As I write this the studs are all soaking in Blaster.
Now I need suggestions from you, the FORUM members,
as to methods that worked for you. The last time I did this on another 34, it was also a challenge. There must be an eassier way, your suggestions please.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org