LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Not charging help.

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Not charging help. -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

lightflyer1
02-20-2011 @ 11:28 AM

Friend has a 1936 Ford Coupe. Engine runs fine as long as the battery is kept charged manually. Original generator wasn't charging he told me. Checked with voltmeter and only shows battery voltage at battery. Pulled it off and swapped for another he had on hand (used). It didn't show a charge either. Sent the original in to be rebuilt. It came back and we installed it and a new script looking modern voltage cutoff unit. Only gets battery voltage at battery at high idle 1000 1500 rpm maybe. Changed cutoff to another he had on hand and no change. Doesn't seem that complicated as there are only two wires. One to battery side and one to armature side. Any advice on what to check next?

37RAGTOPMAN
02-20-2011 @ 2:54 PM
Senior

did you adjust the 3 rd brush, if not try that, if still does not charge
Take the cutout off, dissconect the fan belt,
carefully, run a 10 gauge or better junper wire from the negative terminal, this should be the hot side being the positive is ground,
run the wire to the ARM wire going into the generator,
it should spin,IT SHOULD MOTOR,
BE REAL CAREFULL of the FAN,
is there a new wiring harness in the car, how is the dash wiring, up though the amp gauge,???
all wiring termials tight and clean,
did the generator work before, did he do anything different,
were did that CUTOUT come from, boy that is wild,
I never saw one of them.,
lets hear how you made out,
so we can maybe add to this,
the more info the easier it will be, 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 2-20-11 @ 2:56 PM

Dolman
02-20-2011 @ 2:57 PM

Suggestions:

Verify that the generator is actually generating by disconnecting its wire from the cutout and measuring the voltage at the lug. Should be at least 7 volts. If no voltage, check to be sure the generator housing has a good ground. You can check the ground with an ohmmeter between the generator housing and the engine block. Should read zero ohms (be sure to zero the meter before taking the measurement). The generator's ground is through its housing and the mounting hardware. If the ground is good, your friend may have won the negative lottery.

Crimp on connectors are always suspect to me. I've seen more than a few that gripped the wire insulation tightly but had a poor if any contact with the wire itself. Three bad ones on a brand new boat trailer. I solder mine and use shrink tubing. Disconnect the blue wire from the cutout and check its continuity from the lug back to the fuse block. If there is continuity, be sure it is connected to the correct side of the fuse. The correct side is the terminal that the yellow wire from the ammeter is connected to. Here, I am thinking of the possibility of a blown fuse. If the cutout is connected to the wrong side of the fuse and it is in fact open, the engine would run but lights would not.

Comment on electrical connections: They have to be clean, clean, clean. The horn on my 34 pickup didn't work when I bought it. Troubleshooting the problem discovered that one of the connection screws had not been firmly tightened and all sorts of crud had crept in between the screw head, washer, and post. It had gone on long enough that just tightening the screw didn't get a honk. Cleaned every thing with emery cloth and solved the problem.

Lightflyer1, that's the best I have to offer. I am still on a steep learning curve with my old Ford like many of the members of this forum. If the "old boys" have better ideas or want to correct me, that's ok. There are several of them that I would like to apprentice to.

This message was edited by Dolman on 2-20-11 @ 3:00 PM

supereal
02-20-2011 @ 3:53 PM
Senior

Lots of good advice. Be sure to check the battery, preferably under load. A bad cell will produce the problem you set out. It presents a high resistance to charging, and the cutout sees it as a fully charged battery. We check charging systems by placing a voltmeter across the battery poles. You should see about 7.2 volts in a healthy system. If not, backtrack with your voltmeter across each leg of the system until you find the culprit.

drkbp
02-20-2011 @ 4:44 PM

lightflyer1,

If you have not already solved your problem, Ragtop is correct, set the third brush.

Loosen the nut/clamp on the third brush and move it in the direction of fan rotation and it will increase output. Tighten clamp and start engine. See if it increases amps on your dash instrument amp gage. To lower output, move third brush against the fan rotation. The third brush is under the cover you have clamped over the back end of the generator.

I would put the cutout on. Turn on ignition. Amp will show a slight discharge. Turn ignition off and the amp gage should zero. If it does that, it may be that the cutout is just fine. When engine starts, if the amp gage goes to zero the cutout is not the problem yet.

IF the amp gage jumps back and forth rapidly, bad cutout so get another one they are cheap. It's the same cutout switch Ford started using in 1919 all the way through V8's. About twenty years.

Crank the car. Amp gage should go near zero when car starts. Fast idle should show positive charge (needle moves only slightly sometimes). If not enough for you, move third brush in fan rotation and remember to tighten third brush before starting. If it shows 4-5 amps on the gage on your dash, you are there in my opinion.

Don't have the emergency brake on or the lights on while you are doing this.

Any good alternator/generator shop can check your generator. Did a 6-volt generator month and half ago and did a 6-volt starter last week. Leo checked them while I stood at the counter.

You can put a ammeter in the charging circuit at the generator and get a more correct reading. I do not think you have a two rate (F terminal) generator. They were on some cars with radios. Yours looks like mine.

All this said, I take my 6-volt batteries out and give them a good charge about every six months. All my starter cars have six volt systems in them.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 2-20-11 @ 4:47 PM

lightflyer1
02-20-2011 @ 5:55 PM

It isn't the third brush. Nothing changes with it in any position it is in. I will try the things mentioned here next pass at his house. Thanks!

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 2-21-11 @ 8:12 AM

lightflyer1
02-26-2011 @ 10:16 AM

Found lead to third brush with insulation wore off from rubbing. Fixed that. Ran engine and checked output from disconnected arm. wire and got 8 to 12 volts depending on engine speed. Battery side when arm wire reconnected still only reads 6.2 volts. Seems as though the generator is putting out but not getting through the cutout. Tried orignial NOS, solid state (2 versions). Car ran before and charged. Wiring checks to be good so far. I am assuming the B and A on the cutout stand for battry an armature. Moving third brush does nothing. Original ammeter shows slightly discharge but never moves as engine speed changes.

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 2-26-11 @ 10:21 AM

supereal
02-26-2011 @ 10:31 AM
Senior

It is likely that the problem is either an open field or armature. The only reliable way to test an armature is with a tester called a "growler". By substitution, you have likely eliminated the cutoff. Unless the engine groundstrap is missing, or the circuit from the cutout to the battery is open or faulty, a rebuilt generator is probably the next step. The cost for a rebuilt is around $200, plus the old unit as a "core". The early (34-38) generators are getting scarce. I put a 6 volt alternator on my Model A when the generator quit at considerably less than a replacement generator.

lightflyer1
02-26-2011 @ 10:43 AM

Sitting here with two supposedly rebuilt generators, one local shop and the other repaired by service listed in Hemmings. Same results.

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 2-26-11 @ 10:44 AM

supereal
02-26-2011 @ 1:54 PM
Senior

In that case, I'd follow the wiring diagram and check each connection by placing voltmeter probes at each end of that leg and look for a bad or open connection. We have found open wires inside the insulation that are not apparent on the surface, particularly if they are the old type with rubber that is covered with fabric, or teminals that have become corroded where the wire joins. The whole six volts can be dropped (lost) with just a few ohms resistance. Another culprit is battery terminals where the acid has infiltrated between the cable and the clamp. Generator output requires the battery load. Don't depend on the dashboard ammeter to determine if the generator is working. Put the voltmeter across the battery terminals and watch while the engine is revved. If the voltage shows any increase, a high resistance in the system is probable.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org