LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Ignition Resistor

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Ignition Resistor -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
02-23-2011 @ 10:21 AM
Senior

Right on! Some Chrysler products retained the 6 volt coils long after the rest of the system went to 12 volts. The voltage drop caused by the starter can starve the ignition. As I have often mentioned, that is why we install a diode protected circuit to apply full battery voltage to the coil as long as the starter is running. As mentioned above, some starters or solenoids did the same thing to "goose" the coil.

Early46
02-22-2011 @ 5:09 PM

Hey Super, I was about to post that the reason for the lower design voltage of about 3.5 volts for the Ignition Circuit was the fact that on starting, the battery voltage will be significantly lower than the nominal "6" volts. All batteries have an internal resistance, all though quite small, it is significant when the starter is engaged! A good exercise for someone, put a voltmeter across the battery and hit the starter button!

Many of the 50's to 70's cars used either a ballast resistor ( looks like a ceramic block ) or resistance wire. An extra contact on the starter solenoid shorted out the resistor so that full battery voltage could be applied to the coil circuit during start. Most early 12 Volt coils were really 9 Volt coils with the ballast dropping 3 Volts. Of course now with confusers (opps I meant computers..) and electronic ignition all that goes away!

Looks like there are enough EE's on this forum that we could start a E=IR school!!

Keep the smoke in them parts!

supereal
02-22-2011 @ 11:24 AM
Senior

It probably would be more apt to call the "resistor" a "voltage regulator", not to be confused with the generator regulator. Most, if not all, electrical devices are designed for a specific input voltage. That is why transformers are so rated. The Ford coil uses 170 turns of primary wire, with the secondary being constructed of 16,500 turns. This "step up" transformer uses about 3 volts input to produce spark voltage of 12,000 to 17,000, depending on variations in input and rate of interruption by the points. As you know, a transformer does not operate on direct current, so the coil relies on the "on-off" power produced by the contact points. The system voltage of the car varies considerably, from a low in the order of 4 volts when the starter motor is engaged, to over 7 volts when the generator kicks in, but the current draw of the coil remains fairly constant. To keep the input voltage fairly even so the car will start when the battery is drawn down, yet not burn away primary winding and coil insulation as system voltage climbs, the regulator (resistor) permits about 3 volts, roughly half the battery voltage, when cold, and as the voltage rises, it offers further restriction because the nichrome resistance wire, similiar to that in a toaster heats, increasing resistance. In practice, the wire coil can approach red heat. The design was made even more complicated because the power flow through the coil is not constant, and must be measured as the "root mean square" of the wave. The voltage control certainly isn't as precise as today's regulators, but does serve to protect the ignition system. Many of us have had the experience of forgetting to turn off the ignition switch when the car is parked. If, by chance, the points are closed, the coil will be "cooked". I hope this will answer your question. The "resistor" is meant to both allow a somewhat stable power source and to prevent damage by preventing overloading.

TomO
02-22-2011 @ 7:48 AM
Senior

Alan, I agree with you. Henry used the external resister, while the other manufacturers hid the resister in the coil or the primary wire. He probably would be amused at this discussion, also.

Tom

ford38v8
02-21-2011 @ 8:50 PM
Senior

I've been reading with some interest all the EE explanations of the reason why a resistor was included in the ignition system. The obvious answer, Gentlemen, is all too clear to me, a lowly IE:

Old Henry had a keen sense of practical jokes, and of downright mean dirty tricks, although never did he share his chuckles with others, but rather, took his pleasure privately.

The true history of the resistor in the Ford ignition dates to Henry Ford's memories of his father scolding him to keep his hands where they belonged, in the dirt from which they could do something productive on the farm where he grew up. Therefore, the resistor was placed high and nearly inaccessible behind the steering wheel in order to tempt young fingers, and to harshly scold those dirt diggers who gave in to that temptation. This then, was Henry Ford's respect of his father's words, that every man should toil within his capabilities lest he be burned.

Alan

Dustbowl
02-21-2011 @ 4:17 PM

Supereal, In spite of your great explanation, I am still more than a little puzzled. My fundamental question was why the old Fords needed a resistor, and the key sentence in your explanation was:"Too little power sapped the necessary spark, and too much would eventually destroy the coil and points."
I understand the first part of this sentence but hung up on the second part: why would 6v damage the coil and points.
Apologies for my persistence, and maybe stupidity.

Dolman
02-21-2011 @ 2:05 PM

Supereal, Maybe we should start a new thread "Reminiscing". When I was about 11 or 12 a neighbor saw me stringing a long wire from my bedroom window to a nearby tree. "Building a crystal set are you?" When I nodded yes, he said, "Be right back". He returned with Radio Engineering by Frederick Terman, handed it me and said, Here's your future, son". That book was my bible. I went on to build all sorts of bread board radios and was repairing other people's radios when I was 14. Electrocuted myself more than a few times. Is there a faster way to check for B+ voltage than a damp fingertip? I would mow someone's lawn and as soon as I got paid I would run to the post office for a money order to buy the parts that I wasn't able to scavenge from the junkyard. I love old radios. Some of them were junk the day they left the factory but others have had nearly an eternal life. Atwater Kent, Hallicrafters, RCA, Zenith to name a few. Back to the early Fords, It's amazing what those engineers were able to do with the limited devices and materials available at the time. It was simple because that's the only way it could be. Haven't fully swallowed the positive ground yet, but I'll get used to it.

supereal
02-21-2011 @ 12:28 PM
Senior

Dolman: It is interesting to see many of the old radios being brought back to life, particularly the big consoles that sat where the TV is today. Many of these old sets used the big speaker coil as a choke to reduce noise, and produced incredible, for their time, clarity. In the vogue of "everything old is new today", tube type amps are now treasured by audiophiles for their tone, as opposed to solid state reproduction. I only wish my hearing was that good!

Dolman
02-21-2011 @ 11:19 AM

Tom, I meant the post as a bit of humor. Two old EEs overlooking the obvious gave me a chuckle and I am never reluctant to laugh at myself. I certainly don't remember all I learned either. Sometimes I have to reach way back to solve a simple algebra problem. The problem for us old folks is that there isn't a managed file delete system for our brains to clear out the 75 years or more of useless clutter to make the good stuff easier to find.

TomO
02-21-2011 @ 10:01 AM
Senior

Dolman, I did not want to send you back to school, that is why I did not go into all of the theory behind the resister.

Besides that I don't remember all that I was taught about electronics, so if I did try to send you back to school, I would not be able to answer your questions.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org