LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Are my 35 boards original

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Are my 35 boards original

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

35gal
01-25-2011 @ 11:59 AM

Has anybody seen 1935 running boards that do not have the 1/8 diameter holes in the top for the rubber to show thru. My 35 is an excellent car with no rust or patch panels anywhere and never any damaged. The car was undercoated in 1982 so I know the boards were on there then. And yes, I’ve removed the undercoating and the holes are not there. These may be reproduction boards but if they are, except for the holes, look original. All the braces, bends and welds look original. And they fit like a glove. They do have replacement covers. I’ve seen a lot of 34 boards but these are the first 35 boards. I just cannot believe someone back then could make a board as excellent as these. Could these be boards that were reproduced in the late 30’s or 40’ and sold through Ford dealership for replacement?

Stroker
01-25-2011 @ 4:51 PM
Senior

35 Gal:

In the mid 70's, I replaced the running boards on my 38, which were badly worn (yes I saved the originals), with a pair sourced via Hemmings that were made in Argentina. Other than the metal being a little thinner, I was very pleased with the fit and finish. They did not have the holes, and I still have them installed on the car. I've heard a lot of negative comments on the Argentinian running boards, and today there are a couple of additional options available; New Drake boards, and recovering services for your old Ford boards. For now, I'm happy with the Argentinian boards, as I'm simply re-doing a driver, but someday, I may have my old boards recovered. I don't know how the judges deal with this, but I would assume if they crawled under and didn't see the holes, they might dun you.

Dan

ford38v8
01-25-2011 @ 7:51 PM
Senior

Dan, your assumption is correct. The key word is "might". Any repop, including Ford Service Replacements, is subject to possible point deduction, and would depend on availability of original, quality of the repop, whether the judging team caught it, and whether the Deputy decides to deduct for it, or only note the discrepancy on the judging sheet.

I'll tell you of a recent experience I had as a Deputy, and how I handled it:

As is the case with most Deputies, I have judged the same cars at more than one meet, and may recognize not only the car, but the owner. Some, I have helped with advice during the restoration. A Judge in this position must be careful to treat such cars as fairly as those he's never seen, and with only limited time available to judge, his team is liable to miss discrepancies if not made aware of them. I do try to educate my Judges as best as I can before judging begins, and do not point out items I was previously aware of in the interest of fairness. So that the owner knows he got lucky this time, and the Judges know they missed something, I will then write it as a no point item and point it out to the Judges.

This is tricky, this fairness thing. We are not in the position of being able to recluse (is that the right word?) ourselves as a Supreme Court Judge is. Every car must be judged, and fairness demands they be judged by the same team that judged others in the class. There is no way I can think of to do this fairly if a Deputy imparts his prior intimate knowledge of the car to the team. He must hope that his team is sharp enough to catch discrepancies and mark them for deduction.

The worst case scenario happened, and I judged a car in which I was involved (long distance) in the restoration of, and was friends with the owner. Although I had never seen his car prior to the meet, I knew it was his and knew of many deductions it should get. Luckily, my team found most of them without input from me, but I was sweating bullets on how to make it right if they hadn't. His car was judged again at the Eastern Meet, and that team had come up with basically the same results as my team had, the car was judged to be a Second Place.

A situation like this can go very badly if a Deputy is not careful. Either extreme of possible results can be damaging to everyone concerned, and I don't claim the wisdom of Solomon, so I would like to hear of others comments and opinions on the subject.

Alan

trjford8
01-25-2011 @ 8:56 PM
Senior

35gal, I agree with Stroker that you may have some Argentine boards on your car.The metal is thinner and there are no holes on the bottom side.You might check the crossbraces to see if you find "Industria Argentina" stamped on one of them. Those boards did fit good, but over time the rubber deteriorated if they had a lot of exposure to the sun.
As with all things Ford it might be possible they could be original as Ford used many different ouside suppliers, but it is doubtful.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org