LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 34 ford Distributor

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 34 ford Distributor -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

gregthor
10-26-2010 @ 9:07 AM

Alan,
I don’t think I will switch to 12 V; it seems you guys have a lot of good ideas to try before I go to that extreme. A ground cable to the starter is one idea to try. We replaced the battery cables with really thick ones, but there was a braded cable that didn’t look to good that we didn’t replace yet. Also, I think the motor is really tight. It only has about 15 miles on it. I think if we can fix the cooling problems, we can put some miles on the car and it might loosen up a bit and be able to start with the 6 V (now to start it we need to jump it right at the starter with 12V).
Besides totally having fun working on this car another reason that it was so fun is that my Dad’s first car was a 34 ford. See attached picture of my Dad & his 34 taken in 1945 on Ohio Street in Detroit Mi. The picture didn’t scan well but in the photo I can see the rubber weather strip on the door is falling down and a crack in the front fender (my Dad said that was common). Also by looking at the tires, they must not have had Armor All back then. Talking about this car always puts a smile on my Dad's face. He said the clutch slipped and his buddy could beat him with a Whizzer bike. I have added a 34 ford to my bucket list. It was really fun to drive. The shifter has a long throw compared to the Hurst shifters in my GTO but I like how you have to have a “feel” to get the shifts right. It makes you feel ”one with the machine” when it goes smoothly!
Greg

ford38v8
10-25-2010 @ 7:55 PM
Senior

Greg, that's a honey of a little coupe! We'd all sell our sisters to get our hands on that beauty!

Please don't go 12 volt. Too much to convert to do it right, and so little to do to make the 6 volts work for you.
If it's a modern radio or disc player you want, you can get a converter for those thingys pretty cheap.
My opinion on a radio in an old Ford is that it should hum like the original. I want to hear the flat motor anyway, not tunes!

So glad it added some nostalgia to the wedding!

Alan

gregthor
10-25-2010 @ 9:27 AM

I guess only one picture went through. Here is the other one. Greg

gregthor
10-25-2010 @ 9:19 AM

Update! The car made it in the wedding and it a hit at the wedding. Many memories of Grandpa and his love of cars from people that were at the wedding. We returned the car last Friday night and I took these pictures just before we returned it. In the spring we will probably get the car back to fix the cooling problem, add a ground stap to the starter or maybe go to 12 volts. I am now getting my monhtly magazine from the club so I can learn more about these cars in the mean time. I know you all know what a 34 3 window looks like but I wanted to attach a picture anyways, I hope it came through. Anyways THANKS again for all your help getting this car on the road, I could not have done it without you guys!!

Greg

gregthor
10-02-2010 @ 4:01 AM

Hello from Aschaffenburg, Germany!!
Good News, the latest news from Michigan Friday night is that the 34 Ford is running and will be in the wedding today (but with a follow pit crew car). We called Skip but the distributor would not make it there & back in time.(thanks for the suggestion Supereal) My son Carl suggested to call his friends Dad who is a mechanic that has a 32 ford & he had some knowlede & a distributor machine.
A special Thanks to all of you for your help!! In the end I think it was a combination of ignition issues & a clogged muffler (so Thank you Ford38V8 for the idea to check the muffler). I was fooled into thinking that a coffee can full of carbon & mouse stuffing was all of the plugged muffler but apparently there was more. Now that the car is running, the water pump is leaking really bad & I think the radiator is shot also, it is ok when you drive but water overflows with you park it. It has a big fancy radiator cap without a gasket. The owner said leave it for now. He really wants it in the wedding. (This was grandpas car and they really would like to see it in the wedding) I am not sure if the owner wants the car back as is or if he wants us to keep going to make it a dependable driver. The engine is still tight from the rebuild 25 years ago & needs 12volts to start it. Thanks again guys!!!!! Greg
ps I will ask my kids to help me send photos when I am back in the states

TomO
09-27-2010 @ 10:52 AM
Senior

The point gap and timing may be incorrect. Try Yesteryear Ford Parts in Livonia, MI for a rebuilt distributor. Dave is very helpful and may be able to give you more information pver the phone.

http://yesteryearfordparts.com/

Tom

supereal
09-27-2010 @ 10:47 AM
Senior

With that low cylinder, I'd suspect valve problems. Do a dry/wet compression test to confirm that. Most of these older engines contain gobs of sludge in the valve chamber. Have fun in Germany!

ford38v8
09-26-2010 @ 9:34 PM
Senior

Greg, Two ideas for you:

Your exhaust pipe is clogged.

On your carb and pump rebuilds, you may not have a correct float level, or your pump may have slop in the rocker arm as most kits these days don't supply a new arm. The fix is a new arm, not a slug cap on the pushrod.

OK, that was 3 ideas.

Alan

gregthor
09-26-2010 @ 3:51 PM

Well Thanks a bunch guys!!!, I am heading to Germany on business an might be off line for a few days. The 34 idles but doesn't develop power, I think we will miss the wedding... We did our best but now the water pump is leaking.... I think the distributor needs to go to Skip before it will run correct. The compression test was 7 cylinders 90psi and one cylinder 60 psi. We did rebuild the carb & fuel pump also and replaced the gas tank & gas lines. If it is getting fuel and air then it boils down to spark...distributor..!! I am still having fun with this car though. I think the distributor is not set right.
Thanks again, Greg

supereal
09-26-2010 @ 3:14 PM
Senior

Dan: Perhaps that should be "what I THOUGHT I knew then">

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org