LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Engine overhaul/rebuild

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Engine overhaul/rebuild -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

1883warren
09-13-2010 @ 9:00 PM

I took a '53 Studebaker six block and crank to a guy in a town 65 miles from home, on a Tuesday. He called on Friday and said the block was bored, but he had to install a sleeve in #2 because of a bad spot. He called the next Wednesday and said the crank was turned to .030 under and all was ready to come get. I drove there the next day and got everything. Once week later it was in the car and running great.
I'd pull my engine out of that place... ask other nearby club members where to take it, then take it there and get your enigne DONE. Your present shop is ill-managed (or worse). That's my opinion and I'd bet the farm on it....
Warren

EWATERS
09-03-2010 @ 4:03 PM

Thanks for your response. Having work done seems to be a real challenge regarding timeliness of progress. I know, "be patient" but I had planned to drive the car before I'm in my dotage.

bigvince
09-03-2010 @ 12:23 PM

I had two engines rebuilt. I took a Mopar motor to a well established machine shop known for Mopar work and the engine languished for nearly 2.5 years. I took the Flathead V8 for the Ford to another shop and it was rebuilt in one month. Oh yeah...the Mopar engine was done 10 days after I got the flathead done!

FrankM-RG5
08-12-2010 @ 11:47 AM

Is there a regional group near you? If so join. This will be an invaluable resource to finishing your car up. There is nothing here that is rocket science. A good lawn mower mechanic could put this together. My experience is limited but I managed to put two flatheads together.

supereal
08-11-2010 @ 2:01 PM
Senior

I understand the frustration with the time lag in getting antique work done. We don't solicit those jobs, but have a considerable backlog most of the year. Most is done in slow periods when the demand by customers for repairs to keep their vehicles in service for their businesses slacks a bit. The only way I know to determine if a shop is "reputable" is to ask around. Use your Club roster and call members for their opinion. Many, if not most, shops that accept antique work are run by those who have retired, or are running a sideline shop. We don't solicit antique work, and do most of it in the slack times late and early in the year. Much of the work is the result of my years of involvement in the hobby, and my love of old cars. We are "up front" with our customers and, always appreciate their patience.

37 Coupe
08-11-2010 @ 1:50 PM

If you have no idea where parts should go together or where to take engine and car next I would try to stick with this guy. I would check storage of the project as it might tell something about quality of work you will get back. Is stuff neat and tidy and organized,is machined surfaces protected or is stuff uncovered,disorganized and left rusting or gathering dust?If it looks like the guy cares even if he has not had the time, stick with him.If you move stuff could get lost or damaged and you will surely have to pay the man for his time for an unfinished job. I had a real good body shop and a buddy take almost a year and half to do my coupe but it was worth the wait and the price,my engine only took about a month but the worse was my license plates by a guy in Penna.took almost three years!

This message was edited by 37 Coupe on 8-11-10 @ 1:56 PM

EWATERS
08-11-2010 @ 1:29 PM

FrankM; thanks for your encouraging comments. The mechanic keeps telling me I have to be patient, but, after 6 months in the garage and 2-3 months in the machine shop my patience is stretching mighty thin. I plan to have a heart-to-heart with the mechanic. However, if I have to have my car returned home from the garage, I shudder at the thought of having a pile of miscellaneous parts from the engine that I don't have the experience or facilities to deal with at home. (by the way, does anyone have any idea how much a 6-cylinder block weighs?; i.e., will I need a crane to load it for transport home?)
P.S.: How do I "find someone reputable,"? I thought and, still hope, that the garage where I took the car is "reputable," alas, only time will tell if I "have patience."

This message was edited by EWATERS on 8-11-10 @ 1:38 PM

FrankM-RG5
08-10-2010 @ 8:05 PM

I think 6 months is an inordinately long time. He brought the car somewhere to get work done and they should have told him what to expect. I do not know if the shop has much experience with this type of motor but it is not complicated. I can get a crank ground or a block bored in less than a month. Sometimes I hit it right and it is a few days. I brought all my stuff to the balance shop and it was a few weeks. This was due to the balancer not being happy with a few of the rods.

You may just want to sit down with your mechanic and ask point blank if he has any interest in this project? If he does not then find someone reputable in your area. If a shop has a back log they usually do not want your stuff until they can give it their full attention. No one wants stuff needlessly lying around.

supereal
08-09-2010 @ 12:10 PM
Senior

Right, Tom. Frequent customers usually get preference because they help pay the bills. Many shops won't touch antiques because they have no reference material, and flat rate books are long gone for old vehicles, so it is difficult to estimate the actual amount of time required for any specific job. This isn't to downgrade the importance of old cars. Machine work must be precise, and simply setting up equipment such as boring bars, hones, and crank grinders, balancers and polishers soaks up lots of time, and as said, "time is money". Anyone seeking a rebuild needs to have a "heart to heart" talk with the shop to understand how the process works, and how they can minimize the cost by stripping the block and running down necessary parts.

TomO
08-09-2010 @ 8:18 AM
Senior

Most automotive machine shops that do antique engine work also do work for garages and and parts houses. They will put their steady customers ahead of your once in a lifetime job. If the machine shop is reliable and has a lot of experience with the older engines, be patient. If you get impatient, they may just give your work to an apprentice.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org