LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / What Should I Do With This 1937 Ford Barn Find?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: What Should I Do With This 1937 Ford Barn Find? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

39Fordfan
05-20-2021 @ 12:16 PM

TomO,

I totally agree. I've already been on the receiving end of finishing the restoration of my Dad's '39 fourteen years ago. In that case, I'm glad I did it as it was a dying man's wish. But I much prefer driving these cars to being a resto-mechanic on them.

39Fordfan
05-20-2021 @ 12:07 PM

kubes40.
Hi Mike, I was thinking he may have gotten paid by the farmer to get it out of the barn for him, heehee - And $1500 would be a great payday for him to haul it out. But given he is a cop, I didn't want to go too hard on him with a lowball offer.

I certainly wasn't looking for another car or project, I've already got 5 cars and I am remodeling my basement and I'd have to keep this one on the driveway as a glorified lawn ornament for awhile. You are of course correct. What got to me was the pitch, a '37 knocking at my front door. I never had that happen before. The other projects have been calling and demanding more money and time, so I am regrettably going to pass on this one. Thanks for helping to talk me off the ledge, heehee.

39Fordfan
05-20-2021 @ 11:55 AM

1937sedandelivery,

Hi Gregg. I know! Me too. I was thinking people spent more than that on lawn ornaments. Which is probably what it would be, at least for awhile. I wasn't so worried about the cost to acquire it, it's just how much value can I add and at what cost both money and timewise? I've already got so many projects that I am behind on, I'm probably regrettably going to have to pass on it.

39Fordfan
05-20-2021 @ 11:47 AM

trjford8, Thanks so much for looking for those listings. Maybe it's a good sign for the market that they were gone? I haven't heard of a flathead with C-4 automatic. I guess I need to get out more, heehee. I might have interest in it? I was mostly interested in the '37 because one came knocking at my front door. But you never know, right?

TomO
05-20-2021 @ 8:46 AM
Senior

All I have to say is that any project car will cost more to restore than you can sell it for. The cost of metal OR paint work will be more than you can sell a car for in this market, if you are not a good metal man and painter.

Tom

kubes40
05-20-2021 @ 6:40 AM
Senior

$1500 sounds about right for an asking price. I trust he expects to get that negotiated down.
These cars do not realize a lot of money and in my opinion, you're best to spend a bit more up front and get a decent driver quality car.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1937sedandelivery
05-19-2021 @ 7:47 PM
Senior

Wow, $1500 is a gonga in my thinking. I would snap it up if someone was offering it to me. But, realize that I am a 37 addict and not always thinking straight!

For sure, do what is best for you and your ambitions.

gregg

trjford8
05-19-2021 @ 5:14 PM
Senior

39fordfan, I just checked and both cars are gone. One was a tudor flatback and the other was a 4 door flatback. Both were less than . The 4 door was $14,000 and the tudor was $15,000.They were nice cars with good paint and upholstery and mostly stock. I saw them about 5 days ago. I have a friend who may be selling his 37 tudor. It's a flathead car with a C-4 automatic behind the flathead. Let me know if you are interested and I'll check for sure.

39Fordfan
05-19-2021 @ 4:49 PM

Hi trjford8,

Yes that Age 60 Rule seems to be a good one. My Dad was told of that Rule back in the 80's when he started the project on his '39 Deluxe that he'd owned since he was 16. He would've gotten away with bucking the Rule by starting the project when he was 65, except he had an excellent painter who pulled the body off to paint it, but it turns out he was a cr*ppy mechanic when it came to putting it back together again and ran the clock out on my Dad. Now I'm getting close to the same boat, heehee.

I had a look on the California Craigslist Ads and couldn't find the Ads you mentioned. Is it possible for you to post the links? I'd love to look at them, if possible. I found a really nice '39 pick up truck in Los Angeles for $19,000.

39Fordfan
05-19-2021 @ 4:30 PM

'37 Ragtopman,

Thanks! That's really good feedback. That's a lot of stuff I didn't know. I'm not sure if there is anything left on those tires to see if it is a 60 hp car? Yes it is a 2 door flat back sedan. Not the humpback.

I don't have the greatest car skills, I don't weld or paint (though I am one the world's best airbrush artist's) I'm a good parts finder and changer. And as a former General Contractor I'm good at finding people and at getting projects finished as seen with my '39 Deluxe.

I was sort of thinking of getting a title for it, and then seeing if I can find a chassis for it and then see where I'm at. I've already got 3 classic cars, two that are complete but always want attention, and one that is in need of a body off. But like you say, it might be cheaper to just go out and buy one of these. I don't need more things to do, but it's not everyday that a '37 Ford comes knocking at your front door either...

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org