LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Speedway (Getz) 3.25 Gear Set?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Speedway (Getz) 3.25 Gear Set? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

supereal
07-02-2010 @ 9:53 AM
Senior

I agree, but Ford never installed such a set, so if the count is correct. it had to be a replacement set. Unless you live in a dead level part of the country, a 3:25 rear would be a problem. If the new owner was told that it had a 3:25, and his count is correct, it may be true. Not all sellers are truthful, of course, but embellish the list of equipment, as many have found out too late.

Texas40
07-02-2010 @ 6:29 AM

To Supereal: Speedway does offer a 3.25 gear (I have installed one and also have another new one in the box)> Not genie Ford but with the 12 tooth pinion and 39 tooth ring it does deliver 3.25. I was impressed with performance in a 21 stud engine car I installed it in so I bought one for myself.

deluxe40
07-01-2010 @ 7:47 PM

To count the teeth on the ring gear I jacked up the back of the car so the oil ran toward the front, pulled the oil filler plug, put a small drop of white paint on one ring gear tooth (after wiping off the oil), waited overnight until the paint dried and then turned a rear wheel while counting teeth until the white dot came up again. I have done this on four cars lately and it works great. I even scr*ped off the drop of white paint when I was finished. A high intensity flashlight is helpful.

I agree that a 3.54 is possible because both the 3.54 and the 3.75 use a 39 tooth ring and I can't see the pinion. However, the previous owner's statement that the car has a 3.25 plus my experiment that showed the engine turns over only a little more than 3 1/4 turns for one revolution of the wheels make me lean toward 3.25. I'm still hoping the previous owner has a receipt that will document the 3.25.

supereal
07-01-2010 @ 11:41 AM
Senior

To count the teeth of the ring gear, both rear wheels have to be off the ground so the spiders don't interfere. I'm not sure how you counted the teeth on the ring gear if you didn't have the axle apart. That is the only way you can actually see the pinion, too. 34 divided by 9 in 3:78. Ford didn't supply a 3:25 rear. If you actually have a ring gear with 39 teeth, it is very likely you have a 3:54 ratio (39-11).

deluxe40
06-30-2010 @ 4:17 PM

Bottom of the banjo has "9 34" so the gear set has been changed because the ring gear has 39 teeth.

My wife was reluctant to crawl under the car to watch the ring gear turn so I decided to jack up one rear wheel and have her watch the other wheel as I turned the engine over while watching a chalk mark on the crank pulley. Each revolution of the engine turned the rear wheel about 2/3 of a revolution. Must be something about spider gears I don't understand.

For my next attempt I put the car on the ground in high gear and, with the remote starter switch (and the ignition keys in my pocket), I cranked the engine until the rear wheels had made one revolution. At that point the crank pulley had made 3 revolutions plus about 20 degrees. An exact 3 revolutions +15 degrees would have indicated 3.25 while an exact 3 revolutions +32.4 degrees would suggest a 3.54. Given that 20 is closer to 15 than it is to 32.4, I'll say the car has a 3.25 gear.

I then went for a nice long ride to replenish the charge I burned off of the battery and make sure I really like the gearing, even in town (I do).

supereal
06-30-2010 @ 9:16 AM
Senior

Look for a set of numbers stamped into the bottom "web" of the rear end banjo. It may be hard to spot without scrubbing the area. If you find it, divide one number into the other. For instance, if you find 34-9, you have a 3-78 ratio. 37-9 shows a 4-11. 3-54 shows up occasionally. That would show 39-11. Some internals have been replaced over the years, but mostly the stamped numbers will be true.

deluxe40
06-29-2010 @ 7:35 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback. Mitch*ll Manufacturing got right back with a note telling me that their Model 1000 is 10 inches square and extends 3 inches both up and down from the drive shaft centerline. They install it 6 1/2 inches from the banjo. So it looks like I need 16 1/2 inches where I only see 15 at the most. They also said that the floor in a '40 business (opera) coupe does need to be modified, but the floor in a regular coupe does not. I'm thinking Ford used the business coupe floor pan on the delivery to make room for the gas tank. Next step is to make a cardboard mockup to see what might need to change.

Thanks also to Texas40 for verifying that the 3.25 has 39/12 teeth. That means I am still not positive what I have. Maybe I can put white dots on the ring gear and the crank pulley and then turn the engine until the ring gear goes around once and see if the engine has turned 3 1/4 vs. 3 1/2 times. With the inevitable slop in the drive line it will likely be hard to tell.

p.s. There was a complete Columbia at the L.A. Roadsters' swap meet last week - $4250.

Texas40
06-29-2010 @ 7:04 AM

I have a speedway 3.25 gear, it has a 12 tooth pinion which gives it a 3.25 ratio with the 39 ring. I have not found the power loss everyone else seems to believe. I live in Texas so its probably not for West Virginia driving but LA or Texas flat roads its fine. I find its perfect. I rarely going up a very steep grade so you might have to use second occasionally but its been so long ago that I experienced that I can't even remember it. Performance and cooling advantages at highway speed make it perfect for me.

Pauls39
06-28-2010 @ 7:15 PM

The Mitch*ll OD is available with a Cable shifter or a solid rod your choice when ordering. The 3.25 sounds a bit steep, but that would depend on your motor's HP. I like the versatility of the OD.

supereal
06-28-2010 @ 11:26 AM
Senior

The clearance isn't a problem. The only objection I had to my OD was the lever control. We made a bracket at the OD end, and installed a truck PTO cable with the knob just befow the dash on the left side. I'm not familiar with the Getz gear set, but we have put together a number of the old style rear ends. It is a big job, requiring considerable assembly and disassembly of the axle to get the lash and mesh correct. Installing the pinion and bearing assembly is also tricky. Simply swapping torque tubes is considerably less work.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org