LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1936 Ford V8 Service/Restoration Thread

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1936 Ford V8 Service/Restoration Thread -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Ketronj281989
10-10-2020 @ 6:59 AM

I have always found the early Ford V8’s fascinating. Now at the age of 31 I have finally obtained my very own to service and enjoy. Back in June of this year 2020 an opportunity approached regarding a 1936 Ford Tudor Touring Deluxe. An elderly gentleman was selling the car and had only owned it for two years. Digging deeper regarding the car’s history I discovered it was put up on blocks in a garage back in 1984. The car sat in that garage undisturbed until 2018. The elderly gentleman pulled the car from storage and had a mechanic replace the gas tank and install a post war fuel pump and carb. Fuel system working again, he only drove the car twice. Put back in the garage shortly after the fuel service in 2018, the car sat once again until my purchasing just recently this summer 2020.

This old Ford was the very first early V8 I had ever seen in person. I did not know about the Early Ford V8 Club of America. I did not know about the Ford Barn. I didn’t know a single soul who had ever owned a 1930’s Ford V8. Going off the information from the old man, I was led to believe this 1936 Ford Touring sedan was an all original deluxe survivor car. At this moment, let us just say the old man was maybe partially right. I have been digging into the car and studying more about these early V8’s, especially the 1935/1936-year cars. I have the club book and 15 other books/brochures/service books detailing 1935/1936 as well as 1932-1940 V8’s. I have been committing several hours 6 days a week to reading and studying about this car. I want to know the 1935/1936-year cars inside and out. Now three months into the car and my Ford books, things are starting to look incorrect regarding mechanical and cosmetic items on the car.

There are items I am still scratching my head on when it comes to authenticity and the identity of what this car was off the line new in 1936. I wanted to document my servicing and research thru a general topic here on the forum for those who are interested as well as those seeking more information on the 1936 year Ford car. There will be plenty of questions along the way; I am brand new with Ford V8’s. This is my first pre-war car and my first mechanical experience with a pre-war car. On the side I have been reading and studying up regarding the 1936-year Ford, all of it’s features as well as general motoring applications regarding 1930’s cars and the technology used during that time regarding mechanical items and definitions. I grew up in the 1990’s, so this pre-war car stuff is brand new to me. I am ready and willing to learn. I am the type of person that hits the ground running, so let us get started!

I will be including a YouTube video series to document the servicing of the car for those interested.

Video below was made prior to the discovery this car was originally a standard that was later made into a deluxe via a collector 30+ years ago. A decision has been made to take this car back to it's origin, a standard. Key evidence and facts point to the car's origin that it was indeed a standard car ordered/purchased by first owner in 1936.

YouTube Exterior video (Disclaimer: thru much research, I now know the car is not 90-100 percent original!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2r3butdXZY&t=111s

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Deluxe Tudor Touring Sedan

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 10-31-20 @ 2:33 PM

Ketronj281989
10-10-2020 @ 7:02 AM

My first order of business post purchasing will be the mechanical servicing of the car. I drove the car on 6 occasions before putting it in the garage for winter servicing. All 6 of these occasions were 5 to 10 min. trips around the block. This is all the car would do before sputtering, overheating, and grinding gears. Now with that said, I have been driving a standard transmission since I was 15. This transmission seems different from a modern one; I have noticed I have to shift the transmission in this Ford slowly to allow for the synchronizer to engage. Prior to hopping into the car for the first time, I already knew reverse and 1st are not synchronized. I have since discovered am having a general transmission problem, more on that later!

Several major finding while the car was driven around the block:
- Temp. gauge fluid rose to top of sight glass within 10 minutes of running and driving
- Car would sputter, lose power upon acceleration
- Car had trouble shifting between gears, mainly 1st and 2nd
- 3rd gear was only obtained on two occasions, seemed to work fine
- Down shift from 3rd to 2nd on those two occasions seemed to work fine

I was ultra-excited to have my very own pre-war car, especially a Ford V8. I was very eager to drive it on the road. These small “outings” quickly made me realize I was going to have to perform some major service work on the car.

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989
10-10-2020 @ 7:11 AM

The tires must be decades old and are clearly unsafe to use today. Gum dipped Firestone deluxe, each tire is stamped “made in New Zealand”! The white walls on each are checkered. The spare has never been used before and has a nice bulge on one side. Guess the tube inside is possibly going bad? I would guess these tires are at least 30 years old or even older.

Nice to see the accessory stainless steel wheel bands on all 5 wheels!!

A harbor freight interior upholstery tool made from plastic is the finest tool to pull the hubcaps, no marring at all!!

Jon Ketron

Ketronj281989
10-10-2020 @ 7:37 AM

The previous owner told me the car used to run in parades and car shows back in the early 1980s and before. He did not own the car back then though. Digging in the trunk I located three boxes of small parts. Two of the boxes had an old address (likely the owner before this old man) dated 1980 and 1982. Several old sales receipts for reproduction Ford V8 spring shackles, cotter pins, and bearings were dated 1980. The glove box contained quite a few items from the 1980s. One of those items included a map dated from the early 1980s. The previous owner didn’t know much regarding the car’s history. He purchased it at an estate auction back in 2018, owned prior by a deceased friend who had it for several years prior to passing.

Jon Ketron

TonyM
10-10-2020 @ 6:15 PM

Looks good . Good luck with the car.

78-730B

flatfoot
10-17-2020 @ 6:24 PM

I have a '36 deluxe fordor tourning sedan. The spark plug wires on your are correct. This is a very nice car. Door handles appear correct and the interior also. The fuel pump on mine which is a late model does not have a glass bowl. If you need photos I can send them to you. Good luck. I drive mine rain or shine and almost every day. I also drive it in the winter, if it is not snowing or icy.

Ketronj281989
10-20-2020 @ 4:41 PM

flatfoot,

Thank you for your response. I would greatly appreciate photos for reference during my restoration. My Email is:

Trainmaster227@gmail.com

I too plan to drive this car daily once complete! More updates to come soon.

Jon Ketron

This message was edited by Ketronj281989 on 10-20-20 @ 4:42 PM

therunwaybehind
10-22-2020 @ 1:49 AM

I can give you some understanding of the tires. First the bulge on the sidewall of the spare is a separation of the exterior body rubber of the tire from the cords. It is not something changing the tube will cure. It was generally due to rubber dust in the factory not allowing a good vulcanization bond between the body and the cords. Secondly on the weather checking from sunlight ultraviolet rays. The danger is if the cord body is cotton which can rot from moisture entering the checked surface. If the cord body is rayon (and so marked) the danger then is dust and grit entering and abrading the cords. The spare tire blister was more common on U.S. Royal tires and sometimes caused the sidewall to contact the springs on the rear of Fords after 1949 that had the two longitudinal springs of a Hotchkiss style rear end. This kind of blister can blowout. It is unlikely that the cord body of these tires is nylon which had their own kink which was known as flat spotting and the thumping that occurred until the cords warmed up in cold weather.

I personally don't like the look of a 1935 because the body was thrown forward to give more passenger space and length for a trunk. You can find details about this in brochures of that era. The 1936 because of it's more pointed grille takes away the forced look of the 1935.

Shifting the transmission might require you to learn how to double clutch which is disengage the gear by pressing in the clutch then accelerate the engine in neutral to match the lower gear if shifting down or simply letting the engine decelerate a bit and then in either case engage the desired gear up or down and reengage the driveline by letting out the clutch. See! No jerk! and no grinding or blocking. The second and third relationship is by a dog clutch termed a synchronizer and is relatively simpler to operate but might result in jumping out of gear on deceleration in gear under load if the shifter fork is badly worn.

The later cars had almost the same wheel base as the 1936 but had different spring bases and spring lengths such that their track was the same with a goal of a softer ride.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 10-22-20 @ 1:50 AM

Model B
10-22-2020 @ 7:43 AM

Jon, First of all...you have a NICE looking car there! I would repair the problems that you have found and drive the heck out of it! Some things will correct themselves just by driving it a little. Other things, radiator for instance, may need to be checked out by a reputable radiator repair shop. We have a great radiator shop here in Wilmington, OH that specializes in vintage radiators (Powell's Radiator Shop). You are going to enjoy your car...along with everyone that sees it going down the road! Welcome aboard!

Pat

Ketronj281989
10-22-2020 @ 2:16 PM

therunwaybehind,

Thank you for the info on the tires. I looked over all five, each stamped "4 ply rayon". Will be replacing the tires this spring before the car is on the road. All new information for me, thanks for the explanations!

I have heard of double clutching the Model A cars. Appreciate the explanation and walkthrough. In a perfect world with a perfectly tuned/serviced transmission would I really need to double-clutch this car? Intermediate and high gear are synchronized. Reverse and low I have to be at a stop before shifting the lever right?

Jon Ketron
1936 Ford V8 Tudor Touring Sedan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4 5 6

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org