LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Head removal

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Head removal

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

lightflyer1
06-18-2010 @ 10:11 AM

My friend has a 36 coupe with a stock engine. When trying to start yesterday the engine locked up. He pulled the plugs and turned it over and it spun free although water gushed from one spark plug hole. Now he is trying to remove the head, but after removing the bolts/studs (? I wasn't there) the head won't come free. Are there some hidden bolts/studs/nuts or is it just stuck to the block? I suggested using a deadfall mallet tapping around the edges or maybe some kind of jig to slowly pull it off. Any info to help him? Thanks in advance!

David

supereal
06-18-2010 @ 11:42 AM
Senior

The lockup was "hydro lock" caused by coolant in the cylinder. Be sure to check the rod and piston in that cylinder to see if it was damaged. The best to hope for is a bad head gasket, as it could be a block crack. You didn't say whether the head is iron or aluminum. The iron heads should come off with a bit of persuasion by a soft headed hammer and a putty knife inserted between the head and the block. Tap the sides of the head as you pry. If the head is aluminum, it is likely bonded to the studs. If it doesn't respond to the methods above, it may have to be destroyed to remove it. We use a special hole saw that just fits over the studs, and about half the time, the head can be reused if done with care. If you do get the head off, plan to have the gasket surface machined flat before reinstalling it, whether it is either type. Be careful when prying not to damage the block. Good luck, and tell us how this comes out.

lightflyer1
06-18-2010 @ 12:38 PM

I was told the head was iron. I also knew about hydrolock and told him about that as well. I will keep you informed as to what happens next. Thanks!

lightflyer1
06-18-2010 @ 1:17 PM

Head came off. Thanks!

Crack in the block between cylinder and valve seat he said (2 of them close together). Needs professional input for rebuild possibilities or another engine. Any recommendations for competent help in the Central Texas area?

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 6-18-10 @ 1:19 PM

lightflyer1
06-18-2010 @ 5:23 PM

So he spoke with someone today who said they can fix the cracks between the valve seat and cylinder using something called "stiching". Any ideas on this? Supposedly opens up the crach and refills it with ? and remachines it back like original. I have heard of something like this with AL heads badly beaten up being repaired by building up the low spots and machining back. The old V8 site used to have some pictures I remember seeing of someone that had repaired a split as described in some blocks (Supereal?).

Ah Ha!

http://www.locknstitch.com/Metal_Stitching.htm

Would this be the correct method?

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 6-18-10 @ 5:26 PM

supereal
06-19-2010 @ 9:00 AM
Senior

In most cases, any crack large enough to fill the cylinder with coolant is not worthy of attempts to repair it. With sound blocks still around, by getting very pricey, it is still the best choice. I am attaching some photos of repaired block at our shop. These were cracks that were visible, but not reaching into the water jacket. If any pinning is attempted, the block will certainly have to be treated with a special sealing compound. Even then, the outcome is dicey.

supereal
06-19-2010 @ 9:01 AM
Senior

If it didn't post, I'll try again.

This message was edited by supereal on 6-19-10 @ 9:06 AM

supereal
06-19-2010 @ 9:07 AM
Senior

My system seems to be cranky today.

37RAGTOPMAN
06-19-2010 @ 12:35 PM
Senior

I would take the engine to a good auto truck repair shop and see what they say,
the crack should atleast be magafluxed and see were the crack runs too,
I stitched many engines in the water jacket andhaveno problems. around the valves is another story, you would want to get a expert opinon,
what about posting a picture. so we could have a look see, you might get more opinions,
the web site with the stitch process is very interesting, I have a kit that consisted of tapered studs,and tapered tap,
if you do any stitching on the top of block you will have to get it machined or very carefully make the stitching even with the rest of the top of block,
remember everyday they repair heads and blocks for many makes or gas and diesel engines,with out any problems,some of these heads runs in the thousands,and to repair is the way to go,but maybe you would want to get maybe a backup block just incase
buy it with a money back if it is cracked guarrantee
KEEP ON TRUCKIN, 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal
06-20-2010 @ 2:46 PM
Senior

The main problem with a block that is badly cracked is the probability of water getting into the oil and ruining the bearings. We had one like that last year brought to us. It had a crack down the side of one cylinder, and someone had tried to sleeve that cylinder. The sleeve let loose at the bottom and ruined the otherwise good engine. We use a silicon material in blocks and heads that we suspect of leaking, but don't show up on the MagnaFlux machine. Repairing bad cracks is dicey at best, and we prefer not to do it because it makes our rebuild guarantee the fall guy if the repair doesn't hold.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org