LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / What sizeCar Hauler Trailer

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: What sizeCar Hauler Trailer -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

foto1man
09-30-2019 @ 8:30 AM

Hello,

I have a '35 Phaeton and I need to tap in to everyone's experience. I wanting to get a car hauler trailer and I don't know what length, height and width to get. Also any extras to get like an escape door, types of tie downs, etc.?

Kenneth

This message was edited by foto1man on 9-30-19 @ 8:37 AM

1940 Tom
09-30-2019 @ 5:46 PM

Good Evening, Kenneth--

First of all - before we go any further - I do not own a car trailer.

However, I have some friends who do, and I have helped them load, unload, and transport their cars in their trailers

I am sure that you will be getting lots of additional responses and help from my fellow Club members on this subject, so you should have your questions answered soon.

There are lots of trailer manufacturers, but the brand that I am most familiar with is Featherlite. Unfortunately, they ain't the cheapest! Do a Google Search - "enclosed automobile trailers", and see what you come up with.

I'd get some recommendations on enclosed car trailers from other Club members. Do some online research on each of them, and then give them a call. Have your Phaeton measurements handy and talk to a sales rep. Tell him what you are looking for, your tow vehicle, etc. I think the escape door is a good idea and you definitely want interior lighting. I think most manufacturers offer a rooftop A/C unit for their trailers, in case you plan to use the trailer at shows in a hot, humid climate.

See what my fellow Club members, who actually OWN trailers, have to say, and then go from there.

Good Luck.

Tom

Barney
10-01-2019 @ 4:45 AM

Hello,
I have an 18' beaver-tail car hauler trailer that I purchased new. It's manufacturer is "Quality." It works great for my '40 Fordor; plenty of room for tool box, cooler, whatever. I've hauled this car from NY to SC with ease. It'll handle almost 5000' of load. It has tandem axles, both with electric brakes. It has steel ramps that are stored beneath the trailer with easy access. Has a wooden deck of pressure-treated 2x8s. Holler back if you'd like more info.
Barney

3w2
10-01-2019 @ 4:48 AM
Senior

A twenty-foot enclosed car hauling trailer (box length) will be adequate for your phaeton. Opt for extra heavy duty axles with brakes on both axles and radial tires (the ones especially for trailers) and extra interior lights at both the bottom and top of the side walls. If you can find one with a sloped roof in the front, it will haul easier, provide better fuel economy, and be less affected by passing semis and cross winds.

39 Ken
10-01-2019 @ 5:22 AM

All good suggestions above.
I bought a 24 ft trailer when I got my '32.
Reasons to go to a 24 footer:
Extra capacity for carrying other car stuff.
Bought my '39 and the trailer works well for that as well.
I haul my son's '51 and still room for that plus other stuff.
When I go to sell the trailer, I think the prospective buyer
may need it for a larger car than my '32 thus it will be easier to sell.
JMO but long term, the 24 just made more sense to me.
Ken

Model B
10-01-2019 @ 6:37 AM

I have had a 20' Haulmark enclosed trailer for 20 years. I would recommend a one-piece flat roof (no leaks). Make certain it has 16" on center floors (some have 24"). Most have the beaver tail loading ramp. I have hauled mostly 1932 Fords, but also have hauled a 1949 Mercury Convertible, 1935 Ford 3W, 1961 Corvette, 1967 Corvette with plenty of room. I use 4 floor-mounted "D" hooks with one-piece straps (the axle loops are incorporated in the straps). Two axles with electric brakes. My trailer is white and stays cool in the summer.

therunwaybehind
10-01-2019 @ 7:20 AM

My experience with jacking up and replacing tires on trailers first with a single axle and Mansfield tires in the hills of Tennessee on a hilly winding two lane road and the smooth years after once the tires were replaced with 8 ply truck tires seemed to go astray when my father bought a tandem axle trailer many years later and had an unnoticed blowout that led to smoke and a Sunday call from Western Auto to a warehouse in Chicago for a 6 ply Cooper truck tire from Iron Mountain Michigan says what is on a trailer new is not for road work. Auto haulers might be different. What else on a used trailer? The spring shackles. No two manufacturers are alike and they go obsolete as fast as the industry has ups and downs.

1934 Ford
10-01-2019 @ 2:59 PM
Senior

I prefer an open aluminum car trailer. Less weight an wind drag. I use a 7816 Aluma to haul my 1934 Fords, weight 1100 lb. and has two 3500 lb Torque flex axles with 4 wheel brakes. Open trailers are easier to load and tow, but don't offer use as a storage garage.
I also had a 20 Ft. Horton Hauler enclosed trailer with ramp door and inside beaver tail floor in the back. It had two 5500 lb Torque Flex axles (No springs) Any car hauler should have the Dexter Torque Flex axles.
The enclosed trailer carried more weight and the cars were inside, so we used it for a move from FL to NC as a moving van. 10 trips and no problems. SOLD it an use the open trailer for going to tours, just completed out 11th Glidden Tour. Only drawback t open is somethings you'll need to wash your car after trailering.
Must haves: Light Weight, Torque Flex axles, 4 wheel brakes, D-Rings to secure the car to the trailer and a triangular tongue box for tools, a jack and a wash bucket & supplies, 4 10,000 lb straps, two spare tires, good lights and aluminum ramps. 10-15% tongue weight when towing.
I cover the cars when parked (After being awakened by people taking flash pictures of them at night)
AACA has a good towing Forum with lots of info. https://forums.aaca.org/forum/92-garage-trailer-towing/

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 10-1-19 @ 4:12 PM

Eillbrown
12-28-2020 @ 1:04 PM

A 16-foot trailer is an excellent compromise between accommodating most cars, and not being unwieldy to tow. Flatbed trailers are most commonly 16-20 feet long, and enclosed trailers are most apt to fall in the range of 20-24 feet. More important than length is the total load capacity. Well my most car hauler done by Citizenshipper runners who help me to get rid of problems for escape door, types of tie downs, etc. And i think its much convenient
https://citizenshipper.com/vehicle-transportation

ford38v8
12-28-2020 @ 1:41 PM
Senior

After purchasing a single purpose trailer, you'll soon find it inadequate for other uses. Go with a larger enclosed unit with sufficient D rings, lights, electrical outlets, and additional doors to be useful for more than simply transporting your Phaeton. Importantly also, probably most importantly, is a weight distribution hitch.

Alan

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org