LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / new radiator what to put in

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: new radiator what to put in -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

Drbrown
04-17-2019 @ 7:49 AM
Senior

RADIATOR'S - IMHO: This comment "Water over the Dam" regarding your situation but I stayed with brass after reading report in a well-known trucking mag that compared brass vs. aluminum radiators and said they found little difference in cooling effect/capacity, and at that time higher prices for alum. They also commented: (1) Coolants with special anti-corrosive additives for cooling systems having iron and aluminum components (radiators, pumps, heads, etc) and (2) repairing a brass radiators generally easier than alum.

I prefer 50/50 Extended Life Prestone w/distilled water for my '47 and other family cars. I understand "extended" has slightly longer-lasting inhibitors. I use same in a 1980's vintage V8 GM car that has aluminum heads/cooled intake manifolds and radiator, AND with that car I change coolant at least every 2 to3 years.

RADIATOR FANS - IMHO: my '47 has newer brass radiator, 6-blade belt-drive fan, coolant as above, and stock 4 lb cap. Also have nice old shroud for fan but never used it. All worked fine UNTIL I decided 6-blade fan too noisy at high RPM i.e. when shifting thru gears. So installed an electric 2800 cfm puller fan - came with a partial shroud. Nice and quiet BUT then vapor lock problems started. Not enough air moving thru engine compartment - changed back to the six-blade belt-drive fan - vapor lock stopped. (Prior: gas line insulated, pump & carb rebuilt for ethanol use)

Yes, I use 87 oct gas with 10% ethanol - said to contribute to vapor lock. Non-ethanol gas is at least a half-hour away and 40 to 50 cents more per gallon, so I'm now happy with my noisy fan.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 4-17-19 @ 8:25 AM

MGG
04-16-2019 @ 4:39 PM

"Why buy the water when you can buy Prestone 50/50 which is anti freeze and water?
Regards, Steve Lee"

It is way less expensive to buy the concentrate antifreeze and mix it yourself.

hemi354az
04-16-2019 @ 1:17 PM

Late but I hope useful information-
50/50 mix of glycol boils at 227ºF. The stuff is in there to lower the FREEZING POINT, but it also RAISES the boiling point 15ºF.

The pressure cap is what saves modern engines. Each PSI raises the boiling point a little more than 3ºF.
If you start with 50/50 mix (227º), then a 7 psi cap raises the BP to (7 X 3 = 21º) 248ºF.
The original reason for pressurizing the coolant system was to get the vehicle over MOUNTAINS !
Increase BP so it would not be affected by LOWER BP at "altitude".
Rule of thumb is 1/2 psi ambient pressure drop per 1,000 ft. increase in altitude.
At 10,000 ft., Wolf Creek Pass, in Southern Colorado, ambient pressure has dropped 5 psi which lowers BP 15ºF which used up all the "cushion" the 50/50 glycol gave you and BP is back to 212º.
BUT . . . a pressure cap (7 psi = +21º in BP) puts it back at 233ºF boiling point at 10,000 ft.

Newer radiators (AND HEATER CORES !) use 15-16 psi caps that increase BP (15 X 3 = +45ºF) to 227º + 45º = 272º F !!!
Race cars (sprinters/Nascar) use 25 psi, even 30 psi caps with straight water !

So a new radiator with 50/50 and 7 psi cap has a 227º + 21º = 248º F Boiling Point.

Wonder if your new Ford radiator and heater core and all the hoses and fittings could take 10 psi ? Maybe NOT.
A 10 psi recovery type radiator cap would raise BP to 257º F !

Hope you have a radiator Coolant BURP CAN, and a Recovery Type Radiator CAP, and the sheet metal that keeps the air from going OVER the radiator or around each side, and a shroud, and a SUCK fan (electric or engine driven) on the engine side of the radiator. Interesting to see how the "fan shroud" has been "new and improved" over the years. I am not a fan of "flex fans" . . . ever see one on a Production Car ? Also I have never seen a coolant "fluid" failure of any kind using ethylene glycol (the GREEN STUFF !). As long as the system is full . . . it WORKS ! The "new and Improved" Extended Life elixirs, like Dex-Cool ? Real name is Death-Cool ! Generous Motors bought a lot of new engines for cars that came from the Factory with that stuff. USE GREEN 50/50 ONLY !
Boil ON, Lou in Aridzona

This message was edited by hemi354az on 4-16-19 @ 1:24 PM

woodiewagon46
03-22-2019 @ 9:34 AM
Senior

Carcrazy brings up an excellent question. A "pusher" fan does just that, it pushes the air thru the radiator and is mounted in front of the radiator. If in fact you are using a "pusher" fan, mounted behind the radiator, you will fight the air trying to come thru the radiator at speed. I'm also not a fan of aluminum radiators, but as to the aluminum vs brass/copper, there have been several articles in various hot rod related magazines and the brass/copper seems to run slightly cooler.

37RAGTOPMAN
03-22-2019 @ 8:50 AM
Senior

hi
if your car is in a garage, and it does not freeze, I would use distilled water,
I use the water that I get from a dehumidifier its FREE,
and a water pump lube,for no rust, or water wetter,
and this way if it does overheat, it does not make a MESS, stain the paint, and more,,,!!!
for at least till you get the problem solved,
I also found out that PEAK ANTIFREEZE, does not to foam out as much as other brands
I have one car that is not in a heated garage, and I use PEAK not deluded ,50-50 way pay for water,?
mix it your self,
good luck with new radiator,
let us know how you make out , with the over heating problem
my 2 cents 1937 RAGTOPMAN

carcrazy
03-22-2019 @ 7:44 AM
Senior

This may be a dumb question. When you installed the electric fan on the back of your radiator, did you have it wired up to push or pull air through the radiator? If you are going to use an electric fan, it is best to use it as a "puller" on the side of the radiator that faces the engine. Placing the fan toward the top of the radiator (where the coolant is hottest) will help as will the use of a shroud around the fan.

TomO
03-22-2019 @ 7:21 AM
Senior

You will need to have some anti-freeze in the radiator to prevent corrosion. Having an aluminum radiator makes having corrosion inhibitors more important. Check with the radiator manufacturer for their recommendations.

Tom

ford38v8
03-22-2019 @ 12:21 AM
Senior

gfstew, I'm not a fan of aluminum radiators, so I have no advice on coolant requirements on them, but I do have a pointer for you on your fan: You will notice that for all the cars over all the years of manufacture, they all have fans that pull air through the radiator, the best of those having a shroud. Pusher fans are not nearly as efficient and are never used in new cars for that reason.

Also, please discount any confrontational replies you get, there are few of those kind on our Forum.

Alan

sarahcecelia
03-21-2019 @ 7:42 PM
Senior

A brass radiator will run much cooler than an aluminum one; why do you think Henry used brass instead of aluminum, which is much cheaper than brass?

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia
03-21-2019 @ 7:39 PM
Senior

Why buy the water when you can buy Prestone 50/50 which is anti freeze and water?

Regards, Steve Lee

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org