LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Empty Carb?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Empty Carb? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

ford38v8
10-26-2018 @ 2:21 PM
Senior

A polite seeker of wisdom will refrain from showing his a$$ by insulting those who offer help.

Alan

ken ct.
10-26-2018 @ 2:08 PM
Senior

If you send me your old PV I will check it for leakage N/C if you pay shipping both ways. If bad I will contact you and see what you want to do. I have tested used ones for $10 if you want a good one back. It should say 65 stamped on it. ken Isidor ct. Shipping should be approx. $3 each way in a small padded envolope

Dustbowl
10-26-2018 @ 1:46 PM

I usually get good suggestions when I post a problem on this forum but, in this case, most of the responses are, in the current jargon, 'fake news".
For example, as a former oil refinery engineer, I know that gasoline volatility specifications have not significantly changed in the past 50 years. And an open container of gasoline will mostly, if not entirely, evaporate in a week.

The only really useful idea came from ken ct, who suggests changing the power valve. My question for ken is whether the power valve you suggest is any different than the one which is usually included in a carb rebuild kit? And if so, how can I get the one you suggest?

mfirth
10-26-2018 @ 12:38 PM

Thanks Tom. My carb is a new Dennis Carpenter which i bought two years ago. The previous one leaked or whatever
so i got the new one & there was no difference....... I know guys with all kinds of cars, big blocks, vw etc and they all do the same thing. One fellow has a 352 in an Edsel with a clear fuel filter & you can watch the fuel bubble in the filter when it is hot. It's weird ! I just put a shut off on the 52 Vic so i can run it dry when i put it in the garage. No more fumes. Yippee! Thanks again & have a GR8 weekend.

TomO
10-25-2018 @ 7:11 AM
Senior

Mike,

There are many different blends of gasoline, and the blend that you get depends upon where you live and what the EPA says about the environment. All blends of fuel need to meet the driveablity criteria of not being just volatile enough to pass the EPA rules on evaporation and yet being volatile enough to become a vapor in the intake manifold.

Your "boiling gas" is probably leaking past the power valve. In my area, we have "reformulated fuel" and it seems to leak past seals faster than the fuel used in rural areas that does not contain Ethanol. Temperature seems to have an effect on this. My Lincoln will flood on a hot day, when I stop the engine, unless I open the hood. I have not been able to find a good way to stop the fuel from leaking out of the bowl on that teapot yet. The Lincoln is much worse than a flathead for underhood temperatures. It gets so hot that you can burn your hand on the hood release.

If you have a spare carburetor or store your car for the winter, have your carburetor rebuilt by Charlie Schwendler. ..cas5845@yahoo.com . He will machine the bowl so that there will be no vacuum leaks and the power valve will seat and not leak.

Here is a link to an article on gasoline and its vapor pressure.

https://www.chevron.com/-/media/chevron/operations/documents/motor-gas-tech-review.pdf

Tom

mfirth
10-25-2018 @ 4:34 AM

Tom, thanks for the info. I'm in Ohio & every time i shut my 8ba with 180 stats,down the gas in the carb boils, expands & floods the engine. Have friends with various vehicles & they all experience the same thing. Boats using "marine fuel" do not. Isn't there a difference in formulations there too? Thanks 4 sharing your knowledge. m

Drbrown
10-24-2018 @ 6:32 PM
Senior

As said, I'm not as "knowledgeable" as you and many more experienced others here but I was remembering other posts re i.e leaking flex hoses at pump intake allowing air to enter the line when car sits and gas to drain back to tank, and/or when running allowing air to be sucked into pump etc etc.. And if it "sits for more than a week" ..... how much more ?

JT Ford
10-24-2018 @ 10:20 AM

If you grind on a starter for 30 seconds, it seams like for ever!

TomO
10-24-2018 @ 9:07 AM
Senior

Drbrown, you usually post good information, but in the case of fuel draining back to the tank, it is almost impossible.

The fuel inlet to the carburetor is above the fuel level, so there is an air gap in that the fuel cannot jump. The fuel pump sediment bowl fuel level may be high enough so that there is not an air gap, but once the fuel starts draining back to the tank, there will be an air gap.

Mike, I have left a graduated cup, with 2 ounces of fuel in it, on my work bench for more than a week and very little evaporated. The summer grade fuel sold on the US is designed to have a low volatility to reduce air pollution and differs by state with the colder states allowing more volatility than the warmer states.

A Ford fuel pump should prime in 18 seconds and fill the carburetor enough to start the engine in 30 seconds. If it does not, there is probably: an air leak in the supply line, the push rod is worn, the fuel pump is worn out or the line is plugged. Dustbowl's fuel pump is operating within specifications, so Ken's diagnosis of a leak in the carburetor is probably correct.

Tom

ken ct.
10-24-2018 @ 5:55 AM
Senior

Allen is right but Stromberg PV have NO rubber diaphragm in them. Simply a mechanical with an internal spring in it ,But they can still leak if they don't seat properly. Smell your dipstick for gas smell. ken ct

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org