LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1940 Deluxe Convertible

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 Deluxe Convertible

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

sarahcecelia
07-28-2018 @ 2:18 PM
Senior

Mike, I'd love it if you would post a diagram and/or schematic of the steel lines and rubber hoses and tees from the kick panel to the under seat area, and I'm sure it would help others with convertibles too. I see no steel lines in mine, but I guess I could make some somehow or have them made?? Do you know anybody that makes them???

sarahcecelia
07-28-2018 @ 2:05 PM
Senior

Which port on the top vacuum switch is up and which is down?

sarahcecelia
07-28-2018 @ 2:03 PM
Senior

How does the steel line get from the kick panel to the tunnel?

sarahcecelia
07-28-2018 @ 2:01 PM
Senior

Can you make both of these photos larger? the second one is kind of small to see the detail.

sarahcecelia
07-28-2018 @ 1:58 PM
Senior

Can't see much in the first photo Mike. (The one with the hose and steel tubing routing.)

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 8-3-18 @ 6:43 AM

kubes40
07-21-2018 @ 4:03 PM
Senior

Scott, I'd think at idle, perhaps a bit higher, you'd expect to see at least 12# or so.

Opening those canisters will cause no issues. On the end of that polished shaft is nothing more than a leather diaphragm.
As long as you have the cylinders out, I might suggest you open them. Be certain the cylinders are clean and the walls are not pitted.
I use an engine cylinder hone - the type with abrasive balls, to hone the cylinders a bit.
The leathers are often dry. If so, and they are not torn, soak them in Neatsfoot oil.
There is a seal at the top plate that surrounds the shaft... be certain that is pliable. If not, let me know and I'll get you the modern number.
Lastly, be certain that bottom nipple is not plugged.

Originally there was a very thin paper gasket between the top plate and the top lip of the canister. It will crumble when you disassemble the unit. Simply use a little silicone there... no issues.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sdflieg
07-21-2018 @ 11:43 AM

Kube,

Thanks for your response. The lines are all in place and the wipers do function. I have followed from the "T" on the inside of the firewall to the top controller in and out. I can confirm that the right size 5/16" tubing has been used. As far as the canisters I am not sure how to test them or what I might get into by opening them up.

Any idea how much vacuum pressure I should see coming off of the intake manifold.

Scott

Regards,

Scott D. Fliegel

kubes40
07-21-2018 @ 11:35 AM
Senior

This photo depicts the lines behind the rear seat riser.
The photo in my previous post depicts the lines along the floor - the same line(s) that run behind the cowl kick panel.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

kubes40
07-21-2018 @ 11:34 AM
Senior

Do the tanks function properly? That's the first place to check for top operating issues.
These can be rebuilt if necessary.

The routing of this system is fairly simple and if you desire, I can "dig out" a schematic.
Simply, vacuum is supplied via a rubber tube that is routed from a 5/16" diameter nipple located near the left - rear of the intake. That rubber hose is connected to a "TEE" fitting near the wiper motor. One 1/4" diameter rubber hose goes from the TEE to the wiper motor. Another rubber hose, 5/16" diameter is routed to the switch.

From the switch, there are two rubber hoses that are routed to a pair of steel lines behind the left cowl kick panel. Those steel lines are continuous and are routed on the floor - near the tunnel.
Once those steel lines enter the rear seat riser area, each is met with a rubber TEE. From that rubber TEE are yet more steel lines that end up near the bottom of each cylinder. A rubber hose (5/16") connects the line to the respective port on the cylinder.
I will post another picture in a separate post.

Vacuum? The short and sweet answer is as much as your engine will produce. Do not expect this top to operate anywhere near as well as your new Mercedes. It won't. I rebuild the entire system and even then, it operates "okay".

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sdflieg
07-21-2018 @ 10:57 AM

This is the vacuum actuator out of my 1940 Ford deluxe convertible. My top will not go up or down. Does anyone have ny schematics on the convertible tops, what the vacuum pressure should be, break out drawings etc? Any information is appreciated

Regards,

Scott D. Fliegel

This message was edited by sdflieg on 7-21-18 @ 11:10 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org