LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Another 36 Hubcap dilemma

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Another 36 Hubcap dilemma

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

BobWatts
06-26-2018 @ 3:42 PM

My God are things easy when you know what you're doing!

The cap pried off instantly with my trusty Harbor Freight trim tool requiring very little pressure and yes as Tom pointed out it goes

sailing if you're not ready .

Thanks you so much for the picture and kind explanations !

What a great community , a man in Iowa a fellow Watts read my plight and actually called me shortly after my post explaining as well the

5 clips and their location etc so thank you Mr Watts as well!

Bob

Inherited my Dad's 29-Pick up,30-Coupe,34-Cabriolet,36-5 window and 40 Hot Rod.

TomO
06-26-2018 @ 7:36 AM
Senior

Good post, Jeff

Tom

3w2
06-24-2018 @ 11:34 AM
Senior

VT/JeffH,

Exactly; something about the economy of pictures compared to words.

VT/JeffH
06-24-2018 @ 9:12 AM

In this next, I've tried to draw a line between the hubcap and the wheel. Towards the tire is the wheel. Towards the center is the hubcap.

Applying your efforts to this zone will reveal the lug nuts.

Your next task, to service the brakes, will be removing the rear hubs. Seek the purpose-built tool for this job.

Shout-Out to the authors of the club's '35-36 book, for the illustrations. Available here for those that don't already have two or three copies. https://shop.efv8.org/collections/ford-books/products/1935-1936-ford-book-softbound

-VT/JeffH

VT/JeffH
06-24-2018 @ 9:02 AM

I'm going to try two photos to help.

The wheel has five clips, circled in red. These hold the hubcap to the wheel.

-VT/JeffH

This message was edited by VT/JeffH on 6-24-18 @ 9:13 AM

3w2
06-23-2018 @ 5:48 PM
Senior

While all of the above are all well intentioned, they don't address your basic question which is how to remove the hub cap so that you can remove the wheel. If you remove the stainless cap with the V8 emblem on it it you will be sorely disappointed as you will not have gained access to the wheel lug nuts.

What you need to remove is not the stainless cap but the whole cap assembly which includes the painted area surrounding the stainless. It is a big cap and it is big for a reason which is that the wheel it is covering has a so-called 'wide-5' bolt (stud) pattern which is much wider than that of a modern car or any Ford except those from '36 through '39.

Those clips in your photo are intriguing and they are not original, but they have nothing to do with removing your wheel from its hub/brake drum.

TomO
06-23-2018 @ 7:03 AM
Senior

Those caps should be steel and prying them off with a plastic trim tool should not damage them. I would have a large sheet of thick cardboard by the wheel to catch the cap when it comes off, as sometimes they seem to have a mind of their own.

Bob Drake makes a hub cap removal tool that may give you more control.

Alan (ford38v8) uses a slide hammer that he made and may chime in on this topic. If not, send him a PM. It looks like a very good option.

Tom

nelsb01
06-22-2018 @ 6:48 PM
Senior

The cap looks like one for a spare tire cover. Maybe even a commercial vehicle.
If so, this cap has a steel liner inside which gives it a great deal of rigidity. It should snap closed and cover the locking mechanism.
The cap should also have 2 threaded bolts that it connects to a metal hinge so that it can pivot open.

Like MG said -- another photo could help.

MG
06-22-2018 @ 1:58 PM
Senior

I don't think they're original ( the clips). Show us a picture of the backside of the center cap....

Looks like you're trying to remove just the center (chrome) section of the hubcap to gain access to the lug nuts. You won't be able to get at the nuts without removing the hubcap in its entirety as seen in this picture >
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/350574658960-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

This message was edited by MG on 6-23-18 @ 10:00 PM

BobWatts
06-22-2018 @ 11:27 AM

I have read all I can find but haven't found mention of these 4 clips located at 12,3,6 and 9 o-clock that have something to do with holding the cap on. Are they original?
I can easily pry the cap up with a plastic trim tool and feeler gauges but it puts so much stress on the cap I'm afraid I will damage it if I continue and these caps don't seem to be available from the vendors.
I tried looking behind the spare but the spare of course has a lock preventing a look at the backside so that's a whole nother issue.
How to deal with these clips without scratching up the wheel has me stumped , should I have at it and expect the cap gives before it bends or ?
I have to get these wheels off to service the brakes and bearings.
Thanks for helping!

Inherited my Dad's 29-Pick up,30-Coupe,34-Cabriolet,36-5 window and 40 Hot Rod.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org