LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Earnest Money

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Earnest Money

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

len47merc
11-10-2017 @ 2:53 PM
Senior

Gents - on our EFV8's, should a fully vetted and confirmed buyer wish to provide a non-refundable deposit/earnest money of $1,000 to hold a car, what would be an appropriate amount of time to hold the car pending expiration of the hold period and loss of the non-refundable funds to the seller? Just curious if any of you have any experience in this regard and can share your thoughts. Thanks in advance -

Steve

ford38v8
11-10-2017 @ 3:47 PM
Senior

Steve, I wouldn't jeopardize a possible sale to capitalize on a holding fee. Most guys would want to see the car before making a commitment anyway, so there goes the holding fee if he doesn't like what he sees.
IMHO, just get his commitment on when his flight is scheduled, and play it by ear from there. Once he gets there and if he does want the car, demand green money cash, don't fool around with money orders that might backfire on you.

If it's you doing the buying, take him with you to your bank and the DMV for the title transfer.

Alan

kubes40
11-10-2017 @ 4:44 PM
Senior

Steve,
I've bought and sold numerous antique cars through the years. When a potential buyer has asked me to "hold" the car, I typically require a non-refundable deposit be wired to my bank. The time allowed to complete the transaction has varied. I tend to listen carefully the reason why they need a specific amount of time. Most folks have constraints placed upon themselves - family and career most typically, and as such can't fly across the country at the drop of a dime. I get that. Still, when I sell a vehicle, I want to sell it, IE complete the transfer, and as such, they need to understand that.
Nearly all of my transactions have had a seven to ten day limit.
I have yet to have an issue with potential buyer and in fact have never had a guy change his mind.
Bottom line in my opinion? I suppose it's reasonable that the time could be stretched a bit as the amount of the deposit is increased. NEVER beyond thirty days. Poop, if a guy can't arrange a flight, etc. in that amount of time, why the heck is attempting to buy a car?

As far as payment, I accept bank wire transfers. Once it is in my account, it's mine. Period.
Have the title signed in front of you. Fill it out completely and honestly as the state requires and make a copy then and there of both sides. Same goes for the receipt. Fill it out completely, both buyer and seller signing and dating it. Most dealers get a copy of the buyer's driver license as well.
Vetted and confirmed is good but no guarantee.

By the way, a deposit isn't a holding fee IF you have made that clear.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

trjford8
11-10-2017 @ 5:18 PM
Senior

Whether buying or selling make sure the paper work matches the identification # on the vehicle. If it doesn't match move on if you are the buyer. If you are a seller you should make sure all numbers match. If they don't match you need to get it corrected before attempting to sell. It could cause serious legal problems for the seller if the car sells and cannot be transferred to the new owner due to non matching numbers.

voced
11-11-2017 @ 7:36 AM

I remember selling a guy a car once and he paid for the car, but he never came to pick it up for over a year. And we didn't have his contact information. We were stuck with holding the car. Not sure what else we could do.
Now if I sell a car, I always put a mutually agreed upon deadline on the Bill of Sale
when it would be picked up and complete the purchase.

TomO
11-11-2017 @ 9:26 AM
Senior

I would add a storage fee if not picked up within a reasonable amount of time and make sure that you get a certificate of insurance so you do not have to insure the car.

Make sure that you have a release of liability signed also. If the car were stolen or damaged while in your possession, you may be liable.

Tom

supereal
11-11-2017 @ 11:46 AM
Senior

Have an attorney draw up simple contract of sale regarding any conditions of the transaction such as any statements, or lack of same, that could arise in the event the buyer becomes dissatisfied, and have the contract signed and acknowledged before a notary. I too, have been involved in the sale of collector cars, and this advice should be carefully considered. The cost of the agreement will be minor compared to facing a dispute or lawsuit.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org